1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

If Krowtann is so easy......

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by redwolf, Dec 19, 2008.

1. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Why are there so many questions about it?
    I've never used it so I can't say much, but everyone claims it's the easiest tan out there, but there are at least 5 questions a week about it.
    Just wondering why ???

2. RDA

RDA Active Member

;D ;D cuz itz to eeezy to comprehend.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

3. Because the directions on the bottle look way too simple for a tanning process.

When they say 64oz of salt........why don't they say 4 lbs.? . That what I meant, Bill. :D
    Could it be fluid ounces? ;D

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Because its only 4 lbs.

5. RDA

RDA Active Member

and thus the confusion ;D ;D ;D ZZZZZZING!!!!

6. Moosabec Taxidermy

Moosabec Taxidermy New Member

I like using Krotann, because it's easy, and it gives a nice white tan, but the fumes are rather toxic...

7. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

Just a question what is the toxic ingredient in Krowtann?

8. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

Oldshaver your right about the popularity thing I notice that krowtann causes more pissing matches than any other product I've read about on this site. Problem is you can't really tell who pisses the farthest. I was just wondering I work for a small pharmaceutical company. Fluoride is toxic it has a skull and cross bones on it when we get it in but most people brush there teeth with it everyday. Phenol is toxic it goes into a cream that is placed on the skin and in chloraseptic mouth spray. Some oxidizers cant be air shipped a reaction to something else an you got a fire in the air. I suspect the people who don't like it say its toxic because it smells, thing is alot of things smell that are not toxic. I'm pretty sure we have formic acid where I work I'll check the MSDS for chits and giggles.

9. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

OS.......Now that was a very good answer to that question and exactly what I was thinking...........I just couldnt put it in the words as well as you did ...............Did You have fun with them hides I sent ya lol?.............

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Its simplicity is aimed at, among others, folks who are just beginners who know little about tanning, and who find things like pickling too complicated...need I say more??? That being said, I felt that the product did well on some thin skinned species I tried it on.

11. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I think that's a lot of it. I know I had questions that the directions didn't really answer, but I followed them anyway and it worked ;)

12. TD

I can add a couple of tips to those directions.I work capes with Krowtan day in and day out and I got a few habits that I do that seem to prevent problems along the way.For one.......... when I put my capes in the Krowtan ........I put them in hair side out and after picking them up and down in and out of the solution(Thus being sure that the hair side is saturated with chemicals),I then turn them inside out in the solution and do the same.This insures the Krowtan gets over all the cape at the first leaveing no dead spots on the cape.hair and skin side.

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Personally, I think the questions are generated by the fact that it's NOT a conventional tan. (I know Tom, I can see the blood vessels in your temples flaring already. LOL). But it isn't. Conventional tans DO require more steps and intricate process. Krowtann is no different from DP, or One Hour Tan, or Spray Tan, or even my favorite, JRTS. It just doesn't conform to "convention". When the beginner reads about tanning on here, he's confronted with this list of do's and don'ts, yet when he orders Krowtann, it says basically, "Fageddaboutit". I'm sure that doesn't register any more than my claim to JRTS being a real tan without requiring a pickle. Anyway, Redwolf, scroll to the top of the page and type your question in the SEARCH block. It probably won't work since nothing else does, but try it anyway. LMAO.

14. TD

But George..........It is different from DP and One Hour Tan and probably JRTS(I haven't used JRTS )..........It works BETTER.......... and that is a fact............

(I know Tom, I can see the blood vessels in your temples flaring already. LOL).
    Not me George.........I always sit here behind this keyboard with a calm little smile on my face and occasionally get a good laugh ..........A good Krowtan Debate is just plain fun lol...............

15. lol the first time a opened a krowtann bottle it about knocked me out ..

16. bone_painter

bone_painter "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."

+1 Brush, I opened that stuff outside, away from my face and it hit me like a ton of bricks... I had a horrible asthma attack and then had trouble breathing for about a week. My poor little doe cape is probably scrap by now because I haven't wanted to go back and open the lid after all that (it was an iffy cape at best anyways...) I need to get a filtered resporator before I use the Krowtan again. I don't want to waste it, so I'm going to use up what I have left, but in the long run, I don't think it's for me...
    Er... by the way, I have a question about Krowtan... (LOL Redwolf!) what's the conversion of pounds to cups for the salt? I don't have a scale. I found the conversion a while back but now I can't find it...

17. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

George, I've done that and there are a LOT of questions. That is why I posted this thread. I'm not looking for answers on how to use it, I'm thinking about trying it out.
    But I just couldn't figure out why there are so many pages that come up when I do a search because they say it is so easy to use.

Old Shaver that does make sense to me. Good explanation.

18. TD

Hey Redwolf ,Give me a call and I'll give you some tips on how to use it to get the best stretchy cape you can get............... 7065340303...................

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Redwolf, Tom's going to tell you to switch to JRTS (Which he's NEVER USED. LOL).

20. TD

Acctually.......... I was going to tell him to stay away from it, because it's made for gasoline a$$e$ lol