1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Dark Side to the Taxidermy Net

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Moosabec Taxidermy

Moosabec Taxidermy New Member

I hear ya catman, but just know when the big guys fall they fall harder than we do because they fall from a higher distance, and greater is their fall. Few even care when we mess up, BUT when they do everybody notices....

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

That's why i'm gonna stay a piss ant Taxidermist all my life, I tend to "stumble" a hell of alot & don't want to have far to fall ;) :D

3. chongo

chongo Member

Maybe this has nuthin' to do with anything, but this is a typical public forum, and what you make of the culture of this forum is also found on nearly all other forums imaginable. Doesn't make it right, but there aren't many other options. It is an internet society where people can freely (maybe too freely) and easily communicate with little or no accountability. People can make friends, or fight and kiss and make up, all within a days work and all at arms length. I have witnessed "Georges", "Way to go- good jobs!", drive by critiques, grizzled veterans complaining about newbies, stupid newbie questions, newbies giving advice to newer-bies, "Use the damn Search function!" and novelists who loved to write long posts just to stir crap up and hijack other posts. Whether its here, or a wargaming forum, or a movie script writing forum, or a I Love Skynard forum or whatever. As a resource, this is an excellent place, and even mossbacks here have said they wish they had this for help back in the day. That far outweighs the people-being-people part of it, which can be very irritating.

4. Moosabec Taxidermy

Moosabec Taxidermy New Member

Michael p, I respect your attitude, and with an attitude like that you will go far...

5. ....he just doenst realize he IS one of the big guys! ;)

7. RDA

RDA Active Member

Thats NOT what the Little Mexican said!!! BUUUUWWAAAHAHAHHAHH HA HA OOOEEEIIII just kiddin MP... ;D ;D ;D

8. Ha, saw that one comming.... he he he

9. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

:LMAO Aubrey, i didnt see where the kid told you to go screw yourself, i woulda loved to seen the look on your face when you realized it was a kid though, Russ ;D

10. Manny

Manny New Member

I too will stay a pisant, and not worry about someone with less expierience giving someone with even less expierience an opinion. LOL
    A Dark Side to the Taxidermy Net ? I think Not !
    A dark bitter man ? I think so ::)

11. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Yeah, I will try and speak for us bottom feeders and say we'll try not to miss step and irritate you guys up on the top too much.

12. Damn George I thought you were a Marine form the first time I read one of your posts. Now I know you are Semper Fi. 1966-1970

13. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

he was NOT a marine, LOL he was however in the air force, and served OUR country just like any other branch of the service.

14. Silvereagle34

Silvereagle34 Member

I am a newbie. I am gettiing ready to mount my first animal, a whitetail. I do a lot of reading and learning on here and appreciate all the help the experts give on this site. I agree with George. This site is like life, some people are dumb and some are dumber. Stupid questions get asked everyday (we all have our blonde moments). I realize that answering questions may take a lot of your valuable time, but sometimes you may not realize that how valuable to that "newbie" your answer was. Kinda like putting out a fire. You may have told someone how to put it out a thousand times, but if they fail to find the info. and their house is on fire, they need to know now.
    I am learning new things on here all the time. Yes, my resources are limited to trying to figure out and learn the "hard" way. That is why I am learning on my own animals that either I harvest or friends give me to experiment on. When I feel I am competant enough, only then will I ever consider myself worthy of the title Taxidermist and start to charge for my services. It is an expensive hobby but I am having fun with it. I hope to get good toys someday to help in the process, but you have to start somewhere. Lessons learned the hard way are not easily forgotten and makes you appreciate all the help and new technology.
    I enjoy reading George, MichaelP, and some of the other regular posters on here. When I do mount that first animal, I will be honored to have them tell me what I did wrong. I will wear their words like a "red badge of courage". I believe in calling a spade a spade. I don't want sugar coating, just their honest opinion.

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Manny, you know for a little bit, you could piss me off. You won't like me very well if you do that. There's nothing "bitter" in my comments. If pointing out incompetents makes a person bitter, then it would seem the world would be a much better place if more people were "bitter". I'm 63 years old and the better part of my life is behind me. I have nothing else to prove and if I had any regrets it's from not applying myself better. I don't have any pity parties that I grew up in a primitive time when taxidermy was a closed shop or that I've spent the last 20 years of my professional life "unlearning" the haphazard methods I'd used for the preceding 30, but that damned sure doesn't make me "bitter". Snot noses like you who've had the world handed to you on a plate by my generation simply think that you already know everything to begin with. Well, none of the people who think like you will ever understand that TALENT CAN'T BE TAUGHT. I'm no Bill Yox, no Rick Carter, no Ken Walker and I'm sure it will pass your comprehension, but I really have no desires to be. Competitions are the best thing that happened to the industry, but I get no sense of enjoyment in competing. I LEARN, I ENJOY the comraderie, and I LOVE sharing stories with the people, I DELIGHT in helping others learn if they have a genuine thirst for knowlege, but I also EXPECT them to be diligent and work to find answers that may not agree with the methods I use. I try to teach every student I've ever taught to be better than I am and it disappoints me when they aren't. There's no reason for bad taxidermy work today. Manikins are exquisite, birds have artificial heads and feet, fish are reproductions or have artificial parts, and the resourses and references are without equal in the Internet age. The animals haven't changed but the foundation for mounting them has grown exponentially, and we still have guys like you whining about someone being nasty to them because they dared tell you the truth. That's sad.

