1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Modify the Karma System ? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Forum Operations' started by Ken Edwards, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Get rid of the Positive/Negative values, and just have a total Karma Score

23 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. Don't allow new members to cast Karma votes until they have made 20 posts.

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. Don't allow new members to cast Karma votes until they have made 50 posts.

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  4. Don't allow new members to cast Karma votes until they have made 100 posts.

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  5. Change the term "Karma" to something else.

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  6. Change the term "Applaud" to something else.

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  7. Change the term "Smite" to something else.

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  1. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

The Karma System here at the Forum is in an experimental mode. I chose to try it out to see how it was received by our members, and if it was an entertaining and beneficial part of our Forum community, OR if it created more bad feelings and problems.

My ultimate goal is to have a on line community in which members enjoy contributing to the Forum and others to enjoy your contributions. All of the rules and functions of the Forum are geared toward making the Taxidermy Net Forum an enjoyable, helpful and beneficial place to visit.

There are some modifications that I can make to the Karma program, and some that I cannot make. For instance, I could change the number of minimum posts a person would have to make before being able to applaud or smite someone. But I cannot alter the program too remove the anonymity of the member applauding or smiting.

This seems like a good topic for a poll to see how the majority of members feel on this subject. I will use the results of this poll to modify or remove the Karma system entirely.

If you want to change the terms "Karma", "Applaud", or "Smite" to something else, feel free to respond below with your suggestions.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I didn't see the choice I would have checked off. I say get rid of the Karma thing alltogether.

3. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Maybe change "applaud" to "agree" and "smite" to "disagree". Or do away with the "smite" button all together that way it's say something nice or say nothing at all. :)

4. fesekula

fesekula Active Member

I do not see any usefull point in having the smite system. If you would keep it I would make it a minimum post of say 100 to help keep the a.r. people from giving bad feeling to some forum users. What ever Ken does I will agree with his choice.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I voted in the first post to keep it as it is. I THINK I can speak with some authority as it seems that I'm the world champ here (111 applauds and 125 smites - GEEZ how long did that take someone?) I get a chuckle out of it. It reminds me of what a buddy of mine told me about dove hunting. He went out and shot 4 boxes of shells and I told him I was sorry he only got 4 birds. He laughed and said, "George, anytime I can shoot my gun 100 times, I don't care if I ever kill anything or not. I know I had a good time." Sort of the way I feel about having someone, somewhere, for some reason click on one or the other of those icons 236 times. If I get a couple more, I'll ask Rich and Michael Pelz to start genuflecting when they address my posts. LMAO. Like Rick Carter said, "Snakes do what snakes do."

6. Dave H.

Dave H. New Member

I would like to see it if possible, limited to the buying and selling section of the forum. So we can somehow use it to help to help get rid of the crooks who prey on the honest folks on this great website. Also if we could limit it to members only it might cut down on the so called drive by smiters, ( is that a word ?) thanks Ken

7. B KENNEDY

B KENNEDY “THE YOUNG GUN”

OHIO
    I would like it if you where able to tell what you had been smited for. Because right now it just looks like a game to juveniles of this forum. For example look at Georges Karma.

Keep up the good work Ken.

8. I didn't see the choice I would have checked off. I say get rid of the Cecil thing alltogether.

9. longbow

longbow Guest

Ken; When you look at Georges Karma and Superpigs Karma you realize that the Karma thing is being used like a video game wher all the dippy zits pick an enemy and just keep on getting their giggles cause they don't really have the wherewithall(big word) to step up to the microphone and say it like it really is.C'mon now smiting Evelyn for a TERF post to show us what is going on with the fund, it's obvious there are a bunch of non taxidermists in our midst or maybe their anti hunting activists(who knows). Change the name to Dip Zits Opinions and let those who don't have to hide behind a computer screen enjoy what you truly intended this website to be, a place for taxidermy enthusiasts to meet and exchange ideas and opinions no matter how popular some of them might be and do it with a community spirit. I envy you Ken because I don't have the computer skills you obviously have but I still know how to send a thank you to someone who deserves it. Thank You Ken..

10. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Your driving Ken, I say put a minimum number of post or get rid of it! When they go to hitting Piggy it's time to do something. I know there's several on here like "myself" that can rub people wrong just by being a registered user, But Evelyn should have the negative marks (smite bombs) cleared off of her name.

11. Lou

Lou Modern day Mona Lisa :-)

PA
    Really, what does it matter? If you use an internet forum smite counter to measure your character there are other issues? Just ignore it and go about your business. We're all aware of it so be it.

12. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict So many whitetails...So little time!

I voted to get rid of it completely. Yes, I realize I'll get "bad karma" for doing so! LOL!
    If you want to make a forum specifically for good/bad deals that would be great. But a forum is about open discussion and nobody will agree with everything 100% of the time.

One of the great things about the forums is open debates, it can reinforce an opinion or change it depending on how the topic is discussed. And I think it's pointless to give someone a "negative" karma point if you disagree with their point of view.

Just my three cents...

Paul

13. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Just make it go away, or use it only to rate sellers. I dont see how you can justify having it for any other reason. Im not sure you should even have it to rate sellers if it has to be anonymous. that allows anyone with a bone to pick to affect a persons income. So just make it go away !!!

14. I don't think it really matters what you change the karma to there will always be someone
    who will use them as a game. Even if you had them on the Wanted & For Sell catagories we still would not know
    if the rates of buyers or sellers are accurate.

15. El wabbit

El wabbit Guest

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(").....Like George said leave it be, now where's that
    pesky wolf?

16. Ken, I really appreciate what you are doing for us to have a FREE forum for all to enjoy. Unfortunately, no matter how hard you work to make this a nice place for us, there always will be a few who have to be disruptive, behave like little kids, or get a kick out of just being spiteful. That is unfortunate but true. :-\

I also appreciate several folks on here standing up for me. Geez I feel so singled out, in a good way, now. ::)

I think the idea Becky had is probably the one I would choose. Only have a positive karma button. If you have nothing nice to say about someone, keep your mouth shut. If you like the post, give it the credit it deserves. This would most definitely take care of the ones who just like to be mean and spiteful. They sure would not hit the positive button for anything.

If anyone's smites need to be erased it should be yours Ken. :)

17. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

I got smited and i dont know why. If you must keep the karma we should be able to see who gave it to us and why.
    or as D.H said - keep it for just the selling & buying.

18. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Several very valid points were made. It's not that big of a deal in the first place. But the data created from this system are seriously flawed. Therefore, I'm with Cecil - dump it. BUT, if you want to keep it, Super Pig nailed it. Just have the positive feedback button. People will hold grudges and smite/jam people for whatever reasons. But, if you just have a positive feedback button I think the data created from it will be much more accurate... (Just my opinion, PLEASE don't "smite " me - lol!!!)

19. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Hey Piggy I just gave you an applaud. Just wanted you to know who gave it....lol

20. Griz

Griz New Member

First off I think it is way too early to make much of a change at all. Give some more time for the newness to wear off and the morons to stop smiting people. Then make little adjustments, it's never good to go from one extreme to the other. I think it is interesting enough to TRY to make it work. It would be nice to know WHO smited you or at least why. It would be nice to limit the times you can be smited by one person, you can vote on each person once sorta thing, but then again, it might take a genius quite a while to program something like that, but I think Ken might be able to get it done. At the very least it would be nice to only let registered users smite. I kinda like trying not to get smited, but I realize by just saying that I have ensured some smite. BUt maybe more applause than smite.

But I am beginning to realize that 100 posts, is alot of posts!! And just cause somebody has alot of free time to sit at the computer and yap on here doesn't make them qualified more than the rest of us to smite or applaud people.