1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

would this work

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by HOCKEYMAN, Dec 7, 2008.

1. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

If your ultimate goal is to remove the greases more quickly, I would recommend two things:

1. Warm the solution. Not too hot as the detergent can be destroyed by too much heat..

2. Agitate the solution. Some type of stirring device or solution circulation device.

I wondering if anyone has ever tried an 'Ultra-sonic" cleaner with detergent degreasing solutions. One possible drawback would be that the teeth might be cracked...but aren't most removed? (NOTE: don't use volatile solvents in an ultrasonic cleaner)...

Follow Wolf's suggestion as to how much detergent. Remember, more is not always better when using a detergent. It needs the water to work..

2. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

To provide a bit of assiatnce to Cyclones post on aggitation this is what I use. I have an aquarium air pump a water check valve to protect my pump and a T in the air line I put two three foot air lines off the T and a bubble stone on the end of each. When putting the skull in the degreasing solution I place one bubble stone in the base of the skull up into the brain cavity and the other goes up the back side of the nose into the sinus canal really keeps the solution flowing nicely through out the skull.

HTH

Jeff

coroner2 likes this.

3. This is interesting. You might try a dishwashing detergent. They have added 'stuff' to make detergent work even better. Maybe too harsh kind of stuff?
    How about the new environmentally friendly version from Seventh Generation ?

Like Cyclone says, a detergent with a sufficant will help. Sufficants make water wetter :) .
    Hmmm, maybe the best is a soap and than add a sufficant like Electrasol's Jet-Dry to that mixture.

Best, Dick

4. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

i recently joined Amway and am also going to try some of their detergents and soaps to see how they work. I always liked the way worked on my clothes and for general cleaning, so we'll see what happens with skulls.

Dick, I love your avatar :D

5. cyclone

Surfactant? detergents are considered surfactants....

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingswork/f/detergentfaq.htm

Seventh Generation:
    http://www.seventhgeneration.com/ingredients#ingredients-for-nid-159
    Notice the ingredient "sodium laureth sulfate" in the dish liquids...it is a detergent...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_laureth_sulfate

You'd be paying extra for the word "Green"....plus their extra cutsy additives...

6. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

Wow we are right back to using DAWN weird how that all went around in a circle

;D

Jeff

7. Cyclone...
    Too funny. You got me on that one ! That'll teach me not to reread before I post !

And yes, seems anytime we buy something that is a "natural" product we are paying extra for the 'GREEN' part.
    You would think that natural is less .... therefore less cost.

~Dick~

8. Hunterskyline

Hunterskyline New Member

Finally tested an ultrasonics cleaner, found one at severeclean, 11 gallon unit for 3.5k, after they walked me through the process I was able to degrease and really clean a small bear skull, even in the smallest crevise or pocket it removed the contaminent. I was impressed. took 3-4 minutes. No damage to Bear skull. I will try a smaller more fragile Skull and report back. This could be a HUGE time saver if it does work....drop me a mail and I will send you a video of me cleaning the skull.

9. Sunnysideup

Sunnysideup New Member

Read alot about ultrasonics and am curious as to if it would work. I will look them up..I have seen this on several other posts. would be neatz to see if this pans out.

10. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

I say put up or shut up. You guys are too obvious digging up these old posts. Post a link to your video or current pictures of your bear.

11. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

You guys would rather climb a tree and tell a lie than stand face to face and tell the truth. Mike at severeclean has already spouted B.S. and has never cleaned a bear nor has his engineer or sold a cleaner for bone or skull cleaning. You guys are bullchit!

12. "even in the smallest crevice or pocket it removed the contamient"

That sounds funny?????? I've never heard any of us talk like that???

Maybe he bought one and didn't discuss the use with the company?
    Maybe ?
    I'd love to see the video of it cleaning a bear skull. If anyone comes across one please post.

13. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

I have heard that quote.....from the engineer a few times.

14. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Hunterskyline and Sunnysideup seem to be the same poster. Why would anyone post on an old thread from 2008 to advertise something??

And I agree about the BS. 3 to 4 minutes!? They obviously never did a damn thing.

15. grf68

grf68 Member

MA
    I have a small ultrasonic cleaner I think its 1 gallon. its not the latest and greatest,but its not junk either,it was just laying around at work so I thought I'd give it a try on a rabbit skull I have. It has heat and a timer so I dropped in the rabbit skull for 2 hours with some hot water and dawn. It didn't do anything at all as far as cleaning the skull. I plan on doing some more playing around with it but cleaning a bear skull in 3-4 minutes?...I seriously doubt that.

16. SEVERECLEAN

SEVERECLEAN New Member

First time poster and visitor on the your site. I wanted to set the story straight with people coming up with false statements about our company SevereClean. I completed our very first test this morning on any skulls with a whitetail deer skull that has been outside for 8 years. I know the age of this little buck because I put him on my shed 8 years ago. This test was to see if there would be damage to a fragile weathered skull that has been outside the entire time (note all of the moss on the horns). After the half an hour sonic time at 113 to 120f with a mild soap the photos speak for themselves. This was not to show grease removal nor was it to show how it will clean an 8yr old skull, it was just to show if there would be any damage to the skull after the cleaning. If you would like to see how well it would work with grease or other items on your skulls please give SevereClean Ultrasonics a call. I have many more pictures and also a full-length video that I can send if you are truly interested in our product. We are not the skull/bone experts, so having the perfect test subject will have to be up to the customer.

Thank you for your time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

Rich, Welcome to the Forum. I got your pictures. Thanks
    I realize you conducted this test to see if any bone damage occurred but I really expected to see a cleaner skull than this. I think most any of the bone cleaners here would agree that cleaning the surface is easy and can be accomplished in a few days (or less). While your deer picture shows the deer still partially wet it just does not appear to be that clean or grease free as I expected for 30 minutes in 120 degrees. It definitely needs more testing. This test will not sell your product IMO.

If that is 30 minutes in 120 degrees I would love to see the "bear in 3-4 minutes" that the new guy here posted.....

"We tested a small black bear skull (post beetles) in an ultrasonic tank , after they helped us get going it was easy, took 4 minutes (give or take) and the skull was clean, even the smallest holes were greasless....I posted on another forum page to get the word out that this DOES work. The company i delt with was VERY good at answering questions and yes i did sink about 3k into a 11 gallon tank but would not trade it in for anything,,,,,just the amount of time I saved is awesome. Look them up on Utube...search severeclean. they are freindly and very helpful, the ultrasonics does work."

18. Kollin

Kollin New Member

Do you think SLS dissolved in water by itself could be used to degrease skulls?? I just ordered some today after having the idea from reading ingredients on several dish soaps.

19. cyclone

There is only one way to find out and I think you are going to find out..

20. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Biggest factor would be the cost and how much in water do you need for it to effectively work. Dawn is pretty damned cheap but I would be interested in what you find for results.