1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How many are Fulltime and Partime taxidermist?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Lou, Sep 12, 2006.

At what level do you do taxidermy?

Poll closed Sep 26, 2006.
  1. Fulltime

47.5%
  2. Partime

41.3%
  3. Hobyist

11.3%
  1. Lou

Lou Modern day Mona Lisa :-)

PA
    Just curious....

2. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Right now taxidermy is just my hobbie, but I'd like to open my shop this year and go part-time for extra spending money.

3. Opened my business 14 years ago as part time, retired from full time job as a land surveyor a little over a year ago but decided to keep taxidermy as part time so that I will have all the time I want to hunt and fish myself and been enjoying every minute of it.

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Been doing taxidermy mostly full-time for the last 23 years. Sometimes I get burned out and think a change in career would be nice, but I'm still doin' it. Don't make a lot of money but I have a lot of freedom compared to a regular job.

5. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Uhh....you just stole my post!

6. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Hey Capt Lou!

F U L L T I M E LOL!

Good talking to you earlier! It was like pulling teeth but he 's gone!

Got to Love it!

Rick Krane

Gave you some Goooooood Karma!

7. weaver

weaver New Member

have a shop for 18 years,hunting guild for10 years, capture and sell exotic for two years ,and starting my own exotic hunts

8. I'm part time-- for now. I make too good of a wage at my full time job to justify a career change. I take in enough work every winter to support my summer hobbies (dirt bikes). This is what works for me.

I wont lie and say I don't wish at times to be my own boss.

9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Fulltime. Just got a call yesterday from an engineering firm I use to do work for. They wanted me for a month or so (That "or so" part in the engineering world means at least a YEAR - lol!) Even though I make triple the amount of cabbage in the engineering world, I am too far behind on my taxidermy work. And I had to turn it down. Even if I weren't behind I probably would turn it down now. Been there/done that. The money's good, but not a lot of release of the old creative juices with the CADD work. Maybe in the slow season. I always could pay off a bill or two...

10. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Part-time for now, working on going full-time.

11. hford

hford New Member

I started out partime in 1978 and went fulltime in 1995 I'd hate to know I had to go back to work for someone else.
    I've met some of the greatest people on earth at state and national conventions and I've had the priviledge of training several people that have become some of my closest friends.

12. Part time as hobby, But have 4 years till retirement at Fire Dept. so would like to have something to fall back on

13. Capt. Bryan

Capt. Bryan Guest

I only work a half of a day :eek:. The best part is i get to pick which 12 hours! :'(

14. Started 4 years ago part-time and took it on full-time one year ago and fotunatly still going.

15. B KENNEDY

B KENNEDY “THE YOUNG GUN”

OHIO
    part-time for now, hoping to go full time soon.

16. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

Same with me, part-time for 3 years not hoping to one day go full-time.

17. Keller

Keller New Member

Part time.... I have it too good now to go full time. I work 2 weeks on/ 2 weeks off, so this is what I do on the 2 off. I'm salary so there's a constant check, and I can steadily improve my Taxi skills. Though my job may be eliminated in the next year or so....Full time here I come.

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

What do you do if you don't mind me asking Keller?

19. I'm wondering how many of the full-timers have a spouse that works? It might be an easier decision for me to go full time if my wife worked and provided health insurance. Right now she is a stay-at-home mom (thats a full time job in itself).

20. Smiley

Smiley New Member

My wife has a full time job that allowed me to goto school and go full time into taxidermy.Wouldn't be able to probably if she didn't have a good job and health benefits.