1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Offical Challenge Issue Thread (New Challenges Here)

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jeremy, Dec 17, 2008.

1. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

I was thinking it might be fun to do a face off contest between individuals. The way it could work is say I put out a challenge and throw 25.00, or 50.00 or 100.00 towards a challenger, if he accepts he puts up the same $ and we send the money to a volunteer bookie. We then have 2 months to complete the bird that was agreed upon. We each submit the agreed upon # of pictures to the thread and then it is open for vote by poll by the taxi net members for a couple of days or whatever?

Heres a example, I Jeremy challenge for a face off on a drake mallard ( or whatever bird you want) with this pose ( here I would insert a reference pic) to who ever would take me up on it. I throw in 50.00 towards the challenge.

At this point you wait for some one to accept your challenge and agree to the terms ( pose, time limit and such...) When agreed we ask for someone on here to be the bookie.. :D and then we send them the money. Maybee the bookie should get a handlers fee, I don't know but sound fair for his trouble?

Some questions what if you are like me and kinda suck and than one of the good guys come around and accepts your challenge? Should you be able to decline? Or is it too bad to sad and follow through with it anyway ;D This would all be in good fun of course and what a way for us to hone our skills and learn by competing with each other. Should it be open to only 2 people or should it be open to multiple people with a time limit to pay in? It sounds like a little bit of work but on the other hand it would be a good learning experience and would be fun....I think :-\

I don't know, it may have some bugs to get worked out but first are there any of you feathers heads interested or are you a bunch of chickens.

2. bulldawg

bulldawg Member

Re: Heres a idea, what do you featherheads think?

I think that I am in.....if I can only compete against myself since I have only done a few birds and then at least I could break even on the deal. Unless of course it was a tie...oh never mind ::)

3. jeremy

And just think you could also be your bookie and make some money on the deal paid for of course from yourself, sounds like a win win.

4. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

sounds fun, maybe try to get folks classified as beginner, intermediate, and advanced, and only people in the same class can compete against each other...???? those in a lower class can take a challenge from higher class as they get better and improve thier classification..???
    AO

5. jeremy

AO i was thinking on that, that may be allot of record keeping unless we just do the honor system and each individual classifies himself to his level and states it during his inital challenge.

Also the availibility of the bird would be a factor. If one has a pintail, woodie, pheasant, quail in his freezer then you may get a taker/takers quick but if you issue a challenge on say a African Beecatcher or a Titmouse than you may not get many takers.... but than again you may.

It would be up to the challenger to set the rules IE.. time llimit on acceptence, time frame, amount of cash and then the one who accepts can negotiate the terms but they keep them posted on this thread for us to see how it plays out. We can have multiple ones going and it would be fun to see the competion unfold on this thread.

6. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

Lots of factors in play, shot birds vs. farm birds, pin feathered vs. prime .... onand on but that can be discussed when a challenge is made, the two compeeting can compare notes and accept or not, I guess if you dont have a good bird to challenge or accept then wait til you do. ya that s that. ;)
    AO

7. jeremy

Yep it will be in the individuals hands wether to issue a challenge or not and/or to accept if they have a decent bird or even access to the species be offerd in the challenge.

BTW this is NOT to take the place of the 2009 Internet Avain Challenge, there are plenty of us looking towards that one.

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I'm poor enough. I don't need to lose money I don't have.
    But it sounds fun.

9. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

[ This would all be in good fun of course and what a way for us to hone our skills and learn by competing with each other

Sounds nice, but I dont know if there should be money involved...

i´ll challenge Peter Span with a Mute Swan!

10. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

i challenge taxos to a turkey ;D i will do my bird on christmas eve with sage 'n' onion stuffing, roast potatos, yorkshire pudding's and all the trimming's . 8) all mounted on a big plate.. ;D ;) i bet my gravy win's hand's down... :eek: ;D :D ;)

11. Peter Span

Peter Span Corvids, gotta catch them all!

;D yep a mute swan it is going to be...under the claw of a stellers sea eagle of course 8)

12. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

+1, drop the cash requirement and im in.

13. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

intersting idea Jeremy whos your challenge gonna be?? :eek:

14. jeremy

On the money issue, its not set in stone infact thats the beauty of let the challenger set the inital guidlines, if he dosent want to do it for money then just state its a gentlemans faceoff. Or he can issue the challenge and state the winners pot goes to charity wich would be pretty cool, on the other hand if someone or ones want to get a pot going and get in on it before the deadline set by the challenger then thats would be okay also, espically if you got 5 people in at 50.00 each might be a real reason to try your hardest to produce a winner. I dont know these are just thoughts and nothing set in stone yet, I want your ideas to see if its doable.

Ron Ill issue one if there seems to be a good response on here bout it, right now though im up to my elbows in a big fat greasy mallard and every time I look at it I think about our friends across the pond that have a grease phobia :D :D :D. Just messin Taxos, Lee and Peter.
    Plus I gotta figure out which one of my own birds I want to do next.... when I find the time :mad: :mad: :mad:

15. Re: Heres a idea, what do you featherheads think?

I think it is a great idea

16. fireduck

fireduck Member

Hey Jeremy,
    what about an actual contest like they have at show, armature, pro..etc... and take multiple picture so the one judging can see everything. and give out ribbon and certificate or something..

17. Re: Heres a idea, what do you featherheads think?

Jeremy, very interesting idea. Are you talking birds that are not mounted yet, or birds that just got mounted say within a week or so???????? I'm sure we would be able to use customers birds before they get kicked out the door wouldn't we. That would sure limit the time frame I would think unless the customer is late picking up the bird. Sounds fun to me. John Naab

18. jeremy

John a customer bird would work if you had a reference photo to display when you issued your challenge. Again the time frame is up to the challenger and could be negotiated between the challengers. Say if you had a Mallard to do for a customer and had a reference photo to post up for the challenge that coincides with what your customers request, then why not use it for a challenge.

Fireduck RDA hosted a Internet Avain Challenge this year and there is talk about one for 2009, it is simalar to what you had requested. Search it on the search button it was alot of fun.

19. Matt

Matt Active Member

Sportinglife had a good point there. I think the money should be involved and a percentage should go to help guys and gals on here who need it. The rest he or she can pocket for the job well done.

20. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

Yes there will be a 2009 internet avian challenge, but this is another avenue and a chance to do some good for the sight and its users! Keep the thought coming!! ;)