1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Freezer or cooler ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by AFTHUNT, Dec 22, 2008.

1. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Well-Known Member

Opinion question.

I'm looking at putting in a walk-in freezer or cooler. The question for all of you that have one, which would you go with if you had to choose just one for now, Freezer or cooler and why.

Also if anyone has built there own how did you do it if i could ask.

Thanks

2. jbnf

jbnf New Member

I would rather have a walk-in cooler. I think I would use it more than a walk in freezer. JMO I have never built one but shouldn't be too difficult.

3. Henry J.

Henry J. New Member

get one that turns down to a cooler and you can turn up a use as a freezer !!!!

4. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Build both. Build one where the door you walk into is the cooler, then continue through that to another door in the back that goes into the freezer. Comes in real handy !

5. fullbite

fullbite New Member

You might could contact a Refrigeration or HVAC guy in your area and find out if they have any used walk in coolers theyd get rid of. A commercial style walk in cooler is basically just some insulated panels that are put together. The compressor goes on the top with the evaporator inside. Restruants replace them all the time and the contractors end up with them and just store them away in a wharehouse.

6. Damien

Damien New Member

ok some one try and help me solve this.
    Do you turn a freezer/AC/Cooler "up" to get it colder?
    or do you turn it "Down" to get the temperature colder?

This is a very important question! And may solve many marital issues I have lol

7. OK, might be a dumb newbie question, and I really dont want to highjack your thread, but...

I know you freeze animals until your ready to flesh, shave, tan or mount... But what do you use a cooler(aka giant fridge) for in taxidermy? Other then keeping your critter clay longer and storing the beer?

Thanks,

Ken

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

I would recommend keeping your chest freezers on hand if that walk-in goes down. I thought about putting one in my new building addition until I saw the electric bill at one of my processors. It would be nice to have one, but I would probably get lazy and put everything in there!(LOL)

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I have one of each...uninstalled...been wanting to get them going for 3 years. I purchased them from Gov't surplus...paid $450 for both.