1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Weird Question

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by FishArt, Sep 13, 2006.

1. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Currently, I'm pretty far behind on my work. And, I've got a couple of pretty old customers. Gosh forbid, what would you do IF one of your customer's died BEFORE you completed their mount? I'm thinking that I've already got 50%+ down and at this point I would just offer to give it to the family. What are your feelings???

2. fesekula

fesekula Active Member

Heaven forbid, I have never had that happen but if a customer would happen to pass on I do believe the grieving family would be more then happy to finish with the payment and fill happy that they would receive a mount that their loved one cherished.

3. I would contact them,and tell them you have a mount of their loved ones and not mention money owed,if they offer good, but if not you were not going to get anything from that customer anyways.

4. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    I had a customer die after I finished mounting his deer head but he asked his nephew before he died if he would pick his deer head up for him. His nephew came and picked it up and payed the balance, but I would have never said anything about any money if he had not. He said his uncle asked him to finish paying for it before he died.

5. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

FishArt,
    I have yet to run in to that situation. But I think that would be the proper way to handle it.

6. B KENNEDY

B KENNEDY “THE YOUNG GUN”

OHIO
    I have to agree with Deerman and Mike Welch. If this where to happing. Hope this does not.

Best of luck if it does

7. FishArt

Yeah, iIm thinking that's the most tactful approach. IF they bring up the final payment part, I'll gladly accept the remaining cabbage though - lol!

I didn't mean to be so "dark" with the topic. But hey, this is one of those deals where you want to be prepared if it happens...

8. Tenbears

Tenbears Member

I do realize that we all like to believe we are sympathetic caring individuals. The truth of the matter is this. we should all be business men/ women first. My wife's mother just died last February. she owed on her house, car,and some appliances. guess what guys neither GMAC, Chase Manhattan. or lee's appliance offered to just call the debt square. In fact come the first of the month they informed us that if the payment was not paid by the 10th they would impose a late fee. GMAC informed us that if we did not pay the balance in full within 30 days they would repossess the car. as it was now in the hands of a third party. not the individual the loan was made to. Sorry to hear about your loss. and I am more than happy to work with this matter. but I have significant time and materials invested in the mount and if you would like to have the mount the balance is $$$$ that is just the way business is.

9. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

I had something like this ahppen, but the mount was done for awhile. I took the mount to the PTA show last year. I got a third with it. While I was at the show the guy wrecked his truck. He was in the hospital for awhile and ended up passing away. I wasnt sure what to do with the head. I just let thing go for awhile. I finally saw his wife and told her I would bring the mount over. I took the head and the ribbon over and gave it to her, she was very happy that I even got a ribbon with the deer, and even more so that I gave it to her, just something to remember him by. Still it was sad deal. He was a heck of a guy, and will be missed. I have a picture in my shop of his head with the ribbon and the card that you get at the viewings, ya know "In memory of"

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Had a customer die on me (wife paid in full) and had a customer say he was dying of cancer to get me to do it faster. Guess what? The guy that said he was dying of cancer is still around 5 years later. I think he fibbed a little. ;D

I also did a deer head for some parents in memory of their son that got killed in a car accident. Pretty sad but they really cherished the deer that he had taken while he was still alive.

Marty if you've got any panfish I can get 'em done in 30 days or less at $8.00 per inch to help you out. Just let me know. Shipping back is free.

11. FishArt

Cecil - thanks for the offer. I actually emailed you about this when we had this discussion about two months ago. Never got a reply. Don't know if you're running that blocking software or what, but maybe you just don't want to hear from me - lol!

In a nutshell, I just didn't/don't have enough panfish to justify taking the time to send them out. I thought I had a few more, but I only had 4 or 5 of them and I wasn't behind on them (yet!) What a weird business. Took in 21 fish in July, 26 in August (15 in one day) and so far ONE in September. And that was a piranha - lol! (seriously). Never did one before and this one is about a foot long. Any worries? You want to do this one? :)

12. I had a similar situation to one of Cecils. I had done a fish for a young guy one year and he loved it. Shortly thereafter, he was killed in a car wreck. This guy loved to fish and his mother, father and fiancee continued to fish often. One day , the fiancee caught a good bass and had it mounted in his honor, complete with an engraved panel dedicating it to him. They said he used to love coming in our shop. I have had a one customer pass with a deer in...it was paid in full...he was single and I didnt have any other family point of contact. What do you do?

13. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Happened once,........

Mounted a Mountain Lion for a customer about 10 years ago. Customer put 50% down. A few months later I read in the obituaries of a person that sounded like my customer (same name, age, activities, etc..). After a couple of days I called his number and his mother answered and confirmed that it was him. I explained why I had called and that I was doing his Mt. Lion. She said to go ahead and complete it and she would pick it up after it was done and pay the balance. She was very happy and grateful to have it on her wall.

Legally though the mount belongs to your customer and if they pass away and have not specified what to do with it (like the rest of their property), then it probably belongs to the taxidermist. Not sure what one would do if 2 relatives both laid a claim to it?

Kerby...

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Marty,

I never saw the email. Maybe if you wouldn't have said something sexy in the the title it wouldn't have been blocked! ;D

As far as the piranha the only thing that will give you trouble is the tough tissue dorsally and ventrally that you will probably have to scrape out with a scalpal. However if you want me to do it I will.

After the gas prices went dow I got swamped! I was so proud of myself skinning out completely every fish that came in and mounting up them up the next day if I didn't need to order a mannikin, and then I couldn't keep up! So now I have to thaw out a few of them! But I can still do panfish 30 days or less.

15. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Oh he's still dyin of cancer, he's just bein ornery about it!

16. Dean

Dean New Member

I had it happen to two customers in the same year. One was a cop that drown when he was off duty. His buddies (all cops) came over to pay for the deer head and give it to his wife. I gave them the mount at n/c and told them to give the money to his wife instead. Many of the cops were already customers or new me through friends. It was just a good thing to do and ended up with a lot more work from it and it went a long way with those guys. His wife called me up and thanked me a few weeks later. The other was a guy that died before he could see his deer head. His wife picked it up and insisted on paying for it. And thanked me for being so kind and we had a long talk remembering her husband whom I never really knew until I chatted with his wife.

17. Hogger

Hogger "The Gipper"

Before I started in the business, a friend and I both sent mounts we shot together to the same taxidermist. My friend died before the mounts were done. I paid for both. I didnt expect a "break", just a mere sympathetic word from my taxidermist as a caring human being was enough for me. I'm currently doing a hog for a man who's health is touch and go. I did put him ahead in my list because I'd like for him to get his mount before he dies. But I do plan on asking for the balance from family if he dies. I think people understand that you expecting full payment doesn't make you unsympathetic. It's like Tenbears said, you had a business relationship with the deceased, and its okay to expect compensation. Just be sympathetic.

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

He's an onery ol' cuss that's for sure!

Come to think of it Dean I did a salmon for a cop that died. His police buddies ended up paying for it. He died because he was on a high speed chase and forgot about a hair pin turn up ahead. ::)

19. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

KevinH, Cecil,and Dean that was very nice of you. You all get karmalized. LOL

20. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

One of my very first customers brought me a bobcat for a rug. After I finished it I called and left a message that it was done. Never herd from him. Called a month later and he said that his wife had died a few weeks before and he forgot about it. Said he would pick it up that week. It's been 6 months now and haven't heard from him. I think it was his wife's idea to get it mounted in the first place, so I don't think he wants it now. Which is ok, it makes an excellent display, everyone who sees it wants one. I know that legally it is my property now, but if he ever comes back and wants it I will give it to him.