1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Dark Side to the Taxidermy Net

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Dec 21, 2008.

1. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Well George,If this is the way you interact with people in the REAL world then I doubt you have many friends simply because your people skills SUCK.
    Most likely if I'm reading this right then you live a double life ............a REAL one and a VIRTUAL one.
    I agree you should not lie to people about thier work but there is a line that you cross as to how you tell them.That is if you want to fit in with society.
    I don't blow roses............I tell it how it is......... but in a manner with some class that fits my age and knowledge.
    I'm sure you do the same.That is when you are face to face and not on a computer.
    I'm pretty certain you don't go around telling strangers they are IDIOTS and STUPID............Or do you?.............

2. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

Wow, This has been by far one of the most fun "reads" I have had on here in a long time!!!!!!!!!!! One last question though. Where do I find the "large quantities of salt" that I need. ::) ;D ::) ;D ;)

3. This guy has a large pile, he is looking a place to put it.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,121514.0.html

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Only if the stranger is a stupid idiot and if he is, I certainly don't hide my appraisal just to "play nice". I don't practice nor believe in political correctness and what I say HERE is exactly the way I'd say it to someone's face. OH, now you want to talk "inflection"??? Well, since there's no way to relate inflection in the typed vernacular, then SOME OF YOU tend to think that replaces "class" with "crass". Nope, has nothing to do with "class". You've decided on your own what the inflection was and you react mindlessly without bothering to think that PERHAPS the problem lies in your perception rather than the words typed out. Did you ever play varsity sports? Were you ever in the military? Probably already know the answers to those questions but suffice it to say that the answers I got in those venues are life-long, everlastingly emblazoned in my brain. They no longer take a conscious thought process because they're hard wired into my being. "Classy IDIOTS" are everywhere. I know how to set a formal table and which way the folds go in a cummerbund. I know how to judge wine and hold a brandy snifter. I know the difference between an aperitif and an appetiser. I know when to wear white and when to wear black and I know that the proper response to "How do you do" is "How do you do" and not "Fine, how are you." Class is simply a game people play just so they can look down their noses at others. You be classy, I'll just remain honest. At least I don't have to remember where I am when I am.

5. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

Don't know if your response was in fun. Mine was. Not meant as a response on anyones position. I have a definite opinion but that is where it will stay. "MY OPINION"

6. jvbj01

jvbj01 New Member

I have been watching this thread for awhile and it has been quite interesting. It has evolved and maybe I am getting away from the original post. I think that George does talk down to people quite often. I also think that if he does talk that way to people face to face, he probably has had his @$$ handed to him a few times in his life. The bottom line is that we are pretty much all adults. If you don't want to be disrespected, do not disrespect others.

I know how this post will be taken by a few, but I don't think that I am the only one who feels this way.

Merry Christmas!!!!

7. Mike_Pa

Mike_Pa New Member

Aperitif ????? I thought they lived on Mars....LOL ;D ;D

8. Mike_Pa

Mike_Pa New Member

aperitif ....Lmao !!! Ya know Im just yanking your chain!!...LOL ! Hope ya had a Good un!! Mike

9. George

jbvj, then that just makes you one of those I addressed. Do YOU know me? Have you ever MET me? Have you ever PM'd me? Have you ever spoken to me on the phone? Then as we both know those answers are in the negative, your ASSumption is simply that. It's not my fault you walk around with a chip on your shoulder looking to read into my words what's not there. 9 Pointer is on here sometimes. So is Sandy. So is Ken Walker, Bill Yox, Rick Carter, Ken Edwards, R.J. Simington, Old Fart, Richard Chrisoforo, Jean Lavalee, Russ, Michael P., Becky, Lisa, and dozens of others who aren't in your shoes about just ASSuming. Tom King likes to stoke some of you guys into playing me to be the ogre, and if you're dumb enough to fall for it, so be it. I help ANYONE, ANYTIME with no reservations as long as they are sincere. I go out of my way with beginners and when I KNOW an individual is a beginner, I'm always less poignant in my remarks. You want to show your testosterone, I'm not your guy. Gave that up years ago.

10. jvbj01

jvbj01 New Member

George,
    Although I do not post as much as others, I have been a lurker for quite sometime. Maybe I am offbase and assuming some things, but I don't thinks I am too far off.

To answer your questions, no I do not know you. Now answer this question. Do you know all of the people that you put down for asking a question which you deem "stupid". I would guess that the answer is negative. You do not know all of those who you have put down for not being as "smart" as you or asking the right question. All I am saying is you come across as an @$$ when you slam these people.

As far as you saying that I am walking around with a chip on my shoulder, it is you that is ASSuming things. When you throw the names out there, I am not impressed. I am sure these people are people with great reputations, but I don't think I have read many posts where they talk down to people like you do. BG comes up with some crazy stuff, but at least he doesn't disrespect people on this board.

One last thing. I never questioned you helping out people. You obviously have a wealth of knowledge in this business and in life. When you are in the helping mode, your posts are very informative.

