1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removimg smoke stains from a whitetail shoulder mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by fuzzmeister, Dec 28, 2008.

1. fuzzmeister

fuzzmeister New Member

A fellow asked me the other day if I could remove the smoke stains from a deer mount, I said that I had never encountered a task like that but I would look into the matter and get back to him is there anyone out there that could tell me if there is a product that can do this or what is the best thing to use?

2. sluggunner

sluggunner New Member

I heard of people getting good results from Taxidermist Magic.

3. Shooter

Shooter New Member

I am working on one as we speak...Its 12 years old and in bad shape...Its a shame,it goes 190 in the sticks..had to fabricate some ear hair with pulled cotton and I ended up air brushing the original areas.

4. rccub

rccub Member

i have used a product called "mount brite", i believe i got it from mckenzies.

5. Donna1

Donna1 June 1965 Panama

I have used Oxyclean before with good results. I've used spray on pet wash, too....it smells nice and the fur feels soft. Do a test patch first to see if the mount is going to fall apart. I know a guy that used a garden hose and shampoo....I'm not that brave though.
    You'll never get all the smoke stain out of a mount, just do your best and touch up with an airbrush.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You should know what your talking about before you speak, Taxidermist Magic is not a cleaner, it is a shine product that would work better on your shoes then any mount. A waiste of money.

7. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

I use simple green and water sponge on wipe off towel dry works very well.

8. Donna1

Donna1 June 1965 Panama

Simple Green? I'll try that the next time. ::)

9. Brando24

Brando24 Member

I dont like it ether Mr.T

10. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Me neither, aint much more than furniture polish.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The Taxidermist Magic, I just had an idea, I will try it out on antlers, I got 4 bottles of the stuff just setting on the shelf. This stuff was marketed to sell to your customers to take with them, when they picked their mounts up, a mount maintenance product. I fell for it. But when I tried the first bottle on an old mount, I felt robbed.

12. Has anyone ever used lacquer thinner on smoke stains? I have and it seems to work with a light application. Place it on a cleaning rag, not directly on the mount.

13. paul e

paul e New Member

got me to Mrt
    worthless stuff

14. sluggunner

sluggunner New Member

Ive never used it as a cleaner,so I didnt know that it wasnt anymore useful that furniture polish. I just posted as a suggestion based from feedback that I have recieved.

15. frank

frank New Member

windex, it works great and is something that you alway have on hand.