1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

IE 3055 Jacket-Process & Pictures

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Polymer Guy, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Here are a couple pictures of the jacket material, IE 3055. This is a mold of a piece of coral. I used GI 1100 to make the flexible silicone glove. Once I had a couple layers built up on the silicone, I added one layer of the IE 3055. It is thixotropic, so after about 30 seconds of mixing, it will become thixotropic and nice thick layers can be added over the silicone to give it rigidity. I have added a silicone locator (white knob) to the center of the blue silicone glove. When the jacket is placed over the glove, the knob is pulled through the jacket to keep the sidewalls snug to the side of the jacket. now your walls won't cave-in on themselves.

[im[​IMG]g][/img]

Here the glove is being placed into the jacket.

[​IMG]][/img]

[​IMG]][/img]

[​IMG]][/img]

Once the mold is together, I used the IE 3030 and rotationally cast it into the mold. A nice skin was filled into all the intricate detail and undercuts of the GI 1100 silicone. The high tear strength of this silicone makes it a great choice when you need high detail-repeatable castings. The low viscosity of the IE 3030 fills in everywhere! I then poured our 4-PCF foam (FM 2045)into the created 3030 skin and filled the empty void. The glove is removed from the mothermold and the glove is peeled from the cast. The part was cast and demolded in roughly 30 minutes.

[​IMG]][/img]

Here's the finished piece.

[im[​IMG]g][/img]

Guess which one is the master???

[im[​IMG]g][/img]

For everyone getting a sample of the IE 3055, I recommend pre-weighing or measuring into cups and then add one side into the other while mixing. This will give you a smoother mix. Sorry the pictures are kind of crummy. But you get the idea. (I need a new lab camera boss!!!)

2. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Thanks Scott! I will have to get in touch with Mike B from Polymer Plus to get some. He will have it won't he?

3. monkey

monkey New Member

Sorry Scooter. No money in the budget. You will have to keep your Kodak Brownie.
    M2

4. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

I would buy a lot more product if the pictures were clear. Come on, help us out Monkey boss.

5. 4txdrm

4txdrm Most expensive thing about quality is ignoring it.

Nice instructional, thank you!! One question did you do a hand lay up a urethane skin or did you pour in and go right into roto casting. Thanks Again!

6. J. Sonner

J. Sonner New Member

Got y samples today. Thanks, I'll post some pics in a while to show how it worked. Thanks again.

7. thanks for tutorial, polymer

8. Once the mold was completed, I poured about 150 grams of IE 3030 and rotationally cast it by hand. This product sets-up in 3-minutes, so I rotationally spun it for about 5-minutes to make sure thin sections were completely covered and the material was molten. I then cast IE 2045 foam immediately into the 3030 to fill the empty cavity.

9. Gooter

Gooter My Taxidermy Assistant

Received my sample today - thank you. A very generous sample as well. I'll play with this pretty soon. I'm so new to all of this, so there is a lot to learn.
    Thank you again!
    Eileen

10. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Got a ??

Does the GI 1100 heat up? I was going to try it on a medium lizard (Uromastyx) ? I still need to skin mount the lizard. I've always used alginate in the past.

Thanks

Kerby...

ps Got my sample today...THANKS

Kerby...

11. Ravenson

Ravenson New Member

Hey I got my samples yesterday I plan on give it a try this weekend. Thanks a lot for the samples.

Thank you
    Jeff

12. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Still waiting for my sample. I'll take one of everything. LOL

13. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

Thanks Polymer
    Got my sample yesterday and will be giving it a try shortly.

14. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

No Kerby it does not.

15. Very little heat generated Kerby. These silicones do not react the way that a polyurethane system reacts. Tin based molds, like the GI 1100, are condensation cure and there is virtually zero heat produced in this reaction. Some of our typical customers cast 50 to 100 pound molds to replicate car bumpers and the like, and if there was an exotherm, it would destroy the masters. Platnum molds are addition cure reactions and the heat generated is very small. It will work great against fish, lizards or any organics. We actually used the GI 1100 to mold one of our sales-guys hands this past year!

16. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Thanks for the sample Scott!

17. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

No thermal intensification

18. Kerby Ross

Thanks.........

Guess I will be molding the Banded Uromastyx today.

:)

Kerby...

19. maximum

maximum The one that got away! Made the other guy Famous!

I got my sample yesterday thanks. Can't wait to use it.

20. Kerby Ross

So,.............

So how long does it take to set up? It's been a few hours..........

I did 10:1

Kerby...