1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

DANGERS of working with Strong PEROXIDE .. a read and learn article

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Sea Wolf, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Ok. Lots of recent questions about peroxide. Below are links to two pages that I have put together. This was an article in one of the recent issues of Breakthrough Magazine. I didn't bother to scan and toy with my OCR settings so it is just scanned as a .jpg. Some areas are a bit blurry but it is entirely readable. Admittedly, this person was using an even stronger peroxide than BO, but I do know some of you out there are using this stronger version

Read this folks ... and be aware of what you are playing with. RIGHT CLICK over the pictures and choose "VIEW IMAGE" to see these big enough to read. You may have to Ctrl,+ a few times to enlarge. If you want to just read the content, scroll below 3 posts to where Lisa M has retyped the entire article. Enlarged pictures from the article are below it.

PAGE 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PAGE 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*** Bill or Ken, it is/was not my intent to do anything wrong by posting this from the magazine. It's just that the information contained therein could possibly save someones life or at least their property by getting them to think. If this crosses the line and is not permitted, please take it down.***

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    LilyDay, BeckyBird and ashtoearth like this.
  2. pims

pims New Member

WOW... I think I'll stick with my 3% for now!

3. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Holy cow. Sea Wolf...I read the whole thing too! Wow. I had to zoom in really close to read it. And so it really sinks in...I typed it all again. (I do that...to set things in my mind...how to's etc.)

Here is the story, typed up, so others can read it too. (I too hope Mr. Cammack won't mind the reprinting.) It's worth the read & then some. Wow.

Secuono likes this.
  4. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

I hope none of us never need the 1-800-424-9300 number for CHEMTREC, but you can bet your biscuits I'm tacking their number in 3-4 different places.

Thank you for sharing this Sea Wolf. ;)

BearBonz likes this.
  5. Sea Wolf

Thanks for retyping that, Lisa. I was lazy and just scanned the pages. You either have a darned good WPM rate .. or did you use OCR software? :) No one has to zoom in on those pages. Simply right clicking on them and looking at the jpg itself should produce a huge page without having to enlarge anything but your retyping is an easier read.

6. Bugz 2 Bonz

Bugz 2 Bonz Skull Cleaning / Central Ohio

I will stick to my 20 volume from Sally's . Take a little longer but a heck of alot safer.

7. yeah i know the stuff is really bad i actually don't use it at that strength i dilute mine but it is good to know.

8. brash

brash dying changes everything

wow. that can be dangerous stuff. though i was careful but will make sure i'm more careful. like to see ken lock this at the top for a week so everybody sees it. thanks again sea wolf

9. frogtoes

frogtoes New Member

Texas
    Thanks Sea Wolf for that post. Absolutely something to keep in mind. I think I'll stick to my 3 % for now... And post the Emergency numbers!
    And thanks Lisa M, for the re-type!!

10. Yep....I posted a few questions about this stuff last week, and learned a LOT about how strong it is. Here is another tip to remember/try for those using rubber gloves when handling this stuff:

I bought the Soft Swim C chemical to use (its 27.5% peroxide) and took the advice of others and the MSDS sheet. I wear safety glasses and have been wearing rubber gloves while handling it. Yesterday I went out to the shed to pull the skulls out of the peroxide mix. Reached down in there, pulled them out, and dunked them a few times in the bucket of water I have to remove as much liquid as possible. After that, I was looking at the skulls and my fingers on both hands starting burning some. So over to the faucet, pull the gloves and start rinsing. You guessed it, fingers start turning white, and they burned some for the next couple of hours even though i rinsed for 15 minutes under cold water. After I was done with the water rinse and cussing intially, I went back to see what happened and "Tested the gloves". To do that is simple...run some water down into them and squeeze the wrist (like your closing up a water balloon). Turns out, I had small holes in a few of the fingers and one thumb on each glove which is where the peroxide got in. It happened because I made the mistake of using those gloves the night before to skn a skull and prep for the beetles. Must have done it with the knife...or on the teeth??Dunno....but that stuff does burn just like the label said. Anyways...tip of the day:

DEDICATE 1 pair of good rubber gloves to the peroxide handling, and TEST THEM regularly. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...Im new around here, BUT that tip listed above is a good example of something that could happen to any one of us messing around with a strong peroxide mix....so figured I'd post my 2 cents. Have a great afternoon!

Thanks for posting the article sea wolf. I doubt anyone would have a copyright problem with it...because the intent of the article is to inform people about the dangers. am also going to write down that phone number and put it in a few places for safety.

