1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

taxidermy school!! which one has the best 2 to 3 week class?PLZ help!!!!

Discussion in 'Training' started by hoghuntress, Dec 18, 2008.

1. hoghuntress

hoghuntress New Member

I'm planning to go to taxidermy school and have it set with my job that I could have leave for 2 (3 weeks max) in feb or march. I have looked into several but as a total beginner I'm having a very hard time fig out which will be the best choice. PLZ HELP I'm looking to start my own shop with a focus on gameheads ( wild boar, axis deer, mouflaun sheep, and some wild goat will be the most of my work) any suggestions, recommendations, or info would be soooo appreciated!!!!
    oh and ill be coming from Hawaii so boarding is def info ill need

Hope to hear back from everyone soon ;D

2. hoghuntress

hoghuntress New Member

no info?? :(

any thoughts on second nature?, central texas taxidermy school, american institute of taxidermy, texas hill country taxidermy school, or umm . A.R.T??
    good points, bad points any info would be awesome!!!!

3. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Give it some time......expecting an answer to a question here can take days.....not less than an hour! Have you been to the Schools link? Have you contacted ALL the schools listed to find out which ones offer the time frame and content you want? If so, just sit back and wait for comments. Some folks don't even visit here every day. You need to be patient, give it some time.

4. We would be more than glad to work out a schedule for you. We can detail it to whatever you want to mount and within the time frame you have. Please visit my thread just under this one entitled "Griffith's Big Game Taxidermy School students at work". Happy Holiday's. Thanks.

Best,

John Griffith
    www.griffithtaxidermy.com
    Stearns, Kentucky
    606-376-4380

5. hoghuntress

hoghuntress New Member

thank you all so much for the info I will look into all of that.. if anything else just add the info on ; )

again thank you much!

6. Big Tine

Big Tine have a great day

American institute of taxidermy

7. Wegner

Wegner New Member

Wegner's School of Taxidermy Milton, Edgerton Wis. area. I have 30 Years Experience. Trained one year with Steve Henthorn From Edgerton Wis. Golden Masters in Taxidermy . Give me a call. I Have had my school up and running now for about three year now. I have not had one unhappy student. You will get what you have coming to you from Wegner's School of Taxidermy. Not a supply Co. 608-868-4022 If you would like a school catalog.

8. jarhoj

jarhoj New Member

Try Western Pennsylvania School of Taxidermy. Loved it there and boarding is available close to the school.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Huntress, the trouble with an internet site like this is there's no requirement for disclosure. All the information you've been given is probably correct, but schools have a definite shortfall. First and foremost is that they are NOT going to make you a good taxidermists. YOU are going to have to do that by yourself, on your own time, with no one looking over your shoulder. I see "graduates" all the time on here begging for information, so of it startlingly basic at that. Next is the acceptance that you're most likely only to be taught the methods and procedures that have worked for THAT INSTRUCTOR. There's not enough time allotted for alternate methods. YOU are going to expected to have some modicum of taxidermy knowlege to begin with. If you're my fabled rocket scientist and decide to go to "taxidermy school", the likelihood of you coming out and doing quality work is but a pipe dream. What I see from my side is a "graduate" who comes out with rote memory of his classes. Within weeks, sometimes days, that rote fades away and he's doing crap work. Just the nature of the beast.

NONE OF THEM ARE ACADEMICALLY ACCREDITED. That means that completing a class by those few "accredited" schools will not count towards any degree program. So if that was on your mind, forget it. "Accreditations" only mean that the schools meet whatever minimum requirements a certain agency deems necessary for a "technical education".

None of this is intended to dampen your "fire" to be a taxidermist. Just keep your eyes and your mind open with whatever choice you make and remember that they will never be able to teach you "talent". If you don't have it when you get there, you won't find it while you're there either.

10. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

George, Anyone who thinks they can learn taxidermy in 3 weeks so they can open a business, is soooo sadly delusioned, that wasting advice to them is futile.

11. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

Again i will have to disagree with some of Georges opinions on taxidermy schools. hoghuntress didnt say she wanted to go to school for 2-3 weeks and then work for the Smithsonian, but rather go to school and eventually start a business. Well, you have to start somewhere.
    There are literally millions of people who take classes on a myriad of interesting subjects in this country. Threre are classes available in any number of subjects from oil painting and jewelry crafting to typing or boat building. People take these classes because they have an interest in that particular subject. Taxidermy may be of interest to some and a course in the basics will provide further information and enjoyment on the subject. I remember a talk given by Earl Nightengale where he stated that "its a well known fact that a person can be trained to do a credible apendectomy in 3 days... and that while this doesnt make make the person a physician or an expert on the subject, it goes to prove that you can learn something about any subject with a short, concise effort"
    any information on your subject of interest is valuable whether it be books, videos or hands on instruction, and for a lot of people the hands on instruction is the best way to most efficiently absorb information. I agree George that you cant teach talent. Only method. But its a start, and a part that beginners need help with the most. The mechanics have to come first before you can explore talent. I always tell students that there is more than one way to do everything im showing them, and that this is my way. Dont be afraid to experiment and try new ways. We run an actual taxidermy studio here and i think that students gain invaluable knowledge by seeing just how a taxidermy studio is operated. Teaching is something i gravitated toward because i enjoy passing on my knowledge on the subject to those who are similarly inclined. hoghuntress, i think if you want to go to school and try this taxidermy thing on for size, then go for it. you will either gravitate toward learning more or decide that "this is not for me afterall." The important thing is that you learn more about the subject before you make that decision. Jump in, learn from every avenue available to you, and have fun!

