1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hydrofloric acid

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by cold trapper, Dec 27, 2006.

1. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

;)
    Hi: Does any one know anything about Hydrofloric acid? Its use in tanning? [if any].
    I heard it can disolve metal. And concrete too. I heard dangerous wise, it makes sulphuric acid seem like lemon aid. and can eat your skin off your bones before you even feel it.
    Im just curious if anyone out there has any knowledge of this. I know curiosity killed the cat!
    Meee OOWW!
    8)

2. Larry B

Larry B New Member

It is ranked #8 as one of the most dangerous substances on the earth. Not used in any tanning that I know of. Stick to citric formulas with a little sulfuric and avoid the poisons. Even formic iacid s not good for you.

3. exciter

exciter New Member

Ohio
    I don't know of any uses for Hf in taxidermy. However yes you are correct on the dangers of it , If you get it on you it goes down in your body and eats the calcium out of your bones. If you get it on you they have a special creme called calcium gluconate gel to slow down the process while you get to the hospital ASAP. I operate a semi tank repair shop and i have a customer that hauls Hf in a stainless steel Teflon lined tanker. I have actually seen Hf eat a hole in 3/16" thick stainless steel in about 7 hours. My guys hate to see that tanker come in for repairs because of the hazards with it. Hf is something that no one wants to mess with at all. And yes a very little bit would kill the cat!!!!
    MEOUCH!!!!!

4. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic804.htm

http://www.bu.edu/es/labsafety/ESMSDSs/MSHydFluoricAcid.html

You could use a H-bomb to kill deer also....but why in the hell would you want to.

5. Larry B

Larry B New Member

It actually kills you from a calcium deficency. As it attacks and eats the calcium in your bones, your body tries to replace it from your bloodstream. This causes muscle cramps. Your heart starts to cramp up ( heart attack) and you can be done for. One of the ways they stop it is to amputate the arm or leg that got HF on it. They aslo can neautralize it with a calcium injection into an artery. None of these sound any fun.

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

WOW! I used to use a mild form of it to clean the exterior of stainless steel milk tanks. I guess that where the activity against calcium is a plus, since it dissolved water/milk spots on the exterior. I guess I was careful with it since I'm still around.

7. cold trapper

:)
    Thanks Larry B., Exciter, Cyclone and JoeyM
    your experience and knowledge is appreciated. And double thanks for posting them on here for us all to share!
    Happy New Year to ya~!
    :D :)

8. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Are you sure you are asking about HydroChloric Acid - not Hydroflouric? If so - the Hydrochloric acid is used in pickling Alligator and Crocadile skins. It breaks down the calcium in the hornbacks of the skins. And I've seen it used in several reptile Tannerys. However, Hydroflouric Acid I've never seen used in the leather tanning industry.

9. cold trapper

yes Bruce: hydrofloric is what i meant. I have been told to use it with my hobbie of collecting fossils. to remove limestone rock from the quartz like substances. But from what the Gentle men posted here. i Think i'll not try anything with this substance. I just wanted to know a little more about it. This great forum, i bet you get any info you wanted on here. Like how to make peace in the world. ANy ideas? Or are we all doomed!
    Have great new year!
    :)

10. jcompton

jcompton “One of these days Alice. Pow!Right in the kisser"

Not sure how you would get your hands on Hydroflouric Acid, but if that is what you have you better stay away from it,its some very bad stuff whether its .49% or 49%, 5% of it on your body is enough to kill you if not treated properly,it goes straight to your bone marrow and destroys it, calcium gluconate is what is used to draw it out of your skin after exposure.

11. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Cold Trapper - the reason why I asked that question was because Hydrochloric Acid IS used to remove calcium deposits and stains from bricks and masonry. A mild form of it is simply Muriatic Acid. However, I do not have any experience with the Hydroflouric Acid.

12. PA

PA Guest

Bruce is correct. I know the invertebrate paleontologists here have used hydrochloric acid for help in preparing fossils. The only use I am aware of for Hydrofloric acid is in etching glass - my wife used in in a few instances.

13. cold trapper

PA- yes i have heard it will eat glass. ::) :eek:

Bruce - i was thinking of trying Muratic acid but have never gotten around to it. :-\ Does it have a particular advantage with a certain hide? :) What are its "Muratic acid" best uses in tanning. :-X

And Bruce :) we both need a spell correction! It's spelled Hydrofluoric. I ommited the "u", you had it dislexic. :D :D :D :D