1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New England Association of Taxidermists Convention 2009

Discussion in 'Convention Information' started by Steve Hackett, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Re: NEAT Show 09 Major Award winners slideshow.(Now with the names of the Winner

Thats the reason I have always suggested NO special awards in commercial division, just the standard 1st 2nd and 3rd. no BofC.

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Re: NEAT Show 09 Major Award winners slideshow.(Now with the names of the Winners)

I would tend to agree with that 100%!!!

3. Skip Miller

Skip Miller New Member

Re: NEAT Show 09 Major Award winners slideshow.(Now with the names of the Winners)

Thanks for explanation Steve!

Bill..why punish the people in the professional division by not offering them any special awards?

A lot of folks would just stay home then. Why not just run this show like any other. Have it so anyone can only compete in one division ie. masters, professional, armature and youth.

I can't imagine to many people wanting to enter the commercial division knowing full well that they are going against someone in the masters. This has always been a bone of contention, at state shows, in the challenge category. Not very many people in the the open or novice division enter because they know they are going against a master and feel that they have not chance. Yes, it ultimately falls on the individual although it is something we need to be mindful of.

What's the incentive to ever move into the masters?

It just strikes me as odd!

4. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Re: NEAT Show 09 Major Award winners slideshow.(Now with the names of the Winner

I think you may have misunderstood. I said no special awards in COMMERCIAL division. That way, guys would be less likely to stack that category. In my state, comm div was for newbies to test the waters or guys who couldnt spend time for comp peices, or the best reason, to get their customer a small ribbon to help with public relations and word of mouth. Once states started offering categories, and best of's in commercial, they started getting entries going there that wouldve been in other categories.

5. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

Thank's Matt for posting up a slideshow. Kim and I have been struggling for days trying to get one up. I was going to post one but for some reason we are having issues w/ our slideshows. Great job. As far as the Major awards for the lesser divisions, I am biased. If they were eliminated, my son couldnt brag about how much better he is than me. LOL. If the individual associations feel they should award such awards, so be it. I feel that the commercial division should be just that. A commercially mounted piece judged from a few feet away. The Amateur division should be for the newbies and first time competitors looking for a critique from the judge to help them. I do however think that there are several pieces every show that should not be entered into the Amateur division due to the high quality of the piece and should be judged in the Professional division or higher.