Have a good night,
    JVBJ01

11. jvbj01

jvbj01 New Member

Oldshaver,
    You are talking about "Trophy Kids". They have to have a trophy at the end of the season for just participating. When we were growing up, it was an age when you earned the trophy. Now, every kid gets a trophy for just participating.

12. TD

No George...........It's more like Dr Jekle and Mr. Hide............And you are the one that created the image ................not me..............I don't Stoke anyone.................I just tell it how I see it...........

13. Yeah, the real winner is the guy who runs the trophy store. The guy who makes my name plates will laugh and tell you that his business is recession proof, because the parks and rec will make sure the kids get their trophies.

14. TD

OS............I agree that you don't tell a kid he's good when he's not.You should not Lie to the kid.What you do is tell the kid what to do to be good but would you tell that kid that he sux and will never amount to beans?............There is a line there that you should not cross............between constructive and destructive...........Its common since........

15. richjb01

richjb01 New Member

IL
    I am a newbie and a hopeful future dermist. I would just like to say, to you all, that everything that you all have to say to us newbies, is read and studied more then you know. I believe, that even the ones that get 'upset' with some replies, learn something from all of them - the positives, negatives, and everything in between. I will be starting on my first WT shoulder mount soon and I have every intention of posting a pic, for a critique and while it is still wet. I am hopeful, that some of you will give me your honest assessments. Some of you want to point out the positives, some positives and negatives, and others, just the negatives. I believe that it depends on the individual as what kind of feedback that they would like. I like and appreciate all feedback, but by my posting it in the first place, I am mainly looking for all of the negatives. I like the positive re-inforcements, don't get me wrong, but I want to know the things that really stick out as being wrong so that I can correct them. You are all very knowledgeable and have trained eyes on the things to look for. I have read through enough posts/replies to know that there is a lot of things on a mount that I have not paid enough attention to and will need to really study my reference materials. Even if you don't want to post a reply for all to see, I hope that you are willing to at least PM me with your opinions and if you think that I am so far off that there is no hope for me as a dermist, I want you to tell me that also. Those of us that really want to learn and succeed in the art of taxidermy, appreciate all of your posts/replies. I can't and wont speak for anyone else, but I personally want to see the kinds of responses that George is willing to give on anything that I post on here. If I ever say or do anything, or you think that I have stepped out of bounds, please PM me, call me 2176531601, email me [email protected], or create a post directed to me. I haven't been able to meet any of you in person, but I have talked to several of you by phone, emails, and/or PMs and I hope to get to know as many of you as possible. This is a great site and you are all a bunch of great people. There are a lot of people on here, with a lot of different opinions or methods, and all are valuable in there own way. I just wanted to give one 'newbies' perspective on things. Take care, thanks for listening, and I hope that you all had a very Merry Christmas. BTW, I am not taking any sides on this and when I do post my pic, I will state 'all responses welcome to my post. take no prisoner' so that you know that I don't mind. Maybe others should do something similar in their posts, just to set the record straight on what they would like to hear. I for one, like don't like to beat around the bush and want to be told straight up, but others do not and don't take criticism as well. I'm old fashioned.

Rich

16. George

Tom, you're a facilitator. Don't play that "not me" game. I've seen you at work often enough and you ain't no little lamb in this mess. YOU brought me into several posts when I had not said a single word there. Do I need and go back to pull those posts up to prove my point? I get sick and tired of guys like YOU and this new comer trying to paint me as the bad guy or making unintelligent remarks about "running some people off". I have NEVER, EVER called anyone stupid for posting anything. I may have said it was a dumb question or the comment was ignorant or stupid, but NEVER called anyone stupid for asking. READ THAT CAREFULLY. Now I've called people stupid or dumb or ignorant when they try to lamely strike back with some weak rationalization or insult, but NEVER on an initial answer. And I apologize if you weren't listening to me when I used those names. I WAS NOT NAME DROPPING. I was implying that those people KNOW ME PERSONALLY and can tell you that the way I TYPE ANSWERS HERE is EXACTLY THE WAY I'D SPEAK ANSWERS TO YOU PERSONALLY. Some of you guys could not have possibly passed English composition in school. You just jump at assumptions. YOU have proven my point much better than my initial words ever could. You've enabled the ones it was directed towards to find a hero who'd justify their actions. THIS is the dark side I spoke of and until the people in this industry take enough pride in themselves and establish a loose knit set of business principles and standards for final products, we'll never be treated as a real profession. Even car dealers no longer "deal". We are just like any other yard sale or flea market where all our prices are negotiable. Everyone's looking for a "cheaper" way to do things or a "faster" way. Very few out there are ever thinking about a BETTER way.

17. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

I don't have time to wade through 8 pages of posts...I read the first 2 pages when the thread was new...but not the following ones...so please forgive me for adding my 2 cents to this discussion without reading all that's been said before.

