1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

McKenzie WT Nose rebuild

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bruledrift, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

I'm sure some will jump on me for this, but I have one McKenzie form that I realy need to widen the nose on, it is just too small. I wish I had measured the width of the nose actually, it looks funny right now it's so small. Am I going to have to widen the bridge also? I use sculp-all generally for this kind of thing, but is critterclay going to work better?

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Why would somebody jump on you for this??? Just saw it (split it) top to bottom as far back as you feel you need & then put a wedge in to hold open & fill in with clay, foam or sculpt all...what ever you are comfortable with.

3. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

I had looked through some of the old posts on this subject with McKenzie forms and there were some heated discusions that took place.

Saw the whole front off the nose and split it? or just the nose half of the jaw? I guess I didn't think of that way of doing it. Makes sense though. I was in the mindset of widning by just using clay, but I'll have to look at it and see.

Thanks Mike

4. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Wait, I get it now, you mean just cut back in the center of the nose toward the eye and then wedge it open? That wouldwork.

5. michael p.

Thats exactly what i'm saying. That way you get your circumfrence spreading the entire way back.

People will always bitch about this form & that form, but there is absolutely no doubt that McKenzies have very narrow faces. Mount a few huge South Texas bucks and have all that loose skin hanging down & these people arguing will [edit]! :) LOL

Alot of times I use what I got to work with & build up more with clay than anything, Rooseter uses about 2 pounds of damn clay adding on to the face & cheek of a McKenzie deer form if he has to use one :) LOL But it really does help the appearance.

6. John L

John L Active Member

If it isn't too much difference I just put clay over the nose pad (always put clay over nose pad but extra in this case) and build my nostril wings to the proper width then remove excess though nostril.

7. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

For my Wisconsin deer, it's just too narrow. The guy would not like it at all. John that's what I was going to do originally, but I am going to look at the form and see if the way Mike was talking about would be better. I am concerned about making the septum if I were to split it though.

8. michael p.

Run you a milk jug liner in there before you fill in the void & then mold your nostrils why whatever you use is setting.

9. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Yep, that would work. This Global freezing we are having up hear has slowed my brain down alittle. LOL

10. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Actually, I just thought of something. If I use bondo, I would have the color I need for the septum. See, when I warmed the brain up, it starts working again.