1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"THE" 5 hour European mount tutorial.

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by michael p., Jan 10, 2009.

1. Just tried this method on my first euro today, dont know how to post pics yet but it turned out great. Thanks MP for some great info for us beginners!

2. TheDeerTree

TheDeerTree New Member

Hello,

This was very helpful tutorial! I thought I would introduce myself and back up your section on the cream developer and bleach.

My name is Jason, I've been lurking on there for a while and just signed up for an account last night. I own a beauty supply distributorship, basically I sell beauty supplies to salons. I deal with the bleach and developer every day and seeing some people suggest mixing things like flour, or baking powder or anything like that just seems insane. You are actually causing the developer to be less effective. Also the idea that the light helps the processing is wrong, like the OP said it's the heat that speeds up the process. If you use the bleach I would mix it a little thicker, you can go almost as thick as a paste consistency so it doesn't run as you rotate it. Also, if you need to leave it on long I would only let it sit for an hour and a half, after that most bleach stops working and you will need to reapply more. Also, there are some companies who make bleach that has a blue or a purple pigment, avoid this for deer skulls, the blue and purple work great on hair to keep it from turning orange but it will stain your skull.

Oh... also if you don't have a space heater, "borrow" your wife or GF's hair dryer and use that to heat it. If the cellophane starts to melt you can just hit the cool shot button and cool it back down.

Thanks for the great advices, this site has been a huge help.

Jason I.

3. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

MP...meet DeerTree....your new hair stylist.

4. TheDeerTree

TheDeerTree New Member

Ha, I don't think you want me touching your hair, I just sell the stuff, my wife actually uses it.

5. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

you actually think michael p uses conventional hair products for those spikes? im guessing super glue

6. Thanks for the awesome tutorial.

7. Huntr Pat

Huntr Pat New Member

Nice!

8. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

Here's a skull I did using this Knowledge . It rocks.

[​IMG]

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Hey cooter....that looks GREAT!!

10. coon hunter

Thanks Michael It shore beats those bugs ,and rotting and stinking . It even makes you Kind of hungry to smell it boiling .

11. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

If it hasn't already been asked, is this process applicable to any type of skull? I want to try it on a bear but wanted to check for sure here first.

12. RTF

RTF Active Member

Very good tutorial.

13. coon hunter

yes it will work for a bear.

14. michael p.

Maybe coonhunter can f=do it, BUT I WOULD NOT reccomend this for a bear. That's just me though.

15. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

I wondered with the extra grease and fat. I have bear trip in a week & if/when I get lucky, I may try it on my own first.
    Thanks mp!!!

16. RICK LOPEZ

RICK LOPEZ New Member

what about velvet antlers. how do you not boil the velvet?

17. michael p.

You ALWAYS cut the velvet horns OFF the skull no matter how you do it!!! DUH LOL :)

18. RICK LOPEZ

RICK LOPEZ New Member

you truly are the european master :D i know that i was wonderin about a different way sorry should have been more detailed.

19. michael p.

I'm just picking on you ;) Seriously though, whether you macerate, beatle or simmer, all velvet antlers must be removed & treated seperately. There is no way to keep them attached with out risking major damage in any of those cleaning processes.

20. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

Nice job. I looked online and cant seem to find Basic White & 40 volume mixing cream. Where do you get yours?

Thanks
    Derek

BTW I saw the post where someone pointed out the crocks... man are you serious?!!!