Yes, there is a dark side to this site. It's literally the blind leading the blind sometimes. So it's the blind leading the blind in the dark! LOL But when someone comes along with a flash light, you can darn well bet your biscuits I'm going to look at what they're shining the light on, ask them how their flashlight works, and if they have to hold their tongue a certain way to get it to work right!! :D If it weren’t for this site, a lot of the time I’d be stumbling around in the dark, tripping on things.

There are folks here who I trust. Some members have been doing this, living, breathing, working in taxidermy, and have completed thousands of pieces. Over time, I’ve come to realize who I trust, and who’s full of horse fudge. Just because someone is new doesn’t mean I automatically discount their advice/techniques. Just because someone’s been around forever doesn’t mean I trust them fully either. Each member has to choose for themselves who they trust for what situation. I wouldn’t ask Jknuth for advice about how to set bobcat ears. I also wouldn’t ask Michael P how to set fish eyes. Yes, they could both probably give me advice…but I realize that those categories aren’t their particular fortes.

It takes time to build a knowledge base about who to trust and who’s blowing roses. I've seen obviously new folks come in here and be all sorts of stubborn & rude. It doesn't take long for folks to call them to the carpet and teach them some manners. It wasn't ever anything personal. This is the freakin’ internet. I could be a three-toed sloth for all y’all know. We don't know each other from Adam & Eve in most cases. Yes, there are regulars. Newbies come & go. Some stick around long enough to become well known. However, unless folks are total jerks, they are tolerated, encouraged, and welcomed.

If I ask for a critique, I expect it to be honest, forthright, and polite. That's what I give. It's what I want back. No roses up my arse...they have thorns and are (I can't resist) a pain in the ass to pull out. :D LOL

My point is...if you come here...and you're new...take everything with a grain of salt. Take the time to research the topics you want to learn. Just because I say Auto-tanners work great, don’t go spending $1600 on one! Take the time to lay your hands on a cape/fish/bird/whatever. Get the feel of things. Please don’t lie or screw anyone over. If you don't know what the hell you're talking about, shut up. I remember when I was newer. I was all sorts of excited about this & that & three other things! I told folks things that I had learned. It was true advice. In some cases it was dead wrong advice! My actual knowledge…hands on experience…was very limited. That is part of why I’ve stopped giving so much advice. Yeah…I could give my 2 cents on every thread regarding reusing salt, what to charge for XYZ mount, or what’s wrong with ZYX mounts ears/eyes/hair pattern. But until I have a few more years under my belt, I can’t say for certain that I’m not talking out my ass. So I shushed for the most part.

That’s my 2 cents. With them, $5.00 & a coupon, you could maybe get a Big Mac Combo…but those are my 2 pennies. ;)

Oh…and George…I’m still a card carrying member. ;D ;) :) :-*

[​IMG]

18. TD

LOL..........I'm not trying to grab sides OS...........If it seems that way.........my apologies..........I know King George is a good guy.............most everyone knows that ...........even if they just know someone that knows him...........He knew when he started this unnecessary post what would happen before he started typing it...........Guess I'm just a little blunt sometimes myself............But then I know Ole George has skin thick as an elephant or is that a Crocodile lol.............he can take it ..........Merry Xmas George!!!!

19. blkbearklr

blkbearklr Yep I am retired living off my sugar mama!!!

Wow, I have read 9 pages of this, smoke 4 cigarettes and then smoked a fifth one just for good measures.

I am new to the taxidermy world, I did pay and go to a school to learn the basics to get a better grasp on what is supposed to happen.

And my thought process is this.

George you are the man, I like the way you critique and the way you give advice, I believe there has been two or three times I have posted something in here and took what others said and then confirmed it with what you said.

As you can see I too spent time in the military 22 years 3 months and 4 days to be exact so I have tough skin also. So keep the critiques coming my way when I post something or ask a question. I appriciate it.

Thank You
    Joe

A George answer for me about a beaver tail.....

The artificial tail makes it a lot easier, though I've used the real one. To use the real one, split it lengthwise down the middle of the tail underside. Start peeling it open like an orange, but you'll have to use a SHARP scalpel. The trick is getting around the flat edge. Once you do, peel the top side of the tail free. I usually use my fur dressing wheel and shave the tail skin. thin before tanning it. Once tanned, I sew it back up the centerline incision and fill the tail with the hide paste clay (hide paste super saturated with vermiculite). I can squeeze it around to the shape I like and it give me about 2 days to work with it. Once the clay is in, I take a 12 gauge wire and bend it in a "U" that I push into the tail . The "U" needs to be big enough that it opens up to hold the edges of the tail skin flat. Then I use the two ends to secure it to the form. I build the tail base out of the same hide paste clay and sew up the beaver.

20. jvbj01

jvbj01 New Member

There you go again, cutting on people. You want to believe that you are the smartest person on this board and that you have the right to talk down. You probably believe the "King George" tag.

I am saying nothing negative about your knowledge of the Taxidermy Industry. It is your way of talking down to people that could be fixed.