1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lifesize Mammal of the Month #9 (12/08-1/09)

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Doylestudio, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Doylestudio

Doylestudio Active Member

Well, the end of another year is fast approaching and I hope all is well with everyone. I hope you all have a very
    profitable new year and finish out 2008 just where you'd hoped too. Thanks to all those who posted this past month.
    We had many great pieces as always and I for one look foward to seeing all the upcoming Mammals this New Month and Year!

Mike

2. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

Here's a fisher I just finished up, working on 2 more right now...

[​IMG]

3. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

Here is a lion we did a while back This Cat had about 2/3 of it's mane slip and I had a custom mane made and pieced in it a small piece at a time.

Cheers, Mike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

A Lynx .
    Mike, am I seeing things or does that puddy cat have no whiskers?
    Nice repair job on the mane!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

Hi Jim, Nope not seeing things He had almost no whiskers and it was one of those silly little things that the client did not want replaced. "Fix the mane but Not the whiskers" LOL

Mike

6. HulaHula

HulaHula Member

Minks

7. thatguyonline

thatguyonline winnie the pooh

WI
    Great lion!!!

8. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Dik Dik
    [​IMG]

9. Nice Job on the Lion, Lynx, and thats a cool Dik Dik!

10. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

that lion is amazing.

11. can't even tell that lion had 2/3 of it mane slip, Great Job !!!!!

12. some nice work here..

13. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Here's a Bobcat I am just finishing up. I've got to get a better photo setting, but this is the best I can do for now.

14. huntin_justin

huntin_justin Active Member

looks real good all of them do.

15. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Helluva cat, Mikey! Helluva cat!! Tell me buddy, is that big guy "free standing" ... you know no threaded rods to tie him down? If so, that is a cool idea. I really wanted to do that with my big lion, but with the angle of his rock and all, I thought keeping him in place might have become problematic. Anyway, great job man! Even if the owner didn't want him to have whiskers!

John.

16. Martin

Martin roes, my obsession, my fate

What a nice Dikdik mount !!!

17. hicntry

hicntry New Member

Hello again,

Very nice work everyone. Mike - Very nice Lion

John - Here is a closer shot of the Leopard, also two lions we did. It is something how at times clients will not want whiskers repaired!!! I love the pose with the Lion with no habitat and no rods, first time we did it and I love it. Mike, I am sure you can agree that this gives the cats a totally different feel with no habitat, I guess it lets you concentrate on the specimen 100%.

Keep up the great work everyone and I truly enjoy coming on this site!!!

Sincerely,

Edwin Alarcon
    Owner - High Country Taxidermy

18. hicntry

hicntry New Member

I forgot to mention, the Breakthrough manual on cats that I mentioned on the "life size mammal of the month #8" is a great learning tool, John Belluci did a great job with his material in this manual and wanted let anyone know that if you are looking for a great insight on cats, get this manual it is great. There are lots of new reference books out there now a days compared to when I started and more so compared to 20 years ago. With anything in taxidermy, I have learned that you have to look at taxidermy outside the box and force yourself to step out of the comfort zone that we all seem to fall into, force yourself to look at reference and watch videos of animals in the wild. Their movements, expressions, Etc. will elevate your work, you have to allow yourself to be open minded. And of course study anatomy this will place all pieces to puzzle in place. This website, taxidermy.net is by far a great resource. Again, just wanted to give credit once again to John Belluci and I also would like to give thanks to the Phil Soucy, his work composition and expression on cats is second to none and also has been someone whom has inspired me that nothing is impossible. Definetly many others as well and to them a big thank you!!!

Sincerely,

Edwin Alarcon
    Owner - High Country Taxidermy

19. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Since we're doing Lions, I'll throw one of mine in here to the wolves ;D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Hey Edwin, that Leopard's face is killer, man! Gotta love these free-standing African Lion mounts! The big blond maned cat makes one helluva lawn ornament!

John.