1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sculping an antler

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Drenalin, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Drenalin

Drenalin New Member

I have a deer rack that the one side is broke off after the g1 and I basically have to sculpt the whole thing. Has anyone done this before? What is the best way to do it and what products are the best to use.
    Thanks!

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

I build a wire framework first and make sure it is secure to the existing portion of the rack by drilling it out and using epoxie to bond the framework to the rack. I then proceed to rebuilding the antler with apoxie sculpt, creating chracteristics from the other side. Depending on how big the rack is and how much is missing, you will have to do it in stages. Good luck and enjoy.

3. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

I have done a ton of these for our local taxidermist. I agree with Matt. One thing that is helpful is to rough in the shape slightly skinny and let the epoxie dry, then come back and add a thin coat of epoxie to size and do all your details in this. Another hug help is to go to great lengths to pigment the epoxie to the lightest color of the antlers, then when you do a combination of stains and paints, you can use steel wool, sand paper, solvent-soaked sponges, etc., to make them look natural.

4. Roadkill

Roadkill Jackalopes are Real !!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite way to do them is to first build a wire frame with several different lenghts of wire. I also wrap the wires with some string to hold them from turning. I make the general shape, only about an inch short. I then take some fiberglass and resin and wrap the wire from the broken peice and just keep going till I have covered the whole wire frame but not to the same size as the antler, just a little smaller. when this sets up, you are ready to epoxy and texture.
    You can make some texturing molds with some silicon caulk on the good antler to use to texture the one you are building too.
    Just use the 100% siliconized caulk and put on thin layers and let each layer set before building up more.
    Now all you need is to epoxy a small section at a time, let it harden a bit, then wet the molds and push it into the epoxy to texture it. You can aslo use a bunch of different things, like sandpaper, sponges, terrytowel pieces, even ruff leather.
    After you are done, you just need to paint it wiht several different colors to mathc the other side.
    Epoxy Sculpt sets up a lot like bone, ther is not a lot of need to color it to match the highlighted areas. You jsut need a few Brown colors of paint and some black. Sometimes I use a little gray and light green .

5. Drenalin

Drenalin New Member

Thanks for the information. I have the rack wired and will start to epoxy it next week.