1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antler repair in the Dallas TX. area?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Wdlangford, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Wdlangford

Wdlangford New Member

Can anyone refer me to someone who does antler repair in the Dallas area that they know will do an excellent job. I have repaired a couple of tines before but have never been happy with the work. Luckily, they were customers that didn't know the difference and loved them anyway. I have a special customer this year. After over 40 years of hunting, for the first time my father finally harvested a good buck this year. I will be mounting it to take to our competition later on in the year, and I would just like someone to repair a broke tine that can do a more professional job than I. Due to the lack of experience, I just don't want to screw this one up.

Can anyone help me please. Thank you, Waylan

2. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Waylon, the actual repair is the easy part, it's blending the colors that can be a bitch. I started airbrushing mine and they look much better. You won't screw it up, it can always be redone, just break off the repair, or strip the color, and start over if you don't like it ;) Lord knows I've done that enough.

I'm never happy with mine either, but most people can't tell unless I point it out to them. I think it's because I know exactly where it is. Yours is probaby the same ;)

3. Wdlangford

Wdlangford New Member

Becky, Its not the repair, I'm good at actually making the antler, its just the darn painting like you said, that I can't get down. I can't ever seem to get the actual colors to match. Its the bone white tips and the grey colored antlers that I can't get right. Any colors that you can advise on? Waylan

4. mntduks-tx

mntduks-tx New Member

waylan,

if you want to drive to san antonio and bring your antlers, i will help you make the tine repair and show you how to color them...

andrew,

we can repair it in a few hours

5. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Waylon, you should take Andrew up on that offer.
    I can't really tell you what colors as it depends on the antlers. I do know that I had a set that was a nightmare, they were either too grey or too brown, used a tiny bit of orange on them and that was what they needed. It's kinda like painting a fish, you have to see the colors.