1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

help with lying down deer

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by after the shot, Nov 28, 2008.

1. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

Let me start off by saying " I checked the archives" ;). I am working on a lifesize whitetail. I am mounting it on the LD-200 mannikin from McKenzie's (pg 352 in the new catalog). The carcass measurements were almost exact to the form. I stretched out the hide and everything fits like a glove except for the rear legs. When I stretched the leg skin, I did not stretch for length only girth. I cannot get the foolish leg skin to sew up and fit the leg. I have almost 10" of excess skin length in the rear legs. I'm fine up to the bend at the tarsal glands. But from there to the hips, I have way too much skin. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Scott

2. after the shot

I'm thinking of cutting some of the excess off.

3. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I would not cut skin away. Do you have plenty of glue under there to adjust and move the skin easy? You may need to make a relief cut and tuck. Sometimes if you just keep sewing and adjusting a leg like that will come together when at first it seems it will not. Can you send me or post a photo or two so we can understand or see the problem you face better? [email protected]

4. I done that same mount two years ago, and won several awards with it. As I remember it is quite tricky in that area. I believe allot of skin tucked up in grove when right rear leg & hip was attached in its socket. Do not cut away any skin, use allot of hide paste, line up your markings and taxi it in place with allot of patience. Good luck !

5. after the shot

I am using plenty of hide paste. I understand that alot of the skin wil tuck. I just made some more reliefe cuts and deepened the others that I made. this seems to be helping a bit. I'm sure that after I finally finish sewing it up I'll be able to taxi the skin over the next couple days. I thought for sure that this one would be afairly easy mount. Boy was I wrong. You guys are giving me the answers that I already knew. sometimes you just need a little reassurance. I'll keep ya posted.