1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing Horns from a sheep (picture tutorial)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by hoytman, Dec 16, 2008.

1. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I am attaching a bunch of pictures and a (how I do it) for removing the sheaths off sheep, goats.. I could assume it would work for most (horned) animals..

Short list of Supplies that you will need are as follows:

1. 2 x durable trash bags To seal the skull in
    2. 1 x Screw driver (flat tip) Used later to pop the suction seal and remove horns)
    3. 2 x T pins Used as a (key) to line up holes later
    4. Clothes basket (or cardboard box will suffice) I started in the laundry room until the smell leaked out a bit.. then I got kicked to the basement real quick
    5. Jar if Vicks vapor rub
    6. Power Drill w/ smallest bit you can find..

2. Re: Removing the Horns / Sheaths on sheep...(tutorial)

Please do

3. Tom Kleckner

Tom Kleckner New Member

Re: Removing the Horns / Sheaths on sheep...(tutorial)

i would like to see it done

4. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

me too. had another local taxidermist call and ask me how to do it. i had to call another guy who has done a few. but i would love to see a tutorial.

5. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

You cant get a good photo of the smell though Jesse.

6. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Once you have the tools lined up to use at a later date.. Place the horned skull in a trashbag, seal it.. then place that bag in another one and seal them good.. ensure you dont poke a hole in either bag.. Once double bagged I like to use a box or Clothes basket in this case to transport them to a nice, warm area of the shop, house, garage or where ever you can find a place to put them for a minimum of 1 week..

Pictured is my daughter with her mouflon that she shot last Monday, I bagged them last tuesday evening when I returned home from our trip.. Before hand I removed as much meat, eyes and lower jaw..

Second pic is of them double bagged sitting in a area not to be disturbed for a week..

7. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

After waiting a minimum of 1 week allowing them to (ROT).. take the bag (OUTSIDE), place some vicks vapor rub under your nose and stand up wind.. slowly open the bag.. things could be a bit juicy in their so go slow..

After removing them from the bag, I use my drill and make a small hole in the back of each horn using the smallest bit I can find, yet big enough to allow a standard T pin to be inserted at a later date

Once you have a hole drilled, grab your screw driver and start slowly going aorund the base of the horns at a steep angle.. Mostly grissle, tendons and a thin skin stuff that is attached, go around slowly and break the (seal) so to speak.. Dont hit the horns and dont jab into the skull.. it can cause scratches and grooves.. just go slow and use your hand not a Hammer or anything to pound and force it.. a screwdriver will work...

8. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Once you have the seal broken at the base, they will slide off easily.. start on one side and repeat on the other.

Picture 1 shows the horn sheaths slid off

Picture 2 shows a T pin inserted in the core of the skull..

9. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I will go back a step and show a close up of the hole drilled through the horn and into the middle of the core.. I do this for several reasons.. It gives me a peice of mind and takes the guess work and monkeying around with calipers and a tape later down the road.. With being able to have a (small hole) in their, Once the skull part is finished (I will continue this in a week or two).. You mix up some bond and fiberglass strands and put a cupfull in the horn sheaths.. insert on the cores and match the holes up.. insert the T pin to be SURE and when the bondo kicks you remove the pin.. Once cured and dry, a yiny bit of Allgame mixed with brown paint to match the color of the horn and you plug the hole.. You wont ever know their was a hole their and the horns will be Exactly in the same place when you put them back on as they were when you took them off. No guesswork,, to high, low, wide, far down.. None.. I am sure their is a dozen ways to skin this cat.. it's just a way I do it.

Hoytman

10. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Once I have the horn caps off, I put a 1/2 cup of salt in their to suck the moisture out.. Leave the salt in for 10-20 minutes.. Then I dump the salt, rinse with HOT water and then fill with regular water and liquid Lysol.. Then I remove the Vicks from under my nose.. I leave the Lysol and water mixture in their until I am ready to re attach in 2-3 weeks once the skull is cleaned.. ;D

Again, their is many ways to do this.. I am not here to say my way of doing things is right, wrong or crazy.. It's just how I do it. Hopefully this will help a few Newbies on here or maybe an grumpy ol' timer.. J/K George... :D

Ohh, almost forgot, Once I remove the sheaths and am left with the skull, I cut about 1/2 of the legth of the core off.. They will be hollow inside and about a 1/2" thick all the way around.. I then toss them in a bucket and continue the masceration process.. Then degrease, whiten and once I am at that point.. I will revisit and continue the tutorial all the way through to a european mount of a Mouflon Ram..

Happy Holidays to all; Hoytman

11. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Bill, when I opened the bag, I almost lost it.. and I have smelt some nasty decayed (lets say things) in my life.. but this is pretty gross.. Yummy

12. Hoyt do you have a post where you post a pic of this Coriscan

13. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Brushwolf, Its not a corsican, Its a mouflon..

14. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

We'll I finally have most of my stuff unpacked and got to my daughters skull in a 5 gallon bucket.. Needs some more degreasing and some more whitening.. (its pretty good, just not to the level I like em.. Once finished I will post the rest of the process..

I have had a bunch of people in the past month or to PM me for additional info.. Hold on, Sorry for the delay.

Hoytman

15. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

The skull is clean now and in the degreasing process... Once done their, I'll whiten it and post up some more pics..

16. great post thanks

17. Blue Tick

Blue Tick New Member

I have an aoudad to do and this looks like it should work easily. Any other tips or suggesstions?

18. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I sent ya a pm

19. JerseyJays

JerseyJays New Member

great tutorial, will this work outside in cold weather? i think i need to wait for spring.