1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lifesize Mammal of the Month #9 (12/08-1/09)

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Doylestudio, Dec 1, 2008.

1. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

Great cats everyone!

2. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Jerry, Jerry, Jerry ...

What makes you think the Wolves are going to rip your Lion mount apart, man? I like him! I think I recognize the mannikin used. It was originally a Precision Mannikins form sculpted by my hero, Joe Kish, and now sold by McKenzie. Am I right? It's the crossed forelegs that gave it away ... unless you altered one of the straight-legged laying down Lion mannikins? Or is it one of the Animal Artistry mannikins now sold by Jonas? Anyway, what I like most, is the turn you gave the neck and the direction of the head. Very gracefully done!

The only thing I can suggest for the next time you turn an animal this tightly, is to place skin wrinkles not only behind the foreleg like you have here, but extend them higher up, to just behind the shoulder blade, and slightly up to the center of the back. The skin naturally bunches all the way down the one side in this extreme of a turn.

I really like the feet! It is great how those big ol' Lion feet look when they're relaxed! You not only got it right, but they have that "bouncy" soft look that Lion paws typically have when they're not weighed down by those heavy bodies.

And the face! Holy crap! What a great face! Many Lions have relatively "sweet" faces when left to their own world and not harassed. Not only that, but the darn thing looks like our new cat's face ... in the tilt of the head and the expression in the eyes! Very expressive eyes, by the way! The nose is pretty much "right-on". It has nice nostril shape, it appears symmetrical, and the Philtrum -- center nose cleft -- is well represented without over doing it, and there is enough bare skin showing in that area below the nose that tells me you were paying attention to the details. That sometimes gets lost during the mounting of a whole, large animal!

So let the "Wolves" howl away ... I like this great kitty!

John.

3. hicntry. your lion looks exactly like that lion in Narnia, exactly...

4. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

?!?!? narnia??? tell me you're kidding right.....brushwolf i thought you were somewhat cooler than this...

5. ha... saw the first one, haven't ever seen the second

6. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

sure you haven't...lol.

7. nope just seen the previews

8. Red stag

Red stag Active Member

Norway
    EDWIN!!! JERRY!!!! Very- very nice cats. ::) Love that relaxing pose of all. Thanks for sharing. Ollie

9. Ooo those big cats are Awesome!

ps Brushwolf - I watched Narnia #2 last night, cause I cool like that 8)

10. whats wrong with narnia?

11. LordRusty

Ohio
    For Jerry, and anyone else who may be interested, here are some shots of African Lions, showing their wealth of skin wrinkles.
    [​IMG]

The same fellow is looking back over his shoulder. Sweet face on this big guy ... no?
    [​IMG]

Here's a Lioness looking over at her caregiver.
    [​IMG]

And finally, here's our lazing hero. Even when standing, if a Lion starts turning his head, the front end will follow a bit, and when it does ... wrinkles!
    [​IMG]

Hope these help anyone who wants help.

Take care,
    John.

12. the 2nd picture, expression on the eyelids is priceless

13. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Thanks Lord Rusty,
    It is a Joe Kish form with the legs crossed, I changed it up a little. Very nice reference pics thanks for posting them.

14. LordRusty

Ohio
    I call the face in the second shot, "The Look of Love". The reason is actually because the lioness he was "housed" with, was driving him crazy, getting his attentions, then running away ... just always out of reach. By the time I took these photos, he was exhausted! The absolute last photos I took of him, he was laid out, flat on his side snoring away! In fact, one of those very shots is the last photo in the African Lion reference set I made.

Glad you like the photos.

John.

15. LordRusty

Ohio
    Hey Jerry ... you're very welcome.

There's a reason I know that Joe Kish mannikin so well. It's a long story, but here goes!
    Since its release, that mannikin has been my number one choice for a Lioness hide I've had since the mid seventies! Back then, there was a moratorium -- a ban if you will -- on killing Lioness. If I remember correctly, it was pretty much Continent-wide.

