1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How can I make a beach habitat???

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by Moosabec Taxidermy, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Moosabec Taxidermy

Moosabec Taxidermy New Member

Does anybody know how to make a beach habitat? I know you need actual beach sand that is sifted fine and I know you need to mix it with water and white carpenters glue, but what is the ratio of the mixtures??? How much glue? How much water? ???

2. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

50/50 works

3. Moosabec Taxidermy

Thank you Bill !!!

4. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

I have used dry sand mixed with fiberglass resin when the 'sand' was a stand alone base. (no wooden base).
    Very strong.

5. Moosabec Taxidermy

Did you form it with your hands, or did you make up some kind of a mold for it to set up in??? Sounds interesting, either way... Thanks Samantha

6. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

From memory I just made it quite thick, (the sand/resin mix), dropped spoonfuls on plastic/cling wrap and let it ooze & spread like thick cake frosting then played around with the shape with my gloved hands. I wanted a wet look so I didnt put any dry sand on the top.
    I placed shells & driftwood into it before it set up.
    I have a picture of 1 somewhere...will find it.
    Edit/found a pic of a small base made this way, no gloss paint finish;
    [​IMG]

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

For shaping (if your gonna use resin) you can build a dam with clay, mix the sand and resin and poor in it.

8. Moosabec Taxidermy

Very nice Samantha!!! My base is for a rare blue lobster...

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Guys, there's an easier and cheaper way. I do it two ways. One is I cut out a base in the shape I want and set it up on blocks over a plastic bag. I mix 2 part foam and pour it on the base, speading it out as quickly as I can. When it starts to foam in earnest, I sift sand down on it and continue until it stops rising. I used gloved hands to rough form it as the sand acts as a barrier to keep the foam from sticking to your hands.

The next method was suggested by Mary Hilliard (I THINK). You take a box of sand and form a "negative" in the surface. That allows you to build structure into the piece. Build your base separately. If you need heavy wooden blocks imbedded for support, nail them to the base . Turn it over on your sandbox to insure that there will be clearance for these blocks inside your "negative". Mix foam and pour it directly into your negative. Quickly place your base (with the blocks down) over the sandbox and weight it down with something heavy. As the foam rises, it will affix the sand on one side and form to your base while imbedding the blocks. When the foam is cured, simply pull out the base and cut off the flashing as necessary. If you want it to look wet, then paint over the sand with your clear resin. The entire habitat can be completed in less than 30 minutes if you don't want it wet. You can mount your piece to it within the hour.

For "marsh mud", use the same method as I do (in the first example). When you mix your foam, pour 1/2 fluid ounce of Polytranspar BLACK paint into the foam. Mix vigorously with a drill. Pour it over your base. This mixture DOES NOT CURE QUICKLY. It will need to set overnight to cure completely but you have some of the nastiest, muck looking mud you've ever seen. If you want, because it cures so slowly, you can create footprints in it up to an hour after mixing. I usually pour a test piece to be sure it's not too stickly for the footprints.

Jkostella likes this.
  10. Moosabec Taxidermy

Wow, it all sounds complicated, but interesting... And I thank you all for your input, but allow me to back up the truck here a little bit and tell you what effect I'm looking for... Although I appreciate all the methods that were stated above and at some point I may do all of what you shared on other future mounts because I really liked the realistic effects you were able to make. It caused me to imagine what all else I could do. However, in this case, I'm looking for something a little more simple because a little more simple approached was already started on my protector dome base that already houses a lobster that I'm painfully trying to bring back to a believable and more acceptable condition. FYI, I already have a pending law suit awaiting me if I cannot bring back the original colors and fix up some of the mistakes that were made and I am challenged more than you can know, although, the new colors I added are making a difference and it's starting to look real again and the color mixes and washes are actually bringing it back to what it once was. I wont go into all of the details because the original thread was zapped, I think, so I wont go there. There is already a sand base started and I really need to follow suit and build up the beach sand base to make my lobster look like he is lying down flat. The man who originally started this sand base only used water and white elmers glue to create this effect, but he didn't complete the job and left me to finish it up. I was merely trying to find out how I could use the same mixture and the same colored sand and just build it up to the underside of this lobster, which would cause this sea bug to look more believable and of course to hide away some of the original sins that were committed on this once rare baby blue lobster (1 in 3 million) that once had much historic value and interest in my little coastal lobstering/fishing community... [email protected] said to just do a 50/50 mix of elmers glue and water and mix it all up and from there I assume you just trowel it on smooth and hope for the best, I guess... And that brings me back to expand my original question, 50% water, 50% white elmers glue, but how much beach sand do I use because 50%+50%=100%... I donno, maybe I'm having a brain cramp here and setting myself up again to get blasted, or zapped, lol... How can I make this simple mix all equal up to a good bonding, hard, workable mix that all equals to 100%???

11. bill@hogheaven

Boy are you overthinking this.... the glue & water make only part of the recipe just as in making a cake batter. Add the liquid to the sand until you are happy with its consistency. You might want it sloppier than some would & thicker than others. Just combine the ingredients til it meets your needs.

12. George

Moosabec, do you have any idea how your credibility has been tanked over this exaggerated freakin "baby blue lobster". I'm sure none of those fisherman are smart enough to understand this, so I guess I'll just try to type slower. I COULD MAKE 3 MILLION BLUE LOBSTERS IF THEY WERE NEEDED!. When a taxidermist finishes with a BLUE lobster, it looks just like a RED LOBSTER - BROWN. IT'S THE PAINT NOT THE LOBSTER. I'd suggest you get very good at doing your own work as well. Not many people on here are likely to be interested in taking anything you might contract our after this little clusterflock.

