1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dakota pro fleshing machine help....

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by BIGLAWE, Nov 26, 2008.

1. BIGLAWE

BIGLAWE New Member

Hello Guys and Gals,

I'm very new to fleshing machines I have bought a Dakota pro and just seeking advise, my questions are am I going to cut lots of holes or can you set the blade guards to shave thin till you become seasoned with the tool. I have not received mine yet and I sure it comes with a video but I like the great advise I can pull from all the veterans on here, and also is there and videos on the internet to watch someone using a fleshing tool before I get mine in I have only thinned by hand or a mini flesher till this point but I feel they need to be thinner and I don't want to fool with a commercial tannary till i build up my business...

Thanks,
    Sgt. Chris Edmonds

2. Yep you can set the blade guards how ever deep you want to shave. I set mine tapered from about 4mm on the bottom to 1mm on the top, so I can use the lower half to shave thicker areas and the top to do the face and ear details.

3. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Good advice Codi. BIGLAWE, don't worry. The machine does come with a video that will show exactly how to use it. I would suggest setting it to shave shallow cuts until you get used to shaving. If you have access to scrap pieces of hide for practice, that would help you learn before doing an actual cape. I love mine,and if you follow the instructions and practice a little, I am sure you will love yours as well! Good Luck!

4. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

first and most important. BUY AND USE FLESHING GLOVES. that blade can do some real dammage real fast. I too set my blade different top to bottom, but mine is thin on bottom thicker at top. when you use your sharpening steels, go soft. if you run those steels with a lot of pressure on them you will do 2 things. 1 change the angle of the cut, and 2 dull or wear down the blade faster. again the most important is USE FLESHING GLOVES.

5. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

Biglawe.
    I just want to thank you for asking your question in a respectful, intelligent manner.
    Much appreciated by all the seasoned ole pros here!!
    Oh and there is an absolute wealth of infomation to be gleaned on this site, so enjoy!
    THANK YOU!!
    Oh and DEFINITELY get the fleshing gloves. They have saved me from numerous "accidents"

6. dugart

dugart Doug Smith / D-Sign,LLC. 616-392-3841

Just curious, what type of fleshing are you using? The kevlar fish skinning type?

7. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I haven't seen the fish skinning type, so I'm not sure what those look like. The ones I wear are yellow and have blue rubbery grips in the palms

8. even with expreance you can get to cocky like me nurseing some cuts of my own stupid? you bet will i do it again? probly willl . some times i wonder how i do that to my self! work safe mark c

9. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

I have to reiterate the importance of the fleshing gloves. A small price to pay to avoid some real damage. I found out the hard way when I took all the meat off of my index finger tip. Had to have them take skin from my wrist to build me a new fingertip. Hurt like hell and now looks a little funny. I have the gloves now, got them from WASCO. It is not worth taking the chance.

10. oh ! i didnt mention i have gloves also but the finger are all but gone grin and bear it mark c

11. antler

antler New Member

The depth the blade cuts(or amount of hide removed) has more to do with ther angle you turn the lip on the blade than the depth of the guards. It takes some experimenting and practice with the sharpening steels to get what works for you. Be prepared for a lot of sewing if you don't have any capes to practice on. I have a Pro also and I love it. Cut proof gloves are a must, especially if you do the face. Good luck.