1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

DAWN soap

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by JE, Dec 21, 2008.

1. JE

JE Well-Known Member

I am from the UK, and trying to work out a UK equivalent to Dawn soap . Going through the archives I have am guessing it is a powder ? is it a powder used for washing cloths ? or something else ?
    Any clues appreciated.

2. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

No it's not a powder. its a botttled dish soap. if you can't find it check ebay. it's pretty much a must have in any shop especially if your going to wash your hides before you flesh or there after.

3. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, I have just checked e-bay, £14 UK pounds to get a 12.8 oz (£2 uk pounds) bottle shipped !! :eek:
    I will keep looking. But at least I know I can get it.

4. You should have some liquid dish shoap that will work in your stores. You dont have to have DAWN, there are other I used when I lived in Europe.

5. JE

JE Well-Known Member

I have contacted Proctor and Gamble to see if Dawn has the same ingredients as our UK Fairy liquid (don't laugh) , I doubt I will get a reply today but will keep you posted.
    I have a feeling they will be very similar if not identical.
    Thanks again

6. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

JE..look for a dish soap that claims to have great grease cutting abilities, thats dawns only claim to fame. I would never wash mammel skins in it as the pH is much to high. There are safer alternatives designed for that purpose such as Kemel4.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

JE, Bill's correct. Dawn was simply the first DETERGENT that effectively cut grease. Any liquid SOAP will do the same thing and the name brand isn't a big concern. In the taxidermy industry, Dawn has become the buzz word's that similar to trade names like cellophane and xerox which were also once trademarked names.

8. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Read your bottle labels, the active ingredient of Dawn is ammonium chloride. When you look down a grocery aisle here in the states, you'll see rows of dish detergents. You "might" find one here and there that the formulation isn't based around ammonium chloride.

http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/AM/ammonium_chloride.html

9. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Member

Is dawn the name for the old octagon dish soap? Just curious

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

No. Octagon is soap, Dawn is detergent.

11. wow i am sure someone on here could send u some it is so cheap

12. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Careful here now..

Octagon does indeed market a dish detergent. Not to be confused with octagon soap (the solid bars)..The dish liquid labeled "Octagon Crystal White" is a detergent.

http://buyitbythecase.com/product_info.php?products_id=153

Doubtful if they are the same, Octagon is manufactured by Colgate-Palmolive while Dawn is a Proctor and Gamble product...

as far as finding a dish detergent similar to Dawn, look for one with the following ingredients listed:

Ingredients: Water (CAS# 7732-18-5), sodium alkyl sulfate (CAS# 68585-47-7), SD alcohol (CAS# 64-17-5), sodium alkyl ethoxylate sulfate
    (CAS# 68585-34-2), alkyl dimethyl amine oxide (CAS# 70592-80-2)

13. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

Bill is right on the money. Don't put dawn on anything with hair. It tends to cause a shrinking effect on the skin and makes it hard to stretch. I now use a horse shampoo instead. Kemal4 is ofcourse a good product as well.

14. thanks badgerland i am going to try that

15. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Here is a list if Dawn ingredients that I have manged to find on web, ( I do not have a bottle to read ) I think these were from a year ago. Please correct it if it is wrong.

other ingredients are confidential: ( I find this strange ) :-X
    water, sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium pareth-23, sulfate C-12-14-16, dimethyl amine oxide, SD alcohol, undeceth-9, propylene glycol, cyclohexandiamine, polyacetate, protease, fragrance, FD&C blue, no phosphate ...

Only 5 ingredients match our ( UK ) top brand, The US/UK must use different chemicals to each other. I think my best bet will be to locate a source of Dawn from the US at NORMAL postage rates, ( any offers ? ) ::) I have paypal if this is any good.

16. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Pick one out and try it...I'm sure that greasy dishes in the UK are no different than in the US...

Go to a good ribs joint or steakhouse and find out what they use in the kitchen..

I've never used Dawn to degrease..I've always used Palmolive, works fine for me..
    What are you de-greasing?

17. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Fish, ( for now ) I think our stuff will work, but it is a big help knowing from the word go that Dawn is tried and tested on fish by the guys on here.
    Thanks for all the feedback on this though.

18. solway

solway New Member

FAIRY LIQUID . used it on birds for years it gets it clean and does a good job on the grease.ive used it on mammals too and never had any problems. ive even tried head and shoulders shampoo for greasy hair on a few foxes and they turned out great .to be honest i never thought about ph levels when i was using it . i use white tan for mammals from snowdonia taxidermy suppliers in wales and dp on birds. i think white tan works on fish as well . they also sell degreasers for fish taxidermy i think its pretty cheap.http://www.snowdoniasupplies.co.uk/

19. JE

JE Well-Known Member

I knew about Snowdonia thanks solway , and thanks every one for input on this.