1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Work starts slackin !

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by wildwings, Dec 30, 2008.

1. wildwings

wildwings New Member

Well I almost am ashame to talk about this but just wondering how many go thru this. Normally I like to think my work is about average compared to most. I am not saying I am better then another or what not just stating my option. Any how I did a couple birds for a customer and noticed small errors during or after they picked them up. The customers loved them however I know in my head I could have done better. Basically 1 of the birds I mounted up looked great after finishing but I never checked on it during the drying stage and basically a couple feathers grouped together vs being shingled out. Then on another project I mounted a fish and it looked just like the fish in the picture. Any how when the customer picks it up he looks at it and says it needs more of a color. So I add color like requested and called and asked when he was going to pick it up however. He tells me on the phone he was doing some thinking and he wanted it repainted. He was really nice about it but it was just a kick to the stomach because I thought I nailed it. Any how just wondering if you guys ever get into the Taxidermy Blues ? If so what gets you back on track. Thanks !

2. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Hey Justin

I know for me there are birds in the past that have gone out the door that to this day I wish I could have a redo on them. There are 2 in particular that always come to mind, but the past is the past. I'm aware of the things I hated on them and because of those things Ive been determined not to repeat them, so in a funky sorta way its really a positive thing for me. Not sure if this applies to your situation completely but just don't get bummed to bad and learn from those issues and determine not to repeat them.

3. CR

CR New Member

how true Jeremy, we all start off thinking its pretty good, and the more we do, sometimes makes me want to redo some from the past. But thats what makes us true professionals, the desire to improve every bird, but a break now and again, helps me thru those blues that wildwings is talking about, take alittle time off and do something you like to do!!!! Hunt, Fish, etc. Hows that saying.....Absence makes the heart grow fonder????? I wish you all the greatest in 2009!!!!!!

4. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

A tall glass and a bottle of Yukon Jack! Gets me right back on track!

5. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

It happens to all of us.. When it strikes me, as it often does, I will switch techniques, or skinning procedure, or the order of general operations. something.. just to make the day go a little differently and change things up a bit.

Jon~

6. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

I'm always nervous when the customer comes. Even though I might like the way a mount turned out, I always wonder if the customer will be happy. Just yesterday a customer came in to pick up a duck, and he kept looking at all the details. It made me wonder if he didn't like certain parts. Then, he told me he had a few more ducks from this year that he was going to bring me. So that made me feel better.

It seems like we taxidermists have the toughest job around. We are responsible for the customer's special trophy. Each animal is just as important as the next. We have to make sure nothing bad happens to it, from the time it comes in the door, to the time it leaves. It is soooo stressful to have that much responsibility. If we mess up, lose something, ruin something, it is like the end of the world.

So I understand how you feel Cody. I think we all feel that way sometimes. As for your fish customer, think of it this way--you will repaint it to please him. Then he will take it home and be happy. If he never spoke up, then he would have taken the fish home and would be upset with it. This way, you will redo it, and he will be happy with it on his wall for years to come.