1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

If Krowtann is so easy......

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by redwolf, Dec 19, 2008.

1. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

HMMM I called but there was no answer. Must have caller ID ::)

2. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Sorry Redwolf,Just got back from a Xmas party............Called you back and left a message............

3. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Phone tag :D :D Hurry and call again so we can talk about George ::) ;)

4. TD

Its too early to talk about George..........Thats only after a few cups of coffee :-\ :-\ :-\

5. TD

Nice conversation Redwolf..............and we only mentioned George once and that was brief ................And it wasnt bad George lol.............

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Yes Tom it was nice. ;) Thanks for the tips.

7. Bone painter......I left a bear hide in krowtan for over 2 years...mostly because i thought it was scrap when i didn't get back to it fast enough and was afraid it would be a disgusting mess......when I finally had a chance to toss it....i opened the container and it was fine.....it's been mounted a good 9 months now and is OK.....luck ? maybe.....but I was happy with the finished product...just my 2 cents...Mike. ;)

8. TD

Not luck Mike.........I have thrown practice capes that I use to teach with and left in KT for a good two years and mounted one up not long ago and it was no different than if it had only been days..............

9. bone_painter

bone_painter "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."

Wowzers, right on... maybe my little doe isn't ruined then. After the first of the year I'm going to pick up some carbon filter masks & check it out. I'm a beginner to taxidermy and a total beginner to tanning. This little doe is the first thing I've ever tried to tan & also the first deer cape I've ever worked on. Even though she's not perfect, I'll be really happy if she comes out ok :)

10. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

There are many pickles that will hold a hide indefinatly.

Bone painter, if you need a formula that will not hurt you pm me. If you don't need the carbon filter mask for something else then you won't need to buy it.
    Monte

11. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Why not share it with all of us.?
    It might be something some of us might be interested in trying.

12. TD

Monte's tan is a great tan and if I use Liqua tan then it would be my preferred method.

13. Monte

Bob, I will post it later. It is fool proof.

14. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Sounds good Monte.

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

"Foolproof"? Isn't that what the advertisement about Krowtann states? LMAO That's also the term J.W. Ellwood used for his "Calorax". None of these guys knew the numbers of fools we deal with.

16. Monte

laugh all you want George. I will help these folks, because they ask. And, I have the experience and knowledge to do it.

George , your stamp of approval is not needed for me to help people.

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Monte, you've become crotchety in your old age. I'm sure some people CAN and will use your recipe and it's certainly a welcome addition as we BOTH know that over the years there have been thousands of such good and effective recipes. The only difference is that today, the only way that "safety matches" became "foolproof" was when the government took them off the market. Giving the devil his due, Krowtann IS a very simplified method, yet you'll notice there are literally hundreds of threads here asking how to use and and complaining that the directions aren't simple enough for them to understand. I wasn't trying to give you an "approval", just advising you that you'll need to be ready to answer the inevitable questions you get when you post it.

18. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

no need for a scale use a standard liquid measuring cup and measure out 64 0z of salt and 8 oz of KT all measurements involved with KT are VOLUME measurments not weight .

19. Monte

George, I am not old, I am only 66. I am prepaired to answer any questions . I know the answers. I know how and I know why. There will be no comparisons to anything else, Just this process. When I get time to type it out , and try to be complete, I will post it
    I am not promoting anything and not selling anything . Just going to help where I was ask.

20. LMAO at the "safety" matches.....reminds me of the lady that wrecked her new car when I worked at a Ford dealer......she didn't know why she had to pay for the damage......it had a 12 month "bumper to bumper" warranty......go figure...... :-\