12. kindred spirits only has 3 students per class. A very good learning experience.

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Bill, we'll have to agree to disagree then. I'm sure if I owned a school, I, too, would have a difficult time seeing the forest for the trees. I wish you could hear and see some of the things I do on a daily basis from "graduates" of schools. I have no doubt you run a top quality operation and your instructions are from your heart, but on this side of the school, it ain't so. MANY schools are simply in if for the money. I know one guy in particular who teaches school kids by showing them videos and as far as I know has never done commercial work. I've actually referred people to you in the past and will again in the future, but I won't blow roses up their ass. There's a cold cruel world out there and if they come out producing halfassed work after hanging out their shingle, they're going to face that right up front.

14. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

Taxidermy is not "information" that you can download in two weeks. If anyone can "learn" taxidermy in only a couple of weeks and actually open a shop, their name would be Tiger Woods or Michael Jordon. Be patient and let two weeks turn into 6 or more, and then practice before you take on the responsibility of being responsible for other people's trophies. If you are serious about a school, then I would reccomend contacting RJ Simington who is an actual taxidermist with a successful taxidermy business who does not depend on teaching taxidermy to survive. You will learn taxidermy and see how a busy shop operates.

15. hoghuntress

hoghuntress New Member

OK wow.. well first Ill say TY for all the input. I do feel I should say that I do know that a 2 week class wont equal a business. I am trained in a few talent based vocations and know it takes hard work and constant learning. I have a passion for hunting, and that brought me to a fascination I share with my boyfriend in taxidermy. I can hold my on (so far) anyways in most artistic based areas and feel I am capable. as said how much so willnot be determind until I get my hands in it. I am a jump in there and do it type. Soo for me to find out if taxidermy is a "fit" (which I hope it is) I need to try it out. Being in Hawaii I am limited as to the opportunities I have to do this. So a two week class (which is all my job will let me off for at a time) is a start, if I seem to have a knack for it then a different two week class, and then who knows how many... Bill got my intent right... the end "hope" is a business, the start is my first 2 week class. sorry I wasn't sooo specific in my play by play intent, I was just wanting some info to fill in some gaps I had about classes since I cant really just take a drive to go check it out for myself. I didn't realize my rationalization would become the biggest talking point.

i would say I am at a cross roads of two and will prob end up trying both at some point, budget is a huge factor right now so I do thank you all of you who gave me usable info. I will defiantly check into them all and appreciate you taking the time to help me out very much!!!!

I'll be seeing you all on the forums I guess
    Hope everyone had a wonderful New Years Day!!!

As we say here..
    Mahalo for the 411 and Aloha

16. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

hoghuntress, get "some" experience with taxidermy BEFORE you take a class or instruction of any kind. I taught at one of the early schools, many years ago, many years ago. The people who took our classes varied from absolutely no experience to journeymen, wanting to improve their techniques. The people who got the most out of them were the in between people, with some experience. They had the basics down, but not the details. The absolute beginners were overwhelmed and really got nothing because we moved beyond them too fast. The journeymen were held back by the pace of teaching the beginners from scratch. They had to progress on their own and get help from instructors, when they weren't trying to keep the beginners up to speed. If you aren't comfortable and reasonably proficient with skinning and the fundamentals of mounting, you'll be learning that, when you should be working on getting the details down. You only have a limited amount of time, so it's up to YOU to get the most out of it. Even the best instructor in the world can't teach you enough of the "fine" points if they have to give you the basics first, given a time limitation.

17. The American Institute of Taxidermy is a good school. He comes from a long line of taxidermists and his classes can be broken down to fit your needs. You can get a game head class for 1 week, a bird class for 1 week, a mammal class for 1 week or a fish class for 3 weeks. Even though it doesn't sound like you plan on doing fish, I highly recommend starting with that class. It has basics in using all the tools and alot of airbrushing, that you need in other mounts. Dennis also offers DVD's on all his classes and they are like being in class except for asking questions and getting coffee. These classes by no means cover everything you need to run a business, but they cover the basics very well and the rest depends on you. I went there 9 years ago, went part time and I am now full time.

18. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

One more thiung since you are in the pacific you should do classes that relate to the species you will see there right now how else are you going to improve does not make much sense to learn whitetails if you are there unless you will be moving to the continental US. Like turkeys or goats, Hogs or what they might have at game farms if any Just my opinion