1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sooooo Frustrated!!!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by duck hunter 5769, Dec 21, 2008.

1. duck hunter 5769

duck hunter 5769 Take'em!!!

I really want to be good at taxidermying ducks but at this point i dont know if its worth it maybe some one can help... well i can skin them okay its when the fat needs to come off when i get mad.. i had a mallard i really wanted to do but when i put it on the wheel i put a couple of holes in him. just a little sewing is all. but when i came to washing it, it still looked greasy so i got a heater then i cooked the skin instead of taking the water out of the feathers. so this has made my day really crappy! :-[ i dont know if i want to continue with this

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I hit 'em with the wheel, wash 'em in dawn, hit 'em with the wheel again, and wash 'em again.
    You can toss 'em in white gas if you want to.
    Don't give up. They are fun once you get the hang of it ;)

3. JimL

JimL Member

If it was easy, everybody would do it. It takes alot of practice and ALOT more patience. I've been doing birds for 30 years and still have birds that are very challenging. More than once I've used five feet of thread to sew holes back together. Just last week I popped the head off a Mearn's quail and had to sew it back on. Only you can decide if you want to continue. I just wouldn't let one duck decide it for you.

4. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

I'm just lost on the heater deal ??? ???

5. duck hunter 5769

red wolf, does your wheel ever put holes in them? and how do you dry them cuz i dont think my mom is going to let me use her washer to spin the water out?

6. duck hunter 5769

7. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

Use dawn dish soap to wash the bird really well.You can squirt the soap directly on the inside of the skin, and feathers too if you want. Then Rinse it for a long time, maybe 10 minutes straight--don't just run water over it and think it's rinsed. After you get ALL the soap bubbles out of the skin and feathers, then gently squeeze the water out of the feathers. You can use an old towel to absorb the excess water. I like to put a house fan on my wet bird skin, and then take it off about a half hour later. Use a normal hair blow dryer to blow dry the feathers. Do NOT use a household heater, as you know that way does not work :)
    I like to take an old toothbrush, and fluff the downy feathers while I blow dry the bird. It takes a while, but if you properly cleaned the bird, it will come out nice, clean, and fluffy. Good news--if you dry the whole bird and some feathers are still greasy, you can rewash the bird all over again.
    As for the holes while fleshing, well it happens to all of us. That is just something you have to live with. So don't worry, you will do fine!

8. MR.Ed

MR.Ed New Member

Just put the bird in the dryer. Make sure you clean the lint collector out aftwards and mom will never know... lol J/K
    What I used to do when I started birds was pat the bird dry with a towel first. Then I made my own tumbler out of a garbage bag. I put wood chips and corn cob chunks in it and tossed the bag back and forth. This takes awhile but when you first start and dont have a tumbler... you improvise. Hang in there! you will get better and then can look back at this and laugh. Heck I still remember the first bird I did and was filling her neck with silicone and forgot to sew a whole. White silicone on the neck feathers of a hen woody doesn't come off easy.

9. good advice

10. duck hunter 5769

ha ha ya well this is definitly something ill try..

11. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

duck hunter I WISH I could say no.BUT I can't. I go through a LOT of thread :p
    You will have holes, they happen ;)
    Ask your mom if shew has an old salad spinner. They used to be really popular, but most people just threw them away, or stored them and don't use them any more.
    If she has one put the bird in(if it will fit) feather side out and spin it for a minute or so. It works just as good as the spin cycle in a washer and mom wont get mad ;)
    If you can't get a salad spinner just do as Becky said.
    Trust me birds can be a blast once you get a system going.

BTW What are you using for a bird flesher?

12. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Duck hunter on the drying issue check this out

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,72075.0.html

13. duck hunter 5769

redwolf my dad and i mad a nice wheel to get the fat off its an old motor from an air conditioner that we were going to use at our old house but we never did so he let me use it. we jsut welded a longer shaft on it. then bought a wire wheel and put it on... im not sure if the wire is too coarse. i dont know how to upload photos other wise i would show you.. hmm ill try to figure it out

14. MR.Ed

MR.Ed New Member

If the wire is coarse take a screwdriver or a hard pice of metal and press on it. This will "break" the wires down so they aren't as hard and wont tear as easily.

15. duck hunter 5769

while its spinning??

16. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Yes

17. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

In answer to your last question, yes, while the wheel is spinning. Try this : instead of just putting the bird in mom's dryer, first take a small garbage bag a little bit of tumling media, tie it with a twist tie, then put that bag into another bag and tie it off. Then put the bird in the dryer, on "air fluff", NO HEAT . and set the dryer on 10 minutes. When it's done tumbling in the dryer, remove it from the bags, shake off the excess saw dust and proceed to use a hair dryer. After a short time, your bird plummage will dry nicely and the down feathers will also dry nicely. :)

18. duck hunter 5769

thats a really good idea... ha ha i never thought about that. im going to try and upload some pictures of my wheel

19. duck hunter 5769

my wheel...(i hope this works)

20. duck hunter 5769

sweet it did work... tell me if that wire wheel is close to what you use... i just made it from one of the pictures i saw