1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

quebec flesher

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by snowman623, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Has anyone had vibration problems after setting up their quebec flesher? I have discussed it with the mfg. and we could'nt figure out the problem.I returned the flesher,not the motor, they found nothing wrong.I tried a new belt and the pulleys look good. But, no matter how I adjust it, it vibrates very bad. Could I have set it up wrong? Any suggestions?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It could be your blade. Take the blade off the machine and run it. If it runs smooth then your blade is out of balance. To get it back and it may or may not work, take some stock wood and press it against the blade and work up to the edge, press against the blade good, see it this works for you.

3. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

Frank: usually if the blade is out of ROUND , it is caused by a 2" blade ( shaft size , ) in a 1 15/16 I believe that is the size , and if not centered your blade will be sharpened out of round.

How to fix it , re-ground and re-sharpen. Snowman call me at (705)476-0483 I think I have an idea about this.

4. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Make sure your table is SOLID. Mine has adjustable feet on it to account for slight differences in floor height. Its probably not recommended but if you shim the motor againest the underside of the table it will take a little of the vibration out of the system as well. It wont let the big chunks "bounce out" if the get caught on the belt though.

5. Thanks for the tips on the quebec flesher. I had already ran it without the blade, it still vibrated. The table is screwed into the wall and is level and very heavy. I'm currently waiting to receive it back from the mfg. It didn't vibrate with them so I'm going to try again.Still open to suggestions.

6. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

My guess, if the screws are tight, that hold the knife itself, look to the bottom pully. Run a screw driver around the btm pully, while machine is off, and turning the knife by hand. Pieces of fleshing can be wrapped around the bottom pully, and you cant hardly feel them with your finger. The key, in the bottom pully, could not be in all the way. It will wear very fast, if not inserted right. Good luck!

7. Felpy

Felpy New Member

Have had similar problems with our Eager Beaver and have narrowed it down to unbalanced blades. Some blades cause a vibration and will leave striations on the leather. Switching out the blades seems to fix the problem. Check and make sure the machine is bolted securely to the table and the belt is tight.

8. While you are checking the bottom pulley for fleshings, look for a hairline crack on the pulley wall right where it makes the base of the v. If the metal has been cracked, a new pulley is in order.

9. Randy Mac

Randy Mac New Member

Also check for a bad bearing on the motor I had one go out a few week a go.