1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Year #3 Week #12 This Week In Fish pictures!!!! (Rick is without the interweb)

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jknuth, Dec 19, 2008.

1. NJTrapper,
    Your reproduction Trout looks good ! I'm sure you will be doing more, as it saves $$, instead of buying a commercial blank, when possible.

2. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    Here's a fish I recently finished. I haven't done one of these in almost 20 years. This is a 45" replica from fisherman's tale. The client told me he had caught it in Canada as a catch and release. He had no pictures of it and said he'd go with my judgement. Well that went fine until it was done!!! He picked it up and basically my understanding was that it was at least satisfactory. A couple hours later he called back and had found photos of his fish and looked at images on the internet and said they were all brown, could I fix his? He brought the fish and his photos so I now have the task of turning it brown.

Anyway..............if anyone has some suggestions on making it browner I'd appreciate it. Don't want to white it out or strip it.
    [​IMG]

In conclusion, I'm wishing all of you a most joyous Christmas and the best of prosperity for the new year.

jerry

3. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Jerry,
    Liquid mask all the markings and the belly and tint with some transparent brown

PB

4. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Jerry, red and green make brown.

Jimmy, your steelhead turned out great!

Jeff

5. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

Here is the fish you guys helped me identify some time back....First LMB

6. J. Sonner

J. Sonner New Member

Sparkyf-great job on your first bassasaurous

7. Re: Year #3 Week #12 This Week In Fish pictures!!!! (Rick is without the interwe

WOW!
    Great fish this week.

Well as of an hour ago the shop is officially closed for the holidays.
    I just finished probably the last fish I will do in 2008.

A Bigmouth Buffalo my dad got this summer (Christmas present for him). Its not a huge fish, but its a very hard fish to catch on hook and line, and this was a first for him. He had been trying for them since he was a boy.
    Other buffalo are easier to pursue, but Bigmouth Buffalo feed at mid level or at the surface, this makes bait presentation very hard, not to mention how incredibly spooky these fish are.

This one was fun to paint and I wish the iridescent colors would show up better in the photo.
    anywho custom molded and cast. and a pic of my dad with the fish right out of the river.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Happy holidays everyone and stay safe if you are traveling.

8. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    Great job Josh, I'm sure your Dad will be tickled to get it. Always a pleasure seeing your work!!

9. TomL

TomL New Member

Awesome job Josh. I'd have to say a perfect match. Good job to eveyone else too.

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I love the sutble colors in the largemouths this week. No harsh lines, my fav! UFD, I'll bet you like those big ol' bass scales. Wild Bill, yours looks great too, and sparkyf pulled off a soft looking lmb on his 1st try!!! Great job guys.

Oh yeah, Josh's Buff looks killer as well.

11. SWEEEEEEEET Josh!!!!!! Thats a cool species, but most of the fish you do are rather different. :D

I love the brass and emerald tones to it.

Do you catch those guys on corn and cigarette butts too? ;D

12. Hehe A wise guy huh?

No these are actually rather fussy.
    he got his on a small wax worm that was weighted to drift an inch below the surface. they are really spooky and will scatter if they see you.
    I picked some up on small hair nymphs on my fly rod, the strike zone is tiny, they dont chase the bait.
    they actually eat small insects

13. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Nice paint job Josh! I especially like the metallic scales against the dark fin bases!

Jeff

14. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

Josh, thats awsome! Jeff Sonner and Cole, thanks for the encouragement......Truth is, without some tips from UFD, and Coles tutorial, I would have never been able to pull that off. Thats what makes this sight so great! How many other fields help out their "Competition" like the boys on here?? Pretty cool place. Merry Christmas to all of you! Mark

15. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Josh

That is super saweet!

:)

Kerby...

16. mayhem15

mayhem15 New Member

Great fish guys. Impressive Buffalo~ Josh.

Here's my most life-like striper yet. blank from our pal Capt Bruce.

You fishheads, have a merry Christmas...oh wait ,can we say the "C' word on here? Or is it going to be replace with " Holiday"?

[​IMG]

17. RDA

RDA Active Member

now THATS COOOOL!! :D

18. Nice rockfish Mike!!!!!

Is it animated for the customer too? ;D That should cost a few more bucks an inch huh?

19. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

great fish work again this week guys........

20. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Happy holidays all! So many wonderful fish this past 2 week as I have been as from the internet. Thank you Josh for a great job filling in! Well it has been over 2 weeks since I have been on here and I do miss reading and learning from all of you. We have had quite a time here in New Hampshire. I'm certainly not as bad off as so many here. A few down trees up on the property that can wait till the spring a few leaks and a 1.2 of water in the basement but it is all coming back together! With out phone, electricity or Internet (LOL) you sure get use to the quite! LOL! It has been a challenging month or so for me personally but I'm a New Englander and that just means I'm harder headed then most LOL!

I have posted a weekly contribution with the SMQ’s and the TWIFP all the back to February 6 2006 until the past 2 week with out missing a beat no matter where I was or what i was doing. Well Mother nature won out this time as she offten does! The break was Nice and the absents of phones and internet was well.... Nice! . I'm so glad that folks still care on and contribute to this great learning environment we call the Forum! Big thanks to Josh for stepping in to the TWIFP. As the Holidays reach near this evening I thank all of you who inspire me while sharing kindness and thoughtful wishes! I have about 300 emails to sort though ( about 200 are done already) and I will get to them if there are any emails that I haven't gotten to as of yet and are very important please resend them to me and I will do my very best!

I look forward to again reading and see the great contribution to this forum! I want to thank all who called or wrote and it means so much to me personally and to all of here!

My Best!
    Rick Krane