1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lifesize Mammal of the Month #10 (1/09-2/09)

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Doylestudio, Jan 1, 2009.

1. heres my first squirrels i did, a lot of people liked them but i had some people hate the whole "novelty" idea. oh well!

2. 1st archery coyote, 25 yards between the shoulder blades and exited out the butt hole.

3. paul e

paul e New Member

something im about finish with

4. ed150

ed150 deer city time

love that last yote mount :) :) :)

5. Michael Shipman

Michael Shipman Killen Merriams in SD

here's a bear and cat just delivered

6. paul e

paul e New Member

nice
    love the cat pose

7. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

paul what form did you have to use for that deer?

8. paul e

paul e New Member

tann wtds
    form mckenzie ld-196 chopped it all to hell(cast the head)
    base lsb204w

9. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Paul, that deer looks like a cross between a Sambar Deer and an Axis Deer. They are both from India, so it's a possibility that hybrids can occur. That's just my assumption from the antlers and the coat pattern. Am I close?

Helluva mount! Nicely done!

John.

10. paul e

paul e New Member

THANKS!
    it was killed on a small 600 acre private ranch
    animals that it could have been were axis,fallow,and red stag
    thats the only ones on the ranch
    no Sambar
    it was a weird animal
    now im going by what i was told

.75 thick on almost the hole back
    more than a big axis
    strangest thing i think ive ever done

11. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Hmmm ... that is unusual. I did find some info on Sambar Deer I thought might be interesting anyway. Hope you don't mind.

Sambar deer (Cervus unicolor)
    The sambar deer is the most widely spread deer species in the world, covering many countries in the Asian continent. It is also one of the larger members of the deer family. Some males are known to weigh up to 300kg and can grow to a height ranging from 135-150cm at the shoulders. Their population is large and spread to almost every corner of India. They do not appear on the endangered list. The specimens found in central India appear to be larger than those found in other regions. The male members of this species have antlers that can grow to a length of 90-95cm, with a record finding of one that measured 127cm! These animals have a life expectancy ranging between 16-20 years. They are the favourite prey species of the tiger. A large sambar can feed a tiger for up to 4 days. Unlike the spotted deer, which shouts an alarm and darts away at the sight of a predator, the sambar tends to alertly watch and keep giving alarm calls until the danger has passed. A reason due to which many of them fall prey for predators.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Red Deer/Red Stag
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sometimes ... sometimes mind you, these private places have animals who's lineage is unknown, and sometimes many of them don't know exactly what they have. It's the antler growth and shape that make me think Sambar cross ... although ... the mingling of the Red Deer and Axis could produce a configuration somewhere in between. Definitely a conversation starter at any rate!

John.

12. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

paul it's a beautiful deer no doubt.....i believe we have a mutual acquaintance......ronnie dufrene. he's married to my cousin.

13. First fisher I ever did - and the first base I think I have ever made that doesn't suck... (pretty much every base I have ever made - when I even go to the trouble to make a base - has consisted of more or less a piece of plywood, maybe with some crappy dirt or plants glued to it):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. ShedEgo

ShedEgo New Member

yea, her fur was still pretty wet in the picture.she is now brushed and fluffed :)

Great work everyone!

15. paul e

paul e New Member

Plaisance your right
    hes one of my best friends

16. paul e

paul e New Member

John i just dont know , have you ever heard of or seen a axix/red hybrid?

great pics by the way

i just dont know and i hear ya the ranch owner might have some genes mixed in he doesn't know about
    Ive kept the head(skull)
    there are a few interested parties arguing over what this is that may decide to get a DNA test
    interesting project it has been
    researching this was fun
    deciding what form and base and all
    chopping it all to hell and making it fit the skin was a challenge
    but i love a pile of foam on the floor lol

17. Bob Coughlin

Bob Coughlin New Member

John and Paul,
    You might want to check a dybroski's sika. Native to Russia ( or what ever they call it these days) Its the largest of the sika species. They weigh in excess of 200 lbs. If I'm not mistaken an axis cannot cross with any other deer specie.

18. I like that fisher and the base.

19. paul e

paul e New Member

same situation
    no sika on ranch(Mississippi)
    but
    like John said maybe ranch has got genes hes not aware of
    its definitely got axis in the mix
    maybe its not supposed to but when i took it in you could see there is definitely axis traits
    now axis and what else ?
    sure in the heck looks like red stag
    we had this discussion when j brown posted the carcuss pics for me a few weeks back

20. i thought sika soon as i looked at it...who knows?
    sambar are very well established here in down under too...ited be the most challanging deeer to hunt here also, as they are very hard to find even though they are many.