16. Manny

Manny New Member

Ok George my condolences, And I agree with you when you say talent cant be taught. And I don't even claim to know everything. I will say this, I know I have TALENT it just has to be brought out from within me, and I know its their. TALENT is a persons will to achieve a goal, in my eyes. I have seen myself get closer and closer to what I want to see in my mounts. And I don't ask for critiques for the reason I already know where my problems are with my mounts.
    #1 I need to learn to use earliners ( There I said it ) Because I myself know I cant achieve the look I desire from Bondo.
    #2 I need to buy a fleshing machine to get my hides thinner.
    #3 And I need to learn how to do a perfect nose interior.
    #4 I will find something wrong with my own mounts every single time.

As for the world handed to me on a plate I THINK NOT! I will say this though. I believe I would of thrown in the towel on taxidermy if this site wasn't around. I would say I'm a product of everyone of you even you. I have read and read old threads and new threads and have found more info for FREE than I could ever order out of a book or watch on dvds. Is it easier in this day and age probably YES.

You are right when you say there is no reason for bad taxidermy today. With all this FREE information you would have to be a dill weed to not gather it up, If taxidermy is where your heart is. But I will say everyone has to start somewhere.

George, Its just the way you say things that rubs me wrong. Their is a way of teaching without downgrading someone. And I'm not whining or thinking I'm being picked on. I say the things I do for the next guy who wont stand up and just run off. You don't know that person, you could be chasing off the next Bill Yox or Rick Carter. And He might not have the balls to speak up. I will take a butt chewing if and only If I have it coming. I respect my elders as long as they to SHOW respect.

And if I haven't pissed you off by now you got thicker skin then most. Because you sure have pissed me off. So I tell you like I see it. Just like you tell it like you see it to people. Hmmmmmm Truth does hurt.

I'm going to be here for a while so the little stabs you make at me I see. And Ill always be their to make them back. ALWAYS !!!

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Manny, you have a lot of promise, but a large fish in a small pond always feels better than he really is. Anyone who says they don't need a critique is either on an ego trip or just flat sadly mistaken. I've seen the highest levels of competition. I've even heard one competitor remark that he wouldn't enter a show because a particular judge wasn't "qualified enough" to judge his piece. That's the pinnacle of ego you're acting like. My very good friend Ken Walker once remarked to me that most taxidermist go to a show taking with them what they figured was the best possible piece they could complete and then to have a judge give them anything less than a blue ribbon was a mind altering event. The good ones spring back, the egotistical ones console themselves that it was the judges fault. (By the way, Ken doesn't use earliners and if I recall, he seems to have done quite well.)

We are alike in one area. I, too, ALWAYS find faults in my mounts, but I know I rationalize others that would be deductions were I competing.

I don't buy into your entreaty to coddle people. Anyone worth their salt won't ever be "driven off". If what I say makes someone choose a different career path, then his (or her) heart wasn't in it to begin with. The PC world of giving everyone a passing grade to stoke their egos isn't working well in public schools and damned well failing int he public and private sector of business. You either drive the bus or ride on it. MY ISSUE is that beginners already know everything - much like you often act. BEGINNERS DON'T. They should soak up information like a sponge and reach for it instead of telling the instructor his teaching methods are the reason he's a loser. Too many of you fragile beginners still don't see yourselves in the big scheme of things. My first work was hideous (my latest isn't that better, but it's still improved to what it once was) and so is the work of most beginners. Nothing in this world wrong with that and YOU have no idea how many of them come to me asking advice. NO ONE has ever been turned away by me without talking the issue through. Manny, it seems you need an ogre to justify your attitude, so I'm your huckleberry. That's fine, but you need to find someone who is TRULY an expert, shut up more often, and listen intently. There are countless ways to skin a cat and you need to be familiar with every one that you can. You will decide which one you like best and the one you use most often, but there MIGHT come a time when one of those other ways would have served you better had you but listened.

And sorry to burst your bubble, but you haven't pissed me off. YET! I like spunk and fire in an individual and that's the ONLY reason I think there's hope for you. And if you think the truth can hurt, wait until someone tells you a lie and you'll see just how wrong that assumption was as well. Now as far as the promises for making "stabs", there you go bringing a knife to a gunfight. I learned from the best and you haven't even met them yet. If you haven't been humbled yet, you will be and the sooner the better if you plan on being here as long as I and a few others have been.

18. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Old Shaver , Good post , you had me laughing. Your correct, along with George. The more taxidermy changes the more it stays the same.

19. I just had a guy drop off a Marco Polo ram. He wants a lifesize mount! Cool!!! I have never done a lifesize mount before so I am hoping for some suggestions. How the hell do you get the horns off of there. I tried boiling them like some guy said once. All it did was turn them a dark color. Now how do I get rid of that? Also, do any of you know where to buy salt? I was thinking of using Krowtan to tan the hide. Seems like there are lots of folks on here that use it so it must be OK. I know George likes JRTS, but he is old and the newer generation uses Krowtan, so it must be better. Or maybe I will just DP it. That might be easier. Right? Also, do I have to get all of the flesh off the hide before I salt it or can I just leave the big chunks of meat on there? I was sure hoping I could just leave the meat on there, I'm not really good at fleshing hides. Maybe I'll get me one of those mini fleshers, some folks like those. I don't know how to turn the ears. Can I just leave them alone and card them really good. One guy said that works for him. I was thinking I might try some hide paste on this mount because it is extra special. I usually don't use it because one guy on here said he has never used it and his mounts look great. He even posted a picture and everyone liked it. I can't wait to get started on this mount. I was thinking of charging him about $500 for the lifesize mount. Is that enough? What do you guys charge for a lifesize sheep mount? I know that is not a lot, but I am just getting started in the business and need to get some customers. Of course, that doesn't include the base. How do I do that? I think I might just take a sheet of plywood and spread some elmers glue on there and sprinkle some dirt on it. That would look good. I'll post some photos when I am done.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

20. Merry Christmas,Bruce.........smart-a$$........that was funny ,though ;)