1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Price for exotic birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by AOTaxi, Dec 29, 2008.

1. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

Had a breeder bitching about price of my work to taxi his beauties when I only charged him $150 for a common pheasant.
    How many others charge more to mount an exotic? I charge at least $50 more for a Reeves, Amhearst or red golden than I do for a common ring neck. Any others do the same?
    AO

2. JBird

JBird Member

$150 for a common ring neck is WAY too much in my opinion - even for a superb specimen - I think the prices of captive birds for taxidermy has inflated way too much - and I've been a large scale bird breeder for the better part of 20 years - I know how much time and work and cost involved to produce a nice bird - but its pretty sad when you see birds being advertised alive on the "live bird" websites and then the same birds from the same breeders on the taxidermy websites at twice the price - half the blame goes to the seller for inflating the costs to the taxidermists - and the other half of the blame goes to the taxidermists who pay it -

On the other hand - you get what you pay for - and I am definately williing to pay more if I trust the person and know I'm getting absolute number one quality - but i'm always suprised what some breeders consider "perfect" compared to what a taxidermist thinks is "perfect" they are more often than not - very different things.

I think there is a fair market value on most the common captive exotics - and its the taxidermists responsibility to educate themselves on that so they don't get over charged - anyone can go online and buy a nice adult red golden, reeves or amherst for $50 each plus about $35 for shipping - to sell them for $150 + is just plane criminal - but I guess who can blame the seller for trying when the buyers are willing to pay that - why do you think our gas got as high as it did -

If you want a good reputation and repeat business and lots of referals - then don't cheat your customers - if you are going to sell them to another breeder for one price - offer them for the same price to a taxidermist -

boy - I never realized I had such an opinion on this subject - really didn't intend to write quite as much as I did -

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

3. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

I edited the post, sorry for not specifing, $ for a mounting an exotic not buying specimans.
    AO

4. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

way to cheap!!!! ;)

5. I agree with Ron, thats way too cheap for a pheasant mount. Just my opinion. Jphn

6. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

If that is way to cheap what are you guys gettin?

7. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

wholesale 170.00 finished injected blah blah,,, and retail is 350.00 ;)

8. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

why ask more for a exotic'?

9. nswiken

nswiken Well-Known Member

I agree with taxos. The process is essentially the same. Yes you have to work with the hood on and Amherst or Golden, but that is part of the mounting process. A Reeves is similar in build and feathering to a ringneck, just more support for the tail. I suppose if the specimens were harder to obtain (costlier) like a mature Monal or some of the peacock pheasants then a higher price might be warranted. Also, if you were asked to do a courtship display or some pose that required more research and reference, then you could certainly justify a higher price for your work.

10. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

a pheasant is a pheasant is a pheasant, I don't care what jungle it came from .. they should all mount more or less the same. The only time I would consider charging more than my standard $300 would be when it was a tragopan, or one of the breeds that have funky wattles that need to be recreated and/or cast. Such things as air sacs on grouse in display mode. Otherwise, they get the same treatment. Size may play a part in pricing, but as far as I know, most pheasant fall into a workable size range, nothing too large or small to deal with.. Once the skin is off, a monal is just a ringneck.. Now although a peafowl is sometimes classified as a pheasant, that train would require additional thought and composition so yes, a price increase would be in order.

To me, it's kinda like charging more for a sea duck vs a regular duck. When infact, IMO a sea duck is easier to flesh and easier to work..
    Or charging more for a flying bird than a stander.... just don't get it.. Grooming is the same if not quicker...

Jon~

11. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I don't charge more for the more common exotic pheasants. They are all about the same as ringnecks as far as the time and material required to do them is concerned.
    Tragopans would be an exception, and Bulwer's wattled pheasants would be as well (if I ever see one, that is ... ) but that's about it.
    Hmmm .... and I only charge $265.00 for a basic mount without habitat ....

*feels cheap* :(

12. AOTaxi, I also charge $150 for a standing pheasant mount. I add $25 for a flying one though. But like others said, it is way too cheap and he shouldn't be complaining. I just can't bring myself to charge more since I'm just getting into birds and have only mounted 3 pheasants!

13. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

I charge that because that is about the going rate around here for a pheasant, I have done over a hundred pheasants in the last few years so it is not that I have a lack of experience for it, just stay competitive with others in the area on price, that and you get the same old " you charge to much" from the peolple that cant see a difference in work from taxi to taxi.
    AO

14. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

I charge that because that is about the going rate around here for a pheasant, I have done over a hundred pheasants in the last few years so it is not that I have a lack of experience for it, just stay competitive with others in the area on price, that and you get the same old " you charge to much" from the peolple that cant see a difference in work from taxi to taxi.
    AO
    [/quote]

if customers can't see the difference in your mounts and the competitions work then you either need to educate them by showing there is a difference or if there really is no difference then work at finding out why and make your pieces better. the first 2 areas i would recommend starting in improving work is to study the internal anatomy, don't just clean and cut up birds that are just for meat take them apart carefully and see how things go together and work together, the second is get all the reference you can and learn how to interpret it, most taxidermists don't have much for reference and fewer still will actually use what they have or learn how to use it. even in this economy people are willing to spend money you just have to show them why they will be happier spending a little more with you than a little less with someone else. markw.

15. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

yeah .. they all take the same basic procedure to mount , time ect . so why charge more ;D because they have pwettier more colourful feaderzzzzz... ??? ;D ;)

16. $285.00 fopr Pheasents and dukcs unless as Nancy said some exotic with weird wattles.

I guess if I was lacking quanity of work or needed to just mount birds and only dealing with one person and he wanted an honest volume of bird work then $245.00 and could turn out one nice bird per day and not break a sweat or do two if I wanted to make money.

As for buying good birds, few breeders even the big farms like to sell for taxidermy. Blonhaven is very high prices great birds, huge fricken birds.

As for ducks I have bought woodies from Daveminn and Jeff Hedricks and they have good products are good prices.

I used to buy run of the mill pheaqsents in Kansas from some breeders that raised 300,000 per year, they readily sold them to be hunted but got really pissy about me picking birds and putting them down with syringe and air at their place. I thought they were a bit weird.

17. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

a lady once aksed me to mount a bald chicken..she wanted to dress it up in small clothes she designed for it....I asked her 750 euros, but she SADLY refused...

Am I an idiot?

18. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

taxos ;D have you mounted a bald lady ;D ;) shaven raver ;D 8) :D