1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Why Pickle hides anymore when there is JRTS

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Bruledrift, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

??? Why would anyone need to pickle a hide anymore for mounting when there is stuff like JRTS where it will tan the hide, without having to pickle the hide?

2. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    Why use JRTS when there is dry preserve??? :eek:

3. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

So, can someone tell me if Krowtann is really a tan ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

4. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Great answer MK, alot of thought in that one? LOL

5. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

Were just funnin with ya. George believes highly in jrts, and swears by it. I, personaly have a way to small shop, with not a lot of room for salting, so i'll send them
    out, or use krowtann on some stuff. I would like to try it one of these days though.

6. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

I just got thinking of it when I was figuring out where to set up a pickling/tanning area in my basement. I have the same problem with space. But I could salt, drain and use JRTS if that is a true tan?

I would hate to not use a real tanning procedure and let anyone on hear know about it. LOL

7. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    JRTS should be fine if you want pm me and ill give you this one members ID on here to PM him about it. not sure if he still uses it or not but he's had good success with it in the past. btw scott's right i was just funnin ya. lol. been under some stress today. ok im out see yall later

8. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Thanks, but I guess I am not looking for if JRTS is a good product or not. From what I read it is a good product that produces a good tan. I am wanting to know why is there the need to pickle a hide now days when there are products like this. It seems like wasted time to me, a unneeded step. I know George on here says he doesn't pickle unless the hide is iffy, I am assuming that it is starting to slip or its been too warm or something like that.

9. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    im not that intellectual in the tanning department, but here's my take on it. the pickling helps prep the hide for tanning to accept the tanning chemical turning the hide into leather also with the pickle it plumps the hide so you can shave it down thinner easier. i dont know much other than that , i do know that the one breakthrough manual on deer or mammals goes over this process and why.

i also think that although JRTS works and so does krowtann and everything else will it stand the test of time? by that i mean how will the hide act in a humid environment vs. a dry one? someone on here can fill it in more.

10. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

The plumping of the hide seems to be the only thing that it benefits from what I gather. Being that the brush on tanning agents are relativly new, that would be the only concern. As far as accepting the tan, it sound like salting it takes the moisture out of the cells enough to accept the brush on tan. Like I said, I wouldn't want to take shortcuts in the process, but why do it if you don't need to.

11. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Hudson, that's what I don't want. I get alot of great complements on my work, and I don't want to ruin that. JRTS is John Rienhart Tanning System brush on tan. George on here swears by it. He says it is a true tan where as the KT system is a glorified pickle from what I gather.

12. paul e

paul e New Member

i think this is a sh!t stirring (someone is bored)
    good luck
    but you may get what your asking for

13. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

(i think this is a crap stirring (someone is bored))

LOL No, not bored, just kind of idle right now until this Ho Ho Ho crap gets done. Plus,I am just looking for answers to questions I have, and you guys are the best place to get them. I'm sure I can call the manufacturers of the products and get all the selling answers I can get. But a sales pitch is not what I'm looking for.

14. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

i tan mine with denatured alcohol...everything from field mice to elephants.
    really set the hair on the elephants and helps smooth out the wrinkles too.

15. paul e

paul e New Member

i hear ya
    Uncle George is the resident expert on this
    and if you look in the archives you'll get in length a lot of
    helpfull tips on using JRTS ith or without a pickle
    i have done it plenty of times with just salting overnight if its a fresh hide
    but let me add this if im in doubt AT ALL I PICKLE
    i find myself mostly picklin lately,sometimes its just easier on my mind
    and the formula has changed a little i think in the last year
    the trick is being able to recognise what is fresh
    this takes experience
    good luck

16. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

I don't think my wife would appreciate the smell that goes with denatured alchohol in the house though.

17. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Thanks Paul, it seems to me that would be the deciding factor. Most times up here in WI during the gun season, they are frozen when I get them so they are fresh. The Bow season though, that is when I tell the people to freeze it or get it too me right away. Good info, thanks.

18. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Brule, you dont see the smile on Bobbies face when she said that? Shes evil, too, lol. Thats the joke, theres so many bs lines out there about tans.

My big issue with no pickle is simple...pickles help not only falsify the thickness (plump) the skin for proper shaving (thinning) but along with neutralizing, set the skins pH all the way through for an even bonding of the tanning to the skin.

Im not sure which tan IS a tan, etc, but Im looking for a product and procedure that stabilizes and leatherizes the skin for my specific needs.

19. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

Pickling, positive charges the available sites of protine and collagen. If you don't achieve this , you are not tanning, Period. Then after the tanning agent has penetrated the full thickness of the skin you neutralize to the best pH for that tanning agent. this fixiation cross links the tanning agent with the tannable hide matter and you have a tan. Many things onlly give the apperance of tan. The degree of tan can be tested. It all boils down to what you are willing to accept.

20. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Bobbie, you don't look evil! LOL

Bill, that's the problem with tanning it seems, there are so many different ways people do it. I just want to pick a method and do it, but want reliable results. With my limited space, about a 8'X8' space in the basement of my Ranch house, a process like a brush on tan would work perfact.

Monte, that makes sence to me, those are the type of answers I am looking for. Informative but not too informative so someone that doesn't have a chemistry major can understand. I have gone through some of Glens answers to questions and am lost in the first paragragh sometimes LOL.