1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bacteria Growth

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Dan, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Dan

Dan One Year Old Already!

What temperature effectively stops the growth of bacteria? The reason I ask is because I had a guy stop by with a deer cape he had in the processors cooler for about two weeks. He said the cooler was 38 degrees. Of course, he left it in there even after asking me what to do with it, and me telling him to get it wrapped up well and FROZEN.

Is 38 cold enough to prohibit bacteria growth and activity? It didn't smell from the outside, but I didn't open it up and check the flesh side.

Thanks.

2. Dan,
    That temp will slow bacteria, but not stop it. You need to remove the liqiuds to inhibit the growth of bacteria. I would salt it ASAP and get it dried out or into a pickle of at least 2.0 pH.

3. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Been there, done that, bet it's all dried out too. I'd get some Stop Rot on it anyway. I've had them come in after being at the processors for quite a while, Stop Rot, flesh, salt, and send it to the tannery.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Meat in lockers is broken down and aged at 38 tp 40 degrees. A slow rot if you will. Processors that give a rip will skin the cape off right away and freeze it for pick up.