1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Modify the Karma System ? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Forum Operations' started by Ken Edwards, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Get rid of the Positive/Negative values, and just have a total Karma Score

23 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. Don't allow new members to cast Karma votes until they have made 20 posts.

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. Don't allow new members to cast Karma votes until they have made 50 posts.

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  4. Don't allow new members to cast Karma votes until they have made 100 posts.

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  5. Change the term "Karma" to something else.

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  6. Change the term "Applaud" to something else.

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  7. Change the term "Smite" to something else.

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  1. coreyponder

coreyponder New Member

karma thing is rediculous. it makes no sense at all. ive had nothing but GOOD dealings on this site,and im already at -13. by looking at -13,some people might not want to do buisness. my vote is to do away with it

2. Griz

Griz New Member

just curious, Ken, but can you see who smites who? And who smited you? And also is a minimum length of time a possibility instead of minimum amount of posts?

3. Brewster

Brewster New Member

I wish I could post with a different name here, but be that as it may, I would like to donate my 5 applauds to Piggy, I cant shift them if I could I would. So someone on the other end please transfur them. A Second thought instead of scrapping the whole karma thing -maybe just strike everyone to "0" and give the new 24 hr thing a real try for awhile?

Brew

4. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

can you limit the amount of times per day a person can give karma? One site I am one you have to spread it around you can't keep giving rep over and over to the same people. Or limit it to like 5 times per login or something like that? maybe it is already idk...I agree you should be able to see who gives it not just for yourself but others so if you are basing your opinion of that person on it you can read the comments not just go by the numbers alone.

5. Wolf

Wolf AHOOoooooo!

(\__/)
    ( )
    ( ? ).....
    Wabbit... your going to wake up one morning missing your cotton-tail, lol.

I say make it so members have to post a number of posts... 20 - 50 before they can smite or applaud. I'm with George, I don't really care about the Karma system, but it sure is amusing. I probably earned a few smites with my controversial posts... Mostly I'm just a wild canine hunting Wabbits!

VvvvvV
    /\^^^^/\ Wolf

6. rcb

rcb home is where the heart is, it's good to be home

Well, Well, Well, seems to be a pretty deep subject. You are the driver Ken, I am just along for the ride. RCB

7. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict So many whitetails...So little time!

My point exactly! If I was looking to buy and saw this person's "karma" rating and took it seriously, I would probably avoid them. And if people agree that it is pointless or that they wouldn't pay attention to karma ratings in the first place, than why even waste the bandwidth to have them?

8. Uncle Stuffy

Uncle Stuffy New Member

UK
    Ken,

The Karma is a good idea because it gives people opportunity to air their view as to someones behaviour (although open to abuse) but there is no action required. By this I mean that I can smite someone and not justify my reason thus the score does not actually reflect true karma.

Is there not a way of setting up an internal system to register complaints that is controller by administrators (or appointed person) (I know is long and time consuming). BY doing this, the complainer would have to make a case.

Taking a leaf from ebays book, is it an option to rate someone on their profile as well as leave a comment. Perhaps you could have "ready to tick" boxes to avoid ambiguous comments.

I hope that you can found the gem in my cloud like ramblings

Kindest regards

9. jimsoverns

jimsoverns New Member

i think the only change that is needed is the actions of the members of this forum, however that is not likely to happen,,,so i would suggest that any member be able to check the origin of either a smite or an applaud,,,in their own profille......and who on earth would smite the Superpig after alll she has done....Evelyn i will send you a box of "L"'s to change your smites to smiles,,,,,,,,,,,jim

10. Jim, thank you so much. I am anxiously awaiting the box of L's. At the moment I am in need of 30, but if you could, throw a few extras in there please. I have a feeling I'm going to need them.

11. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Based upon the results so far of this poll, and the comments, I have made some changes to the Karma System.

With 17 out of 36 voters (almost half) voting to display the Karma total, instead of Positive and Negative values, we have made that change.

With 22 out of 36 voters (almost 2/3rds) voting to force new member to wait before being able to cast Karma votes, we have made that change. Now, new members cannot cast Karma votes until they have made at least 10 posts.

I have also changed the "Applaud" and "Smite" terms to [Add 1] and [Subtract 1], which more clearly represents what happens when a Karma vote is cast.

There may be more changes coming, and we still may do away with the Karma System altogether. The jury is still out.

12. fesekula

fesekula Active Member

Good job Ken. The changes should be fair to all.

13. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Get rid of it. The whole deal seems stupid to me. What good does it do, really? Personally, I don't care if I've been smited, or someone else has. This forum is about learning and helping others. I think that all the applaud/smite thing is doing is pissing some people off. What good can come from that? There will be comments made by others that will get under forum user's skin, sure enough. We don't need something like this to add to the sometimes tense feelings around here! Shannon.

14. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I think this will be a better format. If the smiter can't see a bunch of negatives, then maybe he'll at least slow down.

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Bummer, Man! Here I was with all that notoriety and now I'm back to single numbers. LMAO

16. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Hey George, you just moved into positive integers for the first time. Congratulations!

17. DaveT

DaveT "But with God all things are possible"

don't worry ken I am going to neutralize Georgie lol Love ya George but this one was too tempting :)

18. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

George if Dave neutralizes you, I'll counter it, but you'll have to wait til tomorrow. ;)

19. Wolf

Wolf AHOOoooooo!

I'm still negative 5... sniffle... Even George has me beat!
    :'("Nobody like me... Everybody hates me... Guess I'll go eat worms!"
    That's what I get for being the big, bad Wolf, HAHA! ;D

AAHHHhhoooooooo...................

20. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Just bought you up to 2 George. I have done my good deed for today!