1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Another Krowtann question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Aaron, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Aaron

Aaron New Member

I am just starting to use Krowtann. I always salted my other hides before the first round of fleshing so naturally I salted my two capes this morning. Later I read the instructions and it says if the hides have been salted rehydrate them. How would you rehydrate them? Just water? Does anyone who uses Krowtann salt their hides during the first fleshing. Aren't you putting your hide at risk for slippage if you do not salt?? Also the directions say rough flesh? What is rough flesh? Thanks for the help.

2. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

For a product that is supposed to be so easy to use, there sure are an awful lot of questions, & from my tanning experience I know a lot of the answers by instant tanning experts are going to cause a lot of grief.

3. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

you rehydrate skins with one of the chemicals made for it - relaxr works great -

i never salt skins when using krowtann or safety acid

4. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I do not salt before using Krowtann. I don't rough flesh either, I flesh everything completely the first time. If it's iffy and I'm worried about it slipping before I can get it fleshed, then I call in the Stop Rot, but it's still completely fleshed no matter whether I use Krowtann or salt it for the tannery.

5. paul e

paul e New Member

i stop rot um up front
    turn ears,eyes,nose,mouth
    then i flesh um on my van dykes pro
    after tanned i shave um up thin and finish prep on mouth and all

guys keep it simple
    its a simple tann "just follow directions before using"
    same for stop-rot