1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Your own Fish heads

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by John T, Dec 31, 2008.

1. John T

John T Glad I called off work this day!!!

I want to try molding/casting my own fish heads. Can anyone give me a list of supplies that would be the best to start practicing with.

2. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

GI 1100 silicone, IE 3030 polyurethane and some of Innovative Polymers new mother mold material.

You may want some UFC (ultra fast catalyst) to speed the cure of the silicone.

All above can be purchased through PolymersPlus, well I'm not sure if thay have the silicone, that you may have to get from Innovative Polymers.

PB

This link has some info for you if you haven't already seen it. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,121484.0.html

3. I've never done it my self, But I have heard of using plaster for the mold and thinned bondo for the cast.

4. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    You can also use alginate to make the original mold from the fish, cast in bondo/resin and if you wish, make any repairs and then make a production mold using latex, silicone, or some other rubber-like material.

5. scanman

scanman New Member

I use OOMOO 25 (from Smooth-on) for the cast and bondo for the mother mold. Then cast the head out of a bondo/ resin mix. Bondo and resin from Walmart.

6. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

I will jump in and add to the confusion--lol.

If the fish head needs repair due to shrinkage or damage on the head I use a cheaper material to make the mold. The material I use is to create both the cast and mold is a mix of Bond and resin. If the head is fresh and in good shape I use an RTV to make a mold you can get several pulls from and make the casts out of a urethane material like smoothcast 300.

I wrote an article in breakthrough covering this topic if interested(not sure of the issue)

7. John T

John T Glad I called off work this day!!!

Thanks for all the input guys........I'm self teaching so, anything helps right now. I'm sure I will screw up the first few

8. The old 50/50 bondo resin for both mold and reproduction, just wax the flange area when molding, and wax the mold well. no biggy.

9. As you can see there are several methods and materials to use. I used algenate and plaster of paris to mold and cast this head, but mostly I was looking for a referance cast to have during the mounting process. I then went and use the products PB listed and also use a smooth on product for the jaket mold {or mother mold}. but you do not really need to do all of these steps, I myself just want to go though all the steps sometimes, but that is just me. Here is some pictures of molding and casting a fish head, http://www.allmounts.com/fish_head_molding.html

10. You, know, if some body could post a tutorial, it would be great. There is one at hidetanning.net on the second page, but there are not to many pics. So if several folks posted tutorials on this thread, or in the tutorials section, we newbies could get some new ideas. Maybe Rick Krane could show his method. Thanks

11. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

Ryan ----- Randall had posted a link in his reply directly above yours. Perhaps you can persuade him to post it in the tutorial section.

12. Ryan,
    You can make a simple head mold in the following steps.
    Step 1.
    Prep the head. Soak in water, (if frozen), to re-hydrate and smooth out any wrinkles in the fish head.
    De-slime if needed and dry the head adequately so that you pick up good detail in your mold.
    Open the mouth as desired. Fill the back of the head with clay or Play-doh.

13. Step 2.
    Secure the head in a cup. Use a circular piece of wood, with a post or spike in the middle. Place this mounted "spike" in the base of the cup. Gently position the head onto the spike, in the cup.

14. step 3.
    Pour your mold material gently into the mouth of the head. Allow it to overflow until you have covered the top of the Kype, So that the entire interior and exterior of the head is being molded at once. Please note, unless you are degassing, I do not recommend using the product shown. There are other mediums available that are not as sensitive to trapped air. I would recommend OOMOO 25 (a Silicone Rubber).

Please note: the cup is different, because I did not have a pic showing the poured mold, for this head mold. (same technique, different cup mold)

15. Step 4.
    After the mold material is set, remove the mold from the cup or simply (cut the cup off of the head mold). Then Turn the mold upside down and trim any material needed to remove the head from the mold. Please note, there is no need for a mother mold as well.

16. Step 5.
    Now you are ready to cast your fish head from your mold.
    Use the material of your choice. I prefer using one of the Urethane's. Paul B. mentioned IE 3030 from Innovative Polymers or Smooth-On's Smooth Cast 300 or 320.
    I like to spray a little aerosol mold release into the mold, before casting for easier release. You will be making a complete casted head interior and exterior with this mold.
    Please note: when you are ready to demold the cast from the mold, you can use pliers to pull the cast out. Clamp onto the Flashing area, so you do not mark up your cast head. Once demolded then simply grind off the flashing. Shown below is the cast with the flashing removed.

17. Interior view of the mouth cast.

18. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Dondi

How long does it take for the silicone to set up? I am assuming no heat during set up?

Thanks

Kerby...

19. Kerby,
    By definition, I have used Silicone Rubbers and Urethane Rubbers, which are two-component, flexible mold compounds.
    Mix ratio : 1A : 1B
    Hardness, shore A 20
    Pour time: 20-25 mins.
    Demold time: Varies depending on material. 75 mins. up to overnight.

Degassing not needed. Low heat is generated. Perhaps this could be a good guide line in selecting Mold mediums to use for your Head Molds. I'm not an expert. But I have had success with this type of molding.

20. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Thank you Dondi for taking the time to put this info on here, I can tell you that it really has helped me. I lern beter withe piktures )))