Well, this particular old gal had been killing goats in, I believe Tanzania, until the night one of the village boys stayed out with his family's flock, and was killed by this cat! Needless to say, that was the end of her! There was a PH and his client in the area, and they were called upon to dispatch the cat, which they did. Upon inspection of her skull, it was determined she was an ancient one, for a wild Lion anyway ... nearly 20 or more years old. Her teeth were so worn down, there's no way she could have eaten tough game meat like Wildebeest or Zebra. So nice, tender, easy to kill goats came onto her menu ... and then she killed the little boy.

Anyway, her hide was shipped back to the states with the client's regular safari trophies.

After she was tanned -- by Sinclair Clark, by the way -- the client found out he was being charged for the tanning, along with all his other stuff, blew a gasket, and refused to take the cat. So, she stayed in the taxidermist/tannery business she was tanned in for a couple of years, until the guy who owned it was about to sell out, and leave it behind.

One day, I asked him if he still had the Lioness skin for sale, and he told me I could have it for ... ready for this ... "A buck and a half!" At the time I didn't realize he meant $150.00! I bought it anyway, because I always wanted an African Lion skin ... male or female, it didn't matter!

For years she just laid in an old leather piece of luggage, until about twenty years ago, when I soaked her up and tried to mount her over the small Toby Hart African Lion mannikin. While the measurements were a dead-on match, the proportions were no where near those of a female Lion. So, I wrapped up the skin, and she's in one of my freezers, waiting for the day I order up one of those Joe Kish Lioness mannikins. With all the little Lion cubs I have in the feezer, I think they'll mount up into a nice little family for my big guy!

See? Told you it was a long story!

John.

16. mark1970

mark1970 If it looks good and its got a big rack,mount it!

Since everyone is showing off their lions I figured I would switch gears and throw in this housecat I did for a lady. Painted eyes myself and wrapped body.
    [​IMG]

17. Silverwolf5792

Silverwolf5792 Sierra, my quarter horse :)

Nice lions! I wonder what people thought as they drove by the yard with that huge cat standing on the front lawn, Lol!
    That housecat looks huge! like a mini lion

18. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

those reference lions look like fat, overweight lions in captivity..

19. LordRusty

Ohio
    If you bothered to read the post instead of just look at the pictures so you could spout off some imagined "wisdom", you would have read -- there's that word again -- that the animals were in captivity. Part of the caption for the male in the second photo reads " ... the lioness he was "housed" with, was driving him crazy ... ". Lions don't "house" anywhere in the wild. As a matter of fact, the male in the photos - taken at the Cincinnati Zoo -- was not, I repeat not a fat, overweight cat. He was a big, robust male. And if you knew one wit about African Lions, as well as Tigers, and even large Leopards they have an abundance of skin, that forms wrinkles when the skin is involved in a turn, where it bunches up on itself.

Here are some more references to back up my knowledge.

Wild Lion ... wrinkles behind the rearward positioned foreleg, running all up and down the body.
    [​IMG]

Asian Lions in Shri Lanka.
    [​IMG]

Male with cub in the wild. In captivity, cubs are removed from the adults and hand raised in the zoo's nursery.
    [​IMG]

This pair was photographed in the Kalahari Desert. No ... no fat lions here, but skin wrinkles ... yes!
    [​IMG]

Again, a Lioness in the wild. Not fat, but loaded with skin wrinkles. If you want to learn why Lions have an abundance of skin that produces these wrinkles ... buy and read my book.
    [​IMG]

An African Lioness hold-up in a thicket in Africa. Lots-O-Wrinkles!
    [​IMG]

This is a fat Lion! When Lions get this fat, and overweight, they do not produce the nice, individual skin wrinkles. Instead, the produce fat-body "rolls".
    [​IMG]

African Lions, both males and females, have an abundance of skin, and the wrinkles that come from such skin. I am not saying they have "baggy" or "saggy" skin, but they do have an abundance of stretchy, wrinkle-producing skin.

John.

20. great photos john what kind of camera do you use