1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Dark Side to the Taxidermy Net

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Dec 21, 2008.

1. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Yep, If you don't want to read the question, don't open the thread. And maybe Ken should open an additional spot for those who are way too good to be bothered with simple questions. Or you can only post in it if you have over 500 posts. Yeah George, why don't you just start your own website where only experts and people with a wealth of knowledge about taxidermy can talk back and forth to each other. I'm sure you will have a great time.

2. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

Taxidermy.net does not have a dark side. Well designed, well moderated and I like it. It reaches and influences more people than all the associations put togather.

3. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Let's start critiquing the critiquers when they're way off, that should add some excitement to this forum.. Good post George!!

4. Good post,George...I agree with how frustrating seeing the same posts with the same questions can be....as a newbie....i read thru every post with a title pertaining to anything relevant to what I am either working on at the moment or will be in the future. Only to be annoyed at seeing the same nonsense,over and over. But I have to read the post anyway....in case it had something important. Anyway..that's just how it is....good posts,bad posts......a lot of wasted time...and some truly valuable tips.....the only thing that bothers me about posts about mounts...if they ask for a critique....give a CRITIQUE.....state the problems with the mount in a professional manner and point a person in a right direction to improve...not "back the truck up again".....if people want to take the time to help,then help....don't just be a smart-a$$. Some people actually know the mount is bad and want an honest answer on how to be better....it is true that it is as bad lying and saying it looks "great"......that isn't helping,either.....I wonder if at a competition the judges walk around saying completely insulting things to people about their mounts...or do they do a professional job......point out the flaws and judge accordingly.....JMHO.....Happy Holidays,Mike.

5. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

I think that an awful lot of you missed the point of this post. Or maybe I did. What possible benefit does a person recieve by being told he has a great mount when it is actually a POS? He thinks then he is on the right track when it couldnt be much worse. So he stumbles along fat & happy with his work & all he is doing is hurting himself.
    Another point, newbies spend a couple months here & start giving advice when they should be keeping their mouths shut & try to learn. 3-4 months reading on here doesnt make you a taxidermist only time & experience can do that. So the poor advice keeps flowing, people get an inflated view of their talent & the substandard work keeps flowing. Its not all bad though..helps keep me a step up on the competition. Its not a matter of being elite or an icon its a genuine desire to IMPROVE the overall caliber of work. A rising tide does lift all ships.

6. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Well I got a good laugh out of this thread....George you knew better than to start it! ;D
    But I agree with you and Bill...I've been doing taxidermy over 10 years and I very seldom give advice, because I still question myself to often.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

You have to remember George is voicing his opinion, and in no way should it deter anyone from using this forum.I see Georges point, and I don`t even click on posts like"check out my 1st squirrel".The reason I dont is because it probably looks like my first squirrel. I would probably give more advice on here myself except that I cant type and my mind goes a mile a minute. Any and ALL advice given on here and any where for that matter should always be taken with a grain of salt. Myself, I love this forum! 8)

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Trying to turn this around might work on lesser souls, but some claim I don't have one anyway. It just ain't gonna work and it was a sad attempt if that's what you're trying. So I'll just take you in turns.

Redwolf, that mount is hideous. I don't care if it was done by a blind paraplegic, the beauty of that animal has been destroyed and to see it as anything less than a poor caricature of the real thing is just plain sad. Perhaps military service should be required of everyone it that's the only way the truth can be stated without being challenged. This nation had become politically correct where you can't tell the king that he doesn't have any clothes on. That's just as sad as the media brainwashing the nation to elect a president who has absolutely no government service experience. I don't play that game and I hope that I never deviate from speaking the truth -even if it hurts some tender psyche. Those that use that as an excuse just gutless in my opinion. I was thrown out of dozens of shops and cursed by many taxidermists as a kid for asking questions. All it did was stoke the fire inside me to learn in spite of them. A philosopher by the name of Rabutin once wrote: "Absence is to love what wind is to fire. It extinguishes the small and kindles the big." That's a lot like criticism and learning. Don't blow smoke if you're scared of the fire.

