1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

If Krowtann is so easy......

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by redwolf, Dec 19, 2008.

1. moongast01

moongast01 My first love is God my second is My Wife....

Ok my 2 centys wort here.
    I use krowtann on all my mounts ibcludeing hard dries african skins and it works great with lots of stretch just shave as thin as possible.
    I have also started soft tanning thin skined animals with it like yotes and so far working out great will try more as I can.
    But I love the stuff myself and I like the 2000 better then the Special WT Formula.
    But then again each to his own. ::)

2. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

I knew there was more Krowtan lovers out there ..............just waitin to come out lol....................

3. moongast01

My sjop is small for the amout of work we do and after a few bad times with a tannery Krowtan saves us a lot of headach and space and it also allows us total control of the tanning process.

4. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

Bob, Here is the formula I use in house on about 200 capes and lifesize a season. Another 200 are sent out for commercial tan.

This is per gallon and I use 4 gallon of pretan/pickle per deer cape (plenty of room for the cape to move around--very important
    use hot water to dissolve the salt and alum

For each gallon of water add 4 oz of aluminum sulphate
    add 6 0z of pure salt
    when the salt and alum have dissolved you may put the skin in it and as long as you can put your hand in it ,the skin can also be added. you do not have to wait for it to cool. Note; this warm pickle will set the hair. If there is any loose hair it is from spoilage , this will stop it where it is and no further deteriation will occur

Leave in the pickle for 2 days, stirring as often as you can. when you leave it for the nite just make sure all you see is hair side up to prevent getting a dry spot
    After 2 days pull , drain and shave and return overnite

Day three pull, drain and when most of the lipuid is out of the skin. Heat up the liqua-tan to where you can still put you finger in it and hold it without getting burnt. Paint the liqua-tan on the skin.
    Then roll up and leave overnite in a warm place if possible. The next morning check for pooling of the liqua-tan and rub in any pools then hang over a board or some thing to air it for about an hour
    Now if you want wet tan it is ready to mount
    I prefer to dry the capes just like dry tan commercial and then soak back in very mild salt water. when rehydrated I was in pert towel dry and mount

If you are comming from dry salt you must rehydrat first.
    Since salting does more than just dry a cape I prefer to atleast salt for 2 days then rehydrate , wash and put in the pickle

The pH of the pickle is of no concern since it is self limiting and will be about 3-3.5 . The higher pH of the liqua-tan will raise the pH and the tan will happen.
    I will try to answer any questions
    Hope this helps

Follow these steps and you will have great capes for mounting
    Additional steps must be taken to make soft furs or rugs

NOTE, THIS MY OWN WAY OF USING THESE PRODUCTS AND IS NOT THE METHOD DESCRIBED BY THE DISTRIBUTERS OR MANUFACTURES

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Thank you Monte. I've never used liqua tan before, but I just might have to now.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Thanks Monte. That's one of those time proven recipes that create an exceptional tan IF they follow the directions - expecially about the warm to hot water.

7. Marc A

Marc A Beaver Creek Taxidermy

I don't understand the questions either, just follow the directions, it's not rocket science !

8. moongast01

Hay Monte thanks for the recipe on this post I am going to try it on my soft tans seems the Krowtan will work but the tan side does not look as good as a pickle and then tan does. the Krowtan lokks more like just flesh then leather.

9. Harold Ray

Harold Ray Paddle a kayak, and your worries disappear!

I know zero about tanning or Krowtann, but here in the discussion of use on the WASCO site, http://www.taxidermy.com/instructions/krowtann.html, it says:

MIXING DIRECTIONS FOR A LARGE DEER CAPE
    ALL MEASUREMENTS ARE VOLUME MEASUREMENTS
    IN 2.5 GALLONS OF WATER ADD
    8 OZ. (1 cup) OF KROWTANN 2000
    64 OZ. (8 cups) OF SALT
    NOTE: ALWAYS SHAKE UP KROWTANN 2000 BEFORE USING

BELOW ARE SUGGESTED AMOUNTS TO USE FOR DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS:
    LIFESIZE BOBCAT -- USE 1/2 OF ALL THE INGREDIENTS ABOVE
    ELK CAPE -- USE 3 TIMES ALL THE INGREDIENTS ABOVE
    LIFESIZE BLACK BEAR -- USE 3 TIMES ALL THE INGREDIENTS ABOVE
    CARIBOU CAPE -- USE 2 TIMES ALL THE INGREDIENTS ABOVE
    LIFESIZE COUGAR -- USE 2 TIMES ALL THE INGREDIENTS ABOVE

FOR BEST RESULTS -- FOLLOW DIRECTIONS
    DIRECTIONS FOR USE --
    Use only plastic containers. Always wear eye and skin protection (safety goggles and gloves). Use in a well ventilated area.

I can't find the ingredients, but you would have to assume there are some relatively smelly, possibly harsh, through not life threatening chemicals or substances in Krowtann simply because of the warning to: Use only plastic containers. Always wear eye and skin protection (safety goggles and gloves). Use in a well ventilated area.. It should be a given when you work with anything like this that care should be used.

Like I said I know nothing about this product, but I do plan to use it simply because I am a novice in this field. All of you were, too, at one time. Neither novices or experts should use these products though without reading the instructions carefully!

Ray

10. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Good morning Dr. Emerson ;) How are ya?

OK, the mysterious KT ingredients as listed on my lasted bottle are:
    Acetic Acid, Acid Bate, Alum, Aluminium Chloride, Aluminium Sulfate, Ammonium Alum, Bactericide, Citric Acid, Denatured Alcohol, Formic Acid, Gelon, Krow-Oil, Pickle Oil, Pre-Tan 110, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Sulfate, Tanning Agent, Vinegar.

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

But Doctor, you're assuming that all taxidermists can read and comprehend!!! Be careful, you're walking in a minefield if you assume that. LMAO

12. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

LMAO George.
    Think I'll go sniff some water-based airbrush paint and bondo and not wear gloves while skinning a coon. j/k ;)
    OSHA would have a field day in most taxidermy shops.

13. Harold Ray

Harold Ray Paddle a kayak, and your worries disappear!

Becky,

I'm doing great! Things are still rolling along in Waco.

George,

I'm learning more all the time, didn't realize reading and comprehension were problems in the group here. I thought those traits were just in veterinarians! ;D

Ray