1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"THE" 5 hour European mount tutorial.

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by michael p., Jan 10, 2009.

1. Colonel

Colonel Missouri River Rat

Derek you can buy it at Beauty Salons or Beauty supply stores such Sally's.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/Search-Show?q=40+volume

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Clairol-Lightener/SBS-320832,default,pd.html

2. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

Thanks

3. monkies_butt

monkies_butt New Member

CO
    Awesome stuff man..! One Question if I may ask..?

Im about on my way to finishing up my skull this way and I wasnt paying attention and the mix also ran down my skull onto my antlers.. Michael P, can you reference the Paint that was used to color the Antlers

Thanks,

Manbearpig likes this.
  4. Nice tutorial!

Just a hint:

I don't know how you get the bondo into the skull cavity, but if you use a piping bag, like you use for baking, full of bondo, it's much less messy! :)
    You can also put the bondo into a plastic zipper bag, and cut the tip off of one corner to get it down in there!

Amazing tutorial, good thing my mom's a hairdresser! I can get tons of bleach! Hah! :p

5. buckstands

buckstands Mount it like it was your's

good stuff ....thanks m.p

6. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

gonna try this one this week. got two to do.

7. dhawk

dhawk New Member

This was my second attempt at doing a European Mount and it turned out great. I am an amateur when it comes to taxidermy, so thank you!! This is an excellent step by step process on how to do the mount. (It looks better than the ones I have paid for)

Problem: I mounted the skull on the wall and my buddy took it down to look at it. When he put it back on the wall it fell. Can you now help me out on how to glue the bone back on? Do you know of a tutorial on how to do so? I feel like crap, it turned out well now the bottom piece where the nose used to be is gone...

8. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

It should slide back into the outside of the nasal cabvity and line back up.

9. attilio

attilio New Member

thanks for the post. i'm just doin my first one and this helps a lot.

10. Vanessa

Vanessa New Member

What do you do if you get stain on the skull itself? how would i fix that?

11. buckhunting101

buckhunting101 Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

Im guessing something like acetone.

12. Terry N

Terry N New Member

I am a little confused about the air boiling. You show the skull in
    a sink filled with soapy water after the simmering process. How are you boiling the skull in the sink? I must have missed something but it looks like you are air blowing the skull in hot soapy water but not boiling water am I correct?

13. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

you blow the air into the tiny crevaces and holes, all over and inside. the "air boiling" occurs when the air is released under the water creating bubbles, like in boiling.

14. Pappacannon

Pappacannon New Member

Anything different with a boar head? Is there another way if you dont have an air gun?

15. tex4k

tex4k New Member

A guy I know here took his skulls down to a shop that has a steamer, the ones like a pressure washer with a big heater, and blew his off I looked at them when he go done and they looked really good couldn't find any greasy spots anywhere.

16. shockme2

shockme2 New Member

Excellent tutorial. I haven't done a European Mount yet and this has inspired me to give it a shot.

17. jermwilliams

jermwilliams New Member

i tried this method of whitening today for the first time. It seems to work great but the problem i had was when i brushed on the paste and wrapped it, it seemed to wanna smear off the bone. when i unwrapped the first one and washed it off, i had a spotted up skull. Anybody else had this problem. if so how did you correct it?

18. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I have this problem sometimes. I add a little more of the cream to make it wetter and it usually sticks better.

19. zebrazach

zebrazach New Member

awesome tutorial!!!

20. The cream will puff up to like 3 times it's starting volume. If you just let it sit, it should coat the whole skull just fine.