LISA...thanks for taking the time to RETYPE it, just in case the article did need to be pulled. Taking the time to do that so the info can stay on Taxi.net is appreciated so we/others can reference the data later.

11. Bob Katz

Bob Katz Lil One- my bestest girlfriend

thanks seawolf, just bought 27% the other day and planning on utilizeing that, now I'm going to be extra careful. My tennants have been busy as beavers and doing great, don't want to know i'VE WASTED MY TIME OR THIERS.

12. Bob Katz

Bob Katz Lil One- my bestest girlfriend

long, long time ago I wanted to try and bleach out a grey squirrel. Put a tail and peroxide in a plastic butter container covered it and left it in the sink in the kitchen. A while later while spending quaulity time with the family there was an explosane it the kitchen, very little mess, butter tub, but no tail. scared me to death.....

13. very insightful post Sea Wolf

14. jonscut

jonscut Member

Nice article but it tells of a severe chemical reaction caused by someone trying to use 50% H2O2. 50% is getting close to fuel grade,and is by far to strong for this purpose. Now everyone is posting about going back to 3%. I think the best lesson that can be learned for this article is to know what you're working with and the handling requirements. Also if you get some one the strong stuff on your hands it can be neutralized with bi sulfite or thiosulfate to stop the burning. I've also used sodium bicarbonate in cold water to neutralize skulls after they are removed for the H2O2 but have never tried it to neutralize when I've gotten some on my hands. I imagine most common alkalines would work to raise the Ph someone correct me if I'm wrong.

15. staffs-skeletons

staffs-skeletons www.skeletonsUK.com

UK
    WOW. I use the strong peroxide and I am always very careful but I'll be extra extra careful now!
    Is there a chemical response team in the UK. Id like that number at hand, just in case!

16. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Good Post Sea Wolf!

17. jonscut

jonscut Member

Like I said it is a good article to post and is informative for people not familiar with H2O2 but the circumstances are extreme in it. 34-35% is probably the most common industrial used H2O2. We use it in our water distribution system, it's used in the food industry, to clean computers componets with,and etc. I personally can't see any reason to use anything stronger but that is just my opinion and my stems for having worked with it for years in both water distribution and on taxidermy. Maybe I'm just desensitized to the product having dealt with it so much. Once again nice article I'm sure you opened a few peoples eyes.

18. jonscut

jonscut Member

Before cyclone reads this and jumps on me I meant pH not Ph in my frist reply.

19. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

pH is the least of your worries.

For high concentrations of H2O2:
    Nowhere in the MSDS does it say bisulfite or thiosulphate will stop the burning. In fact, these two compounds will likely form sulfuric acid upon reaction with H2O2. Don't want that on your fingers either...

First aid measures in the MSDS call for flushing with huge amounts of water followed by a visit to the doctor!
    Nothing else..

For spills or accidental release measures (does not include on one's person!) the MSDS recommends sodium metabisulfite
    or sodium sulfite. to decompose it. Different compounds than what you posted!

"...Hydrogen peroxide may be decomposed by adding sodium metabisulfite
    or sodium sulfite after diluting to about 5%...."

in it's entirety: http://www.h2o2.com/intro/FMC_MSDS_40_to_60.pdf

Now onto the bicarbonate statement..

The reaction of concentrated H2O2 would likely yield sodium percarbonate:
    Here is an excerpt from the MSDS...

Potential Acute Health Effects:
    Very hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of eye contact (irritant). Hazardous in case of ingestion, of
    inhalation. Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (sensitizer). Prolonged exposure may result in skin burns
    and ulcerations. Over-exposure by inhalation may cause respiratory irritation. Inflammation of the eye is
    characterized by redness, watering, and itching. Skin inflammation is characterized by itching, scaling, reddening,
    or, occasionally, blistering.

In it's entirety at: http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927598

Now, do you still want to suggest the bicarb?
    pH and alkalinity have nothing to do with it.

If you don't know what the chemical will do, then you have no business messing with it.

Good post Sea Wolf...it should be permanently stickied to the top of this forum!

20. Sea Wolf

Cyclone ... am I now forgiven for crossing my Carbolic with Carbonic acids? :) I was close now ... and just trying to remember something buried in my head 40 years ago. Sometimes things get fuzzy when you try to remember stuff like that without looking it up again, which I did not do. ;) (I was only off by 1 letter) :)

BearBonz likes this.