1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"orangepeel" look

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by murph, Dec 28, 2006.

1. murph

murph Member

Hello Guys,

This ones a quickie..... While shaving my skins tonight I noticed this and wondered if there is something I'm doing wrong or if it's normal. I noticed a few spots on the capes that after thinning it down that there appears to be a few areas like a wrinkled or orangepeel look to the skin. Don't think I ever saw it or noticed it before.I'm using safetyacid and have for the past 6 yrs. just wondering ........

Thanks guys,
    Lance

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I think I know what you are seeing, as I think I saw it myself today. I suspect the blade of my machine as I was hogging off some long and wide strips quit fast, and did notice this orange peel texture on the skin in spots when I applied the Liqua tan. Just my guess, but I am probably wrong, again.

3. That orange peel look is in an area that did not get enough penetration from the pickle. After shaving the area, return to the pickle for more plumping. You may find the area is thickened enough to take another layer off after another 24 hours in the pickle. At any rate, the area you are talking about needs more pickling; i.e., still raw. I see it too, usually down lower in the shoulder areas on capes and near the rump on rugs.