Monte, the English language is my refuge. I understand it quite well and if you didn't write what you intended to say, it's not my problem with comprehension. I spoke of physiological and anatomical anomalies that could not and would not exist in nature. Look at Redwolf's squirrel with no feet, brown eyes, cornflake ears, a gap in front of the eye, a spiral tail, and then tell me just how lovely that mount is. You'll have to do it since it's your heart that seem to be bleeding, but I'm not even going to try.

Old Boar, you didn't read my post, did you? I said that I'm no longer going to say I'm an "average" taxidermist simply because the fault line of being "average" has fallen well below what any medium should ever be. Anyone can just hang out a shingle and say he's a "taxidermist". There'll always be some price shopper or cheap skate who'll use this guy until he finds out that he's giving his time and his money away and then close his doors, often at the chagrin of customers who've already entrusted him with their mounts and their money. There's no longer any personal ethics involved in many of these fly-by-night enterprises. What you describe in the quality of your own work is the normal progression that we all SHOULD go through (though each of us probably has an example of someone whose work has looked like crap for the last 20 yeas ). That's not what this issue is about. AS I'VE SAID dozens of times before, I'm not blowing roses up anyone's ass. Why would YOU feel an obligation to be different from the situations that all of us encounter in the real world. I'm no more "breaking down" someone's abilities than you're simply lying to them to make the feel better. Show me ONE Marine that says he'd have rather served in the Coast Guard because basic training was phychologically damagine to his ego. If you don't have the drive, then those people NEED to be weeded out before they hurt others. Where's you self-gratifying concern for this person's customer who's just had his most prized trophy turned into trash can art. Why aren't you showing some concern for that guy who's likely keeping you in business instead of coddling ineptitude?

Don, you too, have missed the point. It's NOT ABOUT SALT. It's about industriousness and researching available resourses before you type the same simple assed question that has been asked dozens of times in the last month alone. Why do you cater to such laziness? As bad as the current search engine on this site is, wouldn't you REALLY think that before you put your name to a question, you'd be able to quantify it with a little research prior to typing.

Duxdog, I must've struck really close to home for you. What YOU fail to recognize is that all of these "simple" questions HAVE BEEN ASKED AND ANSWERED DOZENS OF TIMES BEFORE. Just like one last week where I told the guy to check the archives first, he got all ignorant with your same logic. "If you didn't want to answer, avoid the question." OH??? And what about the other 15 times I typed the same answer to the same dumbass question before? Doesn't that count for anything? It's also a prime example allowing him to get someone with little or no experience to give him an incorrect answer if I DON'T TELL HIM. Now the ball is in your court. Let's say Mr. Nimrod asks a question that's been on here a hundred times before. Cletis is 14 years old and never mounted a squirrel, but he gives Nimrod an incorrect answer. The real answer is extensive and detailed and you've already typed it out twice in the last month. OK Duxdog, the ball is in your court. Now just go ahead and tell me exactly what you're going to do. Are you just going to avoid answering since it's "not your problem"? Are you going to research your answer, find the thread, and then copy and paste it? Or are you going to tell him to go to the SEARCH block? Now before you get stupid and answer, remember, Nimrod has a delicate personality and you are afraid of insulting him. Be careful in which answer you make since none of them is likely immune to that reaction.

Mike, I don't think I've ever been an ass in assessing what I see in a mount that I critique. Don't misread that, now. I give an honest critique and some bleeding heart comes on here and pumps the guy up that I'm just being an ass, TRUST ME, I springload into being an ass. Many people asking for critiques don't want you to point out what's wrong, they want you to tell them what's great and wonderful. Even some come on here to give us a showcase of their fantastic quality and that's an open invitation for me to be an ass. I despise pompousness.

And before any of you try to jump on, I KNOW I'm always answering questions or making comments. That makes me an easy target, but I KNOW THAT. I take my lumps like anyone else when I'm wrong (I was only wrong twice and both times I was right but thought I'd been wrong then.) You can't insult me because I know what I'm doing and where I'm at. That pisses some of you off because if I can't and won't be insulted, it takes away any chance of reprisal. Sorry.

