1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull trouble

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by borty, Dec 30, 2006.

1. borty

borty New Member

I had 2 skulls and I placed them in water for approx. 5 weeks. I then pulled them out and simmered with sal soda to remove any residual flesh. The skulls were extremely yellow, almost like a yellow orange. I never degreased them (probably should have) and then mixed basic white and 40% peroxide. The only thing that whitened on them were the teeth, the yellow is still their. Should I try to degrease them and with what? What do I do next? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $75 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Yup, they need degreasing. Do a search, you'll find lots of info!

Wolfwoman

3. wacbravo

wacbravo TEAM WAC

Yellow orange? Does it look like the color is from being greasy? Although you should always degrease, I've never had skulls look yellow-orange without it (if you literally mean a yellow-orange color). Skulls that are greasy tend to take on a greyish to brownish color in spots with pronounced grease, and the skulls themselves can become greenish or yellowish.The color on your skulls may be from something other than them being greasy, perhaps bacteria in the maceration, leaves or other foreign matter that had fallen in, the sal soda, etc. Nonetheless, the peroxide solution should have rid it of its color, and the reason it didn't is probably because of greasiness within the skull (the peroxide mix doesn't cling well to the oil-laden bone). Go ahead and degrease with an ammonia-water mix or a dawn detergent-warm water mix. Degreasing time will vary with the method and the skull (see my other post), but leave the skulls in the solution for at least two weeks. This will get rid of the grease and hopefully the color as well. After the skulls have dried, redo a whitening, perhaps soaking the skulls full strength in 3% H2O2 if they are small enough, and let them sit in the sun to dry. If your skulls were that color because of the maceration or greasiness, this should work. If something else had stained them, you may try a soak in acetone and additional whitening but white skulls are not guaranteed. I'd go through all the steps leading up to your skulls as they are now and see if something may have affected them. Hope all goes well.

Dave

4. what kind of tank were you using to soak them? this might be a partial source of the problem...