13. bill@hogheaven

Thats a given.

14. Moosabec Taxidermy

Thanks bill thats all I needed to know and now I got it, and now I understand, thanks. Enough said on that. Have a nice day, c-ya, bye.... Now about the cluster flock lobster, and thats what I got looking at me, a freaken mono tone metal flake piece of crap full of globed up glue with a crooked tail to boot, and you're calling us dumb for calling crap crap, so you're warning me and writing it slow so we stupid lobstermen can understand what you're saying? WTF, I may be a perfectionist in training and thats what I do, learn by my mistakes, but I'm none the less good at what I do, and I can spot a fake looking mount when I see it. I have 30 years of taxidermy experience under my belt, and I know quality when I see it, and this was a far far piss poor cry from that. From far and shown in the dome, it looked ok, but closer examination revealed too many flaws to be ignored. We may live in a pretty post card isolated location, but we are far from being stupid, my friend, especially when it comes to lobster. This thing brought back from a said professional from Connecticut insulted us, BIG TIME!!! My customer paid me good money for a museum quality mount of historic value, but at the time it came to me, I had no idea as to how to do one, especially given to the amount of historic value it had before it was botched and robbed from it's original beauty! At the moment, I now have the skill and the experience to do any crustacean of museum quality, with ease... The thing is the lobster was not exaggerated at all. It was what it was and another one like it may not be harvested in our life time. I'm fixing it and I'm getting happier at the results, and my pending law suit may be put to rest, and I thank God for that. My freezers are full and I have a ton of work to do, but I put them all on hold till I get this lobster fixed. While waiting for it to get done, by the man who did it, I learned 5 ways to do one and I've successfully completed a few of them on my own and my customers are happy with them, and everybody keeps telling me how real they look. I just expected something of better quality from a professional is all, and I know, YOU WOULD TOO, so C-mon now, give me break... I hope he has a good Christmas with the good hard earned money I gave him. The little Christmas spirit I had, it's gone till I get this botched up job corrected and looking half way believable again, and with that I may get my credibility (on the home front) back... And as far as me ever farming work out again, well I highly doubt I ever will again, unless I can see up close what they can do and then, I might, but I'm Leary. I got burned a few times... I've seen what some of the taxidermist in here can do, and I'm very impressed, and if by chance, I ever dare to farm out stuff out again, the person doing it will find me a joy to work with, providing they can do what they say they can do, and if they can't I hope that they are professional enough to tell me that they can't and I will understand. I'm not an idiot and I do have the ability to reason and I am a very understanding person, providing I am treated right, but you'll get back what you gave me and most in here know by know that my mount isn't hidden in my pocket. You don't know me George, but the people who do actually like me and if the truth be known, I'm easy to get along with, unless I know you're screwing me, and then I just may get alittle mouthy like I do with you and a few others in here from time to time... And the funny thing is George, I like you. I don't always agree with what you say, but I do respect the amount of years you have devoted to the art of taxidermy. I find you witty at times and at times I find you funny, but at times I think you're a little retarded for your failure to be able to see the over-all picture, and thats my take and I don't give a rat what you think about me... THE END, Amen

15. George

Guess I just typed too fast again. Moosabec, THE FREAKIN LOBSTER AIN'T "RARE". The COLOR might be but the lobster is still a simple crustacean that would turn red if you put him a pot of boiling water. Go out and get another one of the same size, mount it, and paint the damned thing "baby blue". GEEZ!

16. Moosabec - if it needed to be painted as a final product, then why not strip the paint job done on it and repaint? isn't that what you would have done if you had messed up the paint job? strip it off and redo it? pull the mount apart and starighten the portion you say is off line and redo it.

please post clear pics of this screwed up thing so you can possibly get more ideas of fixing it...

17. Moosabec Taxidermy

I understand what your all saying, and I agree, but my customer has already seen it and it would take too much time to start all over with another lobster. That thought has crossed my mind many times about just trashing this thing and just go get another freaking lobster and paint it the colors I need, but these damn things take time. More time than what they are worth really, lol. Now that [email protected] got my thick head to understand how to make simple beach sand, I should be able to get this thing done and outa here so I can go back to finishing my other taxidermy jobs and maybe I can behave myself in here and after a little while, I hope, you all can see that I'm just another fussy taxidermist, like many of you are, and we can let bygones be bygones and forget about my pissing and moaning about this damn freaking lobster, lol.. That would be the best possible thing that could ever happen. I know what many of you are thinking about me. Hell, I would to if the shoes were on the other foot. Just think, this could of happened to you... Has anyone of you been threatened with a law suit because of what another taxidermist did??? It's not a good place to be no matter what you may think of me... Anyway, it's coming along fine and it will soon be outa here... Thank you all for your inputs and may God grant you all a special blessing for putting up with me... Sorry for all the drama guys...

18. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Are lobsters beachcombers? I thought they came from deep water.

19. Moosabec Taxidermy

Yup, especially by this time of the year. They have to go way out into deep commercial waters, and that is when it can get real dangerous out there because of the uncertainties of the weather and wind which can toss you up and down like a buoy, or turn you upside down in a matter of minutes... In the mid summer months they come closer to shore and then are the times when it's fun for the taking...

20. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

I know of 2 blue lobsters caught off RI within the last 5 years. I know both of the guys that caught them. Are they rare in color yes, but doubtful that it's 1-3,00,000. I also find it strange that a taxidermist with 30 years of experience can't build a habitat made of sand ::) Quit crying and paint the damn lobster and be done with it.