Sadly, I continue to see that there are still bleeding hearts among us that are doing this industry absolutely not one whit of good by rationalizing and pampering incompetence. Gladly, I see there are those who retain a common sense work ethic that feel as I do about this. Them that can; do. Them that can; whine about it.

9. Moosabec Taxidermy

Moosabec Taxidermy New Member

Well folks, there you have it, the rebuttal we've all been waiting for, lol, lol, lol...

10. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Let me start off by saying thank you for being honest George. I knew you would be.
    That was mounted by an 11 year old. If you had seen that thread and posted what you just said, that 11 year old most likely would of been crushed, and because of the way you put it he may give up on it all together.
    I can see where critiquing a mount is a good thing, as long as it was done in good taste.
    I'm not saying to baby the person asking for a critique, all I'm saying is we should do it in a positive, constructive way.

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I see all your points to a varying degree George. I honestly like nothing better than to post a mount & have people find something wrong with it, it makes you step up your game. The harshest critisism I have ever recieved was from Drew (4000fps) I wanted to bitch slap him in the manner he did it at first, but he was right & the way he came across made me take a very hard look at symetry. If it had been sugar coated then I would have let it pass....but i'm the kinda person that mentally, I don't need hugs, I need a swift kick in the ass. Through our "battles" Drew & I became friends & hopefully in January I'll be flying up to spend a few days with him. I guess assholes hang together ;) ;D LOL

It does strike me how some people go about things though. I do DP & stop rot a lot of my smaller whitetail hides. I have the money in the bank & the return business to prove it does work when done right....BUT, all my elk, Symitar, Nyala & other big game animals are proudly tanned by a profesional tanner. I charge accordingly to cover all that. I would do my own tanning but i'm not R.J. Simington, that suckers like the Energizer Battery Bunny!!

I also do my capes according to area. I had hunters from Nevada recently fly down here to hunt & I would not ever even consider DP'ing & stop rotting their whitetail due to the climate they will keep them in. It all comes from years of experience it's just some give advice "through experience" and others give advice on "hear say experience" The one that makes me either laugh or get angry the most is when experienced Taxidermists get on here & tell beginners that there is no need for the powder "activator" when bleaching skulls. They tell them any white powder (baking soda. etc.) will suffice or just use the cream straight....what the hell do they think it's called an "activator" for??? Some people will never get it!

12. cht

cht Active Member

I didn't even know there was a dark side to the Taxidermy Net. LOL

13. jim tucker

jim tucker Well-Known Member

This FORUM is not any different than a room of 10 taxidermists sitting together talking.

Perfect example. One time it was suggested that our state association compile an "official" FIELD CARE GUIDE." Great idea in theory right? I brought up the fact that "it will not work". "Why not" said some at the meeting. I asked the Board member across from me "How do you tell people to save fish for the taxidermist" He said "wrap it in a wet towel" and freeze it. I replied that I don't want my fish wrapped in wet towels when they come in. He got all red and angry and the whole room erupted with people extolling the virtues of THEIR field care methods. If we can't agree in a room of 20 how can you expect it with over 1000??

That's why their will be no standard. There is not an organization in the nation that has enough "gravitas" to set a STANDARD.

If GOD is to be the standard we will all fall very short. So GOD cannot be the standard. GOD can be the ASPIRATION.

Secondly, I feel much better handling DELICATE or RARE skins myself rather than send it to a tannery. Of course I send extra LARGE things I wouldn't tackle here but a BLACK BEAR or a Dall Sheep?? I have not had a cape or skin be ruined since my first couple deer capes I tried. There are some good tanneries but I prefer to do the work my self rather than send it away when possible.

I mix my own mache as well. A monkey can do it. That way I NEVER run out or not have enough. The QC is always perfect and mixed exactly how I PREFER, in the amounts I need. Takes exactly....uhm...a minute!?!?!

I do agree however that NICE MOUNT is spoken WAY too much on this forum.....Heck even at competition these days we have the "everybody wins" attitude. I HATE it but I am constantly "out voted" by popular opinion. I have quit commenting in those "check my mount out" threads. I have learned "if you can't say something good"....well you know the rest.

14. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

I read through most of this...I can see where your coming from George, but there are quite a few grey areas. I'm 24--a young gun, but I can answer just about any question you may have on fish taxidermy. Should I sit on my hands until I'm 60 ?

As far as the rose blowing on pictures, I will take some of the blame for it. When I started The week in fish pictures in 2006, I made it rule not to critique. I did this to avoid drive by sarcastic remarks and encourage everyone to post picks, whatever level they may be at. Maybe this set a standard. If someone wants a detailed critique, they should ask for it. If you feel they need a critique they didn't ask for, pm them with your thoughts and then ask them if you can post it on the forum to teach other with there mistakes. I would think this is the most professional way to handle it.

15. I myself agree with George...I consider myself a newbie in alot of aspects as i do this as a hobby and not a business (yet)...so I do not take HUGE chances as George stated when i aquire an elk hide/cape or exotic animal hide/cape to tan it myself...i save that for the smaller more accessible animals such as deer and porcupines coyotes and the like that can be purchased inexpensively and if you mess it up its not a great financial loss....I myself SEARCH the forums for multiple experiences both good and bad with things i want to try to try and learn from the mistakes of others. If more "newbies" would quit being lazy and read they just might learn something...and also remember there is no such thing as a dumb question...just dumb answers.

16. George...I was talking mostly about comments like Aaron stated...the "drive-by" sarcasm. Without explanation or corrective criticism it's worthless....a cheap shot at making fun of something. I did NOT, by any means, imply that you do that....I should have made that clearer. You help more than hurt,George......and good for you that you know when to take the gloves off.......I see nothing wrong with that at all!! Some people just BEG to get their a$$es handed to them.....keep up the good work !! The only point I was trying to get across....if you want to help somebody........HELP them be better..(and again,this is for everyone)......be honest,brutally if need be,but in a way that makes people learn and grow. I was told as a kid....."There is no such thing as a stupid question..."That still holds true......can't say the same about there not being stupid people,though..... ::) ::)Mike. ;)

17. coues_deer

coues_deer New Member

USA
    George - Thanks for the posting, I couldn't agree with you more. What used to be a forum for professionals has turned into a beginners "how to forum" even to the point of lazy folks like you say. Maybe this forum needs to be split into professionals and beginners. If there is such a distinction any more..... I went a a Small Business Association meeting the other day and got a rude awakening. In the finance world, taxidermy is not even considered a business! Sucks when you put your whole life into it. Maybe I am just old and disgusted with where our profession has gone. I don't see a doctors/lawyers/brick layers how to forum?

Just adding to the VENT!

18. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

Well,, we could go back to the old forums where contant argueing and rampant name calling were the norm.... :D But, for those of you who are complaining about the how tos and instructional topics,,,,have you learned anything in those, or do you already know all????? Or would you just rather have nothing but the top dermists debating earliners??? ;D I only wish this site had been around when I started Taxidermy!! A lot of the knowledge we have has been given to us by someone in the past maybe not on a forum but none the less, it has been info shared with you...I see nothing wrong in wanting to give back a little- becuase the better we all get the higher in status our industry goes very simple....I dont and wont whine about repetitive topics and or questions becuase in MY world there is much more important things to whine over....Im not going to slam Newbies becuase in the grand scheme of things we are all Newbies....And the newbies are the fresh blood of our industry, and this sight is the new direction of the industry. I for one appluad it all!!!!

19. catman

catman Active Member

I will try to help someone if they pm me and aks how I would do it, but I gotta tell ya when Lord Rusty started ripping Jim B.'s leopard I just about fell out of my chair. I know John has been around a long time, but there is no way in heck anyone could convince me that his overall knowledge of anatomy and procedure surpasses Jim's. This to me was a prime example of "big head small body" syndrome. Oh, those were John's words desribing babies.

20. Moosabec Taxidermy

Moosabec Taxidermy New Member

Well, well, RDA, I was wondering when you'd show up, lol. You get my applaud... Very well presented and right to the point, and my feelings exactly! And I especially liked what Jim Tucker wrote, God cannot be the standard because none of us could ever come close to what God can do, but God can be the aspiration for us to try to come close to what He originally created... I like that...