1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing tools at home?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by bnew17, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Im about to start the process of fleshing out a coyote. Are there any household tools that would help me? I forgot to order a fleshing tool when i ordered my chemicals. This is my first pelt ive tanned and am new to this. Thanks

2. crazycrow

crazycrow Sure ucan trust the government,just ask any indian

I use an old draw knife,i have also used aplain old file

3. shopkins94

shopkins94 New Member

wire brush wheel on a drill.

4. crazycrow

crazycrow Sure ucan trust the government,just ask any indian

I use a wire wheel on a bench grinder to,usually only on the thicker skins

5. Randy Mac

Randy Mac New Member

The wire wheel works fine remove the big stuff with a knife then use the wire wheel use water on the hide so that you do not rip the hide put in pickle for two days then do it again on the wire wheel with water shave the head

6. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

The benchgrinder and wire wheel works for me. I also do the thinning and lip turning and facial area with the stone wheel. No water. I jsut wash first then tumble for only 5 minutes and this plumps the hide and keeps it nice and moist and you can flesh with out rehydrating.

7. If you have a power washer, try that.

8. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

SINGLE EDGE RAZOR BLADES...........CLEAN DEER,CAPE EM OUT,FLESH................CHEAP AND A SHARP ONE IS JUST INCHES AWAY!

9. WWA

WWA New Member

ut
    i have used a power washer.
    it works real good

10. GRIGGS6

GRIGGS6 Member

I have seen people have wire/ zip tie on the trigger of the drill. then put the drill in a vice, or threw a hole in bucket. Stuff will fly every where.

11. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Anyone know of any type of holder for this type of blade ? and were to get them .