1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

need guidance please

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by erwinhusni, Dec 28, 2006.

1. erwinhusni

erwinhusni New Member

I was a beginner in skin tanning.
    I needed your suggestions from you all, my question is,is it able to "deliming" sheep skin only with formula “urea and water?
    What’s the influence when increased in sulphide acid?
    thank's

2. bowhunterq2xl

bowhunterq2xl Hillbilly pride runs deep

Wow :eek: 3 posts in 3 min. Sorry I don't have a clue what your talking about

3. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I'm going to give this a shot - even though I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

I assume that you want to delime the skin (leather) after dehairing. And you are asking if ureaic acid and water will work. Since that particular acid is an acid produced by urine I'm also assuming it may not be capable of having a sufficient amount of acid in it to accomplish what you want to do - namely neutralize and kill the effects of the Lime. A relatively cheap way to accomplish the same is to simply use Ammonium Sulphate instead. And some Tanners add a Bate (for more softness) to it to accomplish 2 steps in one. This is the standard way in the leather industry.

You need to kill the effects of the Lime effectively or otherwise you will experience "blotching" (uneveness) of the dyes if you attempt to dye it later.

You also mentioned using a Sulphide? Are you referring to Sodium Sulfite? This is an accelerator used with Lime to increase its effectiveness during the liming process. It will definitely increase the rate of dehairing, but it's also extremely caustic.

4. erwinhusni

erwinhusni New Member

3 times..sorry..Somewhat nervous bro..
    You were right bruce...about my question, just was my wrong expression.

1.After skin dehairing, to eliminate the lime was used water, urea/ammonium salt and sulphuric acid.
    My question could deliming only with water and urea/ammonium salt?

2.When skin will be pickled, could the formula pickle only salt and formic acid?How long optimal time to pickle?

Your suggestion will be very useful for me, thank's

Regard

Erwin