1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Your own Fish heads

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by John T, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Dondi are you saying that you use a platinum cure silicone that doesn't react with moisture?? Just curious as I have never found one.

PB

2. Paul,
    In the past I have used these products for fish head molding. Polytek's PlatSil 71-20 for Head and fin molds. Smooth-On's Smooth-Sil for head molds (would degass if using). Reo-flex 20, which is a Urethane rubber from Smooth-On is can be used for head molds or OOMOO-25, which is a Silicone Rubber.
    The medium that I used, in the head mold displayed is Smooth-Sil.

I have used the IE 3030 from Innovative Polymers for casting the heads and it works great, as does Smooth-cast 300. There are many molding and casting mediums on the market, and experience is limited to a few that I have used.
    Recommendations are always welcome !

3. thatguyonline

thatguyonline winnie the pooh

WI
    IDK if this would help. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,77250.0.html

4. Could you you use plaster or polyester resin for molding? also, could you brush some oil in for mold release?
    Thanks for the pics

5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Dondi -- is the head frozen or not ?

6. RyanP, I do not make fish head molds with plaster or polyester resin. Reasons being...issues with demolding your cast and Longevity of the mold. Perhaps others have used these mediums for head molds ?

Wildthings, The fish head is NOT frozen. Also, de-slime and dry the head so that you will mold good detail from the head.

7. We make our molds with latex, by just painting numerous coats over a previously made head (or a real one). I think it is anywhere between 15 and 20 coats. This makes the molds flexible and hard to break. For our "releasing" agent, we use off brand Pam cooking spray grease. We coat the inside of the mold once and that's it.Then to cast the head, we use fiberglass resin (I think it's actually an auto-body filler resin) and just pour it in. Only takes about 30 minutes to harden completely. We've done it that way for over 25 years now.

8. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Thanks

9. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Hey John, are you still giving samples? I tried to email you but it got kicked back...

10. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Hey Dondi, in ref to your head molds. Are they solid? Do you have to dremel out the center?

11. naturalcreti40,
    The head molds will have a hollow area in them where the head was positioned in the cup.
    The only trimming that you do, is when the mold is cured, you turn it upside down, trim the bottom of the mold, so that you can remove the head from the mold.

12. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

Here's CUR's method. I saved it from a few years ago.

http://www.hidetanning.net/FishTaxidermyHeadCasting.html