1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

DANGERS of working with Strong PEROXIDE .. a read and learn article

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Sea Wolf, Jan 11, 2009.

1. jonscut

jonscut Member

cyclone the bisulfite and thiosulfate are the manufactures recommended neutralizing compounds and both are commonly used products in the water industry. They may not be on any MSDS. I can scan and email some manufacture info on the 35% we get from atlas chemical supply if you like. The sodium bicarbonate is what I was not sure of but I do know it will stop a skull from bubbling in a couple of minutes and I've never had one whiten my hand after removing it from a baking soda bath.

2. jonscut

jonscut Member

Here's a quick link i found http://www.h2o2.com/intro/interferences.html I have better references at work

3. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

I'd bet a nickel that the MSDS's don't recommend putting those on your hands...

4. jonscut

jonscut Member

I wouldn't take that bet. The MSDS will call for mild skin irritation at short exposures and the first aid will call for flushing with water as well but it will stop the H2O2 for burning your hand. Saying that I'm only talking about the tiosufate because I have personal knnowledge of it having used it in the past. I'll also talk to our lab chemist about the NaHCO3 and H2O2 yeilding sodium percarbonate. I not sure that it will I thought Sodium percarbonate was H2O2 and NaHCO2. I'll look it up

5. jonscut

jonscut Member

I meant Na2HCO3 sorry

6. jonscut

jonscut Member

The reaction of concentrated H2O2 would likely yield sodium percarbonate:
    Here is an excerpt from the MSDS...

Potential Acute Health Effects:
    Very hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of eye contact (irritant). Hazardous in case of ingestion, of
    inhalation. Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (sensitizer). Prolonged exposure may result in skin burns
    and ulcerations. Over-exposure by inhalation may cause respiratory irritation. Inflammation of the eye is
    characterized by redness, watering, and itching. Skin inflammation is characterized by itching, scaling, reddening,
    or, occasionally, blistering.

In it's entirety at: http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927598

7. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

Gentlemen Please lets just agry to disagree between you and take this to a PM between yourselves. You are taking away from the actual topic Terri did an awesome job of bringing an actual event to the for front and she is a respected member of S&S.

The more people understand that what we all are playing with isn't that sweet bubbly stuff Mom put on your Boo Boo's and it will eat your skin off if you screw up in the point.

SORRY I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE FIGHTS IN THIS SECTION OF TAXI.NET AND AM ABOUT DONE WITH IT.

I HAVEN'T READ A THREAD IN OVER A WEEK THAT HASN'T STARTED SOME KIND OF PISSING MATCH. GROW THE HELL UP, THE SNOW IS GETTING REALLY DEEP FOR SOME OF US AND A LOT OF US ARE GETTING GRUMPY FROM FIGHTING IT.

Have a GOOD evening and GOOD night

Jeff

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

*pat pats Sarge and gives him some brownies* :)

The one thing I always noticed, was that the S&S crowd was remarkably civil and polite. Unlike a couple of the other categories there were no hissy fits and insult matches leading to ruined threads. Cyclone is just trying to make a point for safety's sake. If anything, it further shows that a simple mistake when mixing two things can lead to disaster.

Don't stomp off, Jeff. We like you here too. :)

9. jonscut

jonscut Member

I couldn't agree more it time to put this one to bed. I'm getting tired of typing rebuttals. Sorry Sarge.

10. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Great post sarge...We've got no snow here..

Oh, and I especially like the post where she urged a 15YO to mix it with flour...

11. Sea Wolf

Being a 15 yr old ... I think we know he was going to do it anyway. I did it myself outside. Wasn't worth the effort. Nothing of interest happened. I was expecting it to make a big mess ... it didn't.

If he was going to mix it with acetone, that's a whole 'nuther deal.

12. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Oy...this thread got grouchy. Maybe I shouldn't have shared the retyping? Those that said thanks, you're welcome, but I did it for myself. I type quickly with accuracy...and the information sinks in better that way. It's just how I learn.

I'm even hesitant to hit "post" below because it'll bring the thread back to the top of the pile. ??? & :-\

13. Sea Wolf

Lisa, Bringing the post back to the top is exactly what you want to do here. The pertinent information is at the top, as is your re-type. That is what folks will read first. :)

14. ReporterSr

ReporterSr If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

Wow! Sea Wolf you've consistently warned about the dangers of the 27% BO. Do you know the extent of its reaction to metal?

15. Thank you Seawolf for posting this valuable info. People should learn from others mistakes, I agree this should be a stickey post!! :)

16. rizzo856

rizzo856 New Member

Thanks for the info Sea Wolf and thanks Lisa for retyping it as a newbie that is a real eye opener.Thanks again.

17. I appreciate the information in this thread. I am fairly new to using peroxide stronger than the drugstore variety and had no idea of the significant dangers the stronger stuff posed. This thread certainly got my attention and I thank you very much.

Sharing information like this is a good thing.

18. Sea Wolf

Apparently. stainless steel is ok with it. I do believe that the violent reaction in the article was caused by Iron. Still it was only a couple of metal filings. You just have to be careful with what your working with and know what it likes and doesn't play nice with. :)

19. Sea Wolf

27% to 30% is more than enough. Anything stronger ... 40% .. now you have really shifted to a dangerous chemical and I would take the same precautions as you would with sulfuric acid. 40% is excessive and really should be diluted to conserve it as well as reduce the danger level of it.

20. Sea Wolf

Maybe this needs to be at the top again.