1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sealing a skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by bowhunterq2xl, Dec 28, 2006.

1. bowhunterq2xl

bowhunterq2xl Hillbilly pride runs deep

What do you use to seal a skull? I was thinking about using polytranspar sealer. Mainly because I have some, but I know this will leave a gloss finish. Which is more desirable to the customer? Gloss or natural weather bone finish? Also is it acceptable to paint a skull rather than bleach? First year I've taken In skull mounts, due to the smell. This also maybe my last :p

2. wacbravo

wacbravo TEAM WAC

You can seal a skull that way just fine. I've found, however, that most customers rarely want their skulls sealed (they don't like the glossy look and neither do I), so check with them first. Also, I wouldn't recommend painting the skull if you are going for a white skull finish. The whitening phase is an important phase of the process, helping to sanitize and clean the skull. Also, most customers prefer the whitened look over the weathered, unwhitened look (again, ask your customers... there is an appeal to each finish). The painted-white look just appears fake, and it is not favored by the majority. I'd ask your customers what they want as they're the one's who will be paying for it, but my opinion is to definitely peroxide whiten the skull and leave out the sealer.

3. bowhunterq2xl

bowhunterq2xl Hillbilly pride runs deep

Thanks wacbravo! You seem to very knowledgable on the subject so I take your advice. Like I said, this is the first year I've taken in skulls, so I have lots to learn. I have 15 deer euro mounts to do. I have them all cleaned, so I proceed to the peroxide after I degrease.

4. bassbob

bassbob first coyote

I seald mine withkrylon crystal clear non yellowing sealer works fine

5. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Mop-n-glow for wax.

6. bassbob

bassbob first coyote

good idea never thought of that

7. jkidd

jkidd New Member

I seal mine with WASCO fish sealer. Light coat. Slight shine but not glossy. My customers like it. But as was mentioned before, ask the customer what they prefer and give them what they want. Different strokes for different folks.

8. I had someone suggest using 50/50 white glue and water mix. Tried it out, and I like it. There is no shine to it, and it is cheap.

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

That's what I use HillbillyAndy...It works, it don't shine, and its cheap...my three favorite flavors!!!

10. Jeniffer johnson

Jeniffer johnson New Member

Does anyone use quick shine, to seal the skull?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  11. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

You can try some on a few test skulls and see if you like what it does. Sounds like a product similar to Mop N Glow. You can also search the archives on here for .. Sealing Skulls. Search only in the Skulls and Skeletons section and you will come up with many posts.

Jeniffer johnson likes this.
  12. Jeniffer johnson

Jeniffer johnson New Member

Thank you, so much for your help.