1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

beginner deer form?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Drop-tine777, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Drop-tine777

Drop-tine777 What we do in life echoes in eternity!

Ohio
    Hello, I was wondering what you think the best shoulder mount deer form is for a first mount? and what pose? I would like to use the eye capsules and positive set ear butts if possible. any suggestions?? Thank you in advance.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

It doesn't matter on the first one, go cheap on the first few, as they will not be your best work. There is no best anyway, none of them snap together, you have to alter and make fit almost everything. If there was a best, why would you want the best to make the most mistakes on? ;D Just pick a form that fits your cape, the full sneak forms are easy to put a cape on, the full upright is the worst. Positive set ear butts doesn't mean that everybody can put them on a form right. The eye capsules are ok for the first one, but sooner or later, you will find that the other animals do not have eye capsules.

3. vandike as a really cheep one

4. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Agree vandikes.

5. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Make sure it is not too large. Order it smaller then you measure

6. Drop-tine777

Drop-tine777 What we do in life echoes in eternity!

Ohio
    Thank you all very much, Mr. T makes perfect sense in his advice thanks! 8)

7. John L

John L Active Member

Mckenzie 6500

8. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Kevin makes a great point for any beginner. Make sure you have a form that fits and wisdom is to err on the small side rather than risk having a form that is too large. Then go by price and the pose you want. A semi-sneak may be the best position for your first deer. If possible take the measurements from the cape after it is tanned THEN order your form to fit the cape. Have fun!

9. deadwood

deadwood New Member

I agree with semi=sneak, but would stay away from any off set on your first

10. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Hi Research mannikins first honest whitetail form is ok.Well good luck.
    Scott.

11. otis

otis New Member

I AGREE WTH MR T AND KEVIN GO CHEAP AND FOR SURE NOT BIGGER. MY FIRST TURNED OUT LIKE ROADKILL BUT I LEARNT ALOT.GOOD LUCK

12. i agree to cheap for your first 10 or less if u are better then i was

13. SQUIBBEY

SQUIBBEY MOREHOUSE, VOL. FIREMEN ADK.MT OF N.Y

good price nice form i would use this for the first .vandykes is good to i think they have some stuff on sale now to