1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

DANGERS of working with Strong PEROXIDE .. a read and learn article

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Sea Wolf, Jan 11, 2009.

1. hey Sea Wolf, do you find yourself having to keep all your old posts in order to bring them back up again, since everyone seems to forget? lol

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

No. I don't worry about old posts. The beaver maceration one is pretty well buried and I had to hunt to find this one to bring it back. Eventually I just delete the pictures from online to save space.

3. i never forget how dangerouse 50% peroxide is. it still hurts alot everytime i get it on my hands.

4. Sea Wolf

I did say, right from the start, that this person was using something that most do not. There are a couple on here that have said that they had access to this stronger type and were going to try using it. The article was posted as a word to the wise. To point out what you are playing with. It should be handles with care and respect. Just as any other chemical. Talk of putting aquarium heaters into BO to heat it, and a few other experiments prompted me to dig this out for all to see. The self combusting rag was something I would not have thought of. Reserving that effect to oily rags only is obviously in error and also wisely avoided.

Reading the article, panicking and going back to 3% would be like saying that you were giving up drinking water because someone drowned in it. Read and learn, if nothing else, to think about what you are doing ... is all.

5. Admittedly, I did give up drinking water for that very reason.

6. Very good article thanks for posting it I also use the 27% stuff for sure always use protective gloves and glasses or goggles.

7. jevic035

jevic035 Member

thanks for that post sea wolf & thank to lisa m for retyping the article

8. Sea Wolf

If you right click and view image on the photos of the actual pages you can read them. Lots of folks just try to zoom in on the page which doesn't work. You can also see the pictures of the damage that was done. This post isn't stuck to the top and has to be periodically brought back from time to time. :)

9. i just looked at the pictures. :eek:

jeez.

i'll stick with my 3%! :-X

10. komodo_28

komodo_28 New Member

Does the 27% get skulls whiter than the 3% or does it just take less time? Also can you use latex gloves or do you want thicker gloves?

11. even with 3% i wear nitril gloves (i hate latex).

BearBonz likes this.
  12. Sea Wolf

The stronger peroxides do seem to make the bone whiter. Especially on larger, heavier skulls. It also takes less time. Personally, I don't use gloves. I use wooden tongs to remove specimens from the bucket and place them immediately into hot water to rinse and get the peroxide out of the bone. The hot water accelerates the last of the peroxide left in the bone. Doesn't have to be done. Just a personal thing. I also have running water close by and constantly wash off my hands if I think any got on them. I would not want to be wearing gloves and have them have a hole in them. To have that peroxide leak through and be held against the skin for even a few seconds would not be something I would want. When I work with the peroxide and acetone I am doubly, triply careful NOT to splash it. If I grab anything that is still wet with peroxide my hand immediately goes into the clean water to rinse it off. It's not difficult. You just take precautions with it.

13. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

Great thread for all the newbie's here and in the future Sea Wolf. My biggest caution is EYES. I wear reading glasses anyways but make darn sure they are on when pouring up h2o2. Fingers are one thing but eyes......ouch

BearBonz likes this.
  14. Sea Wolf

Eyes hit with BO will be permanently blinded before you can even rinse them. Can't stress that enough. The damage done will be irreparable.

15. PA

PA Well-Known Member

One thing people might think about when purchasing strong hydrogen peroxide and even acetone is that you may be watched by the government. For those that didn't catch it today, the terrorist in Denver was caught buying chemicals that can be made into bombs. They specifically mentioned Sally Beauty Supply and strong peroxide and then also Acetone. I didn't catch where he purchased the latter chemical though. Both chemicals are dangerous, especially very strong peroxide which I wouldn't be surprised will be removed from the store shelves in a few years if not sooner.

16. Sea Wolf

I actually asked a cashier at Sally's the other day about that. I asked if they had a policy to take note of people buying large quantities of peroxide and acetone. She said, "No". ... That corporates and commercial companies often bought large quantities and they didn't take notice at all nor was it the policy to. I bet that will change.

17. mahatma

mahatma Vertex

Texas
    I talked to Sally's in a town close to me to see what quantity H2O2 I could buy (half gallon etc.). The lady informed me they had 40 vol which she said is 12% in a half gallon. I told her about this article and she said they had 50 (I dont know if that is a percent or a description) but that is could only be sold to professionals. Most of the people I know in the beauty business dont know chemistry as well as I do. The last thing they need is something that accidentally mishandled can cause a reaction you cant stop.

Thanks Sea Wolf for the article. I love the way it was written, the guy sounds like me in some of the bigger mistakes I have made. And thanks Lisa M. I have been e-mailing this to friends. I tell them about it on the phone and they want to read it.

18. BTT

This should be bumped up once a month or pinned to the top ;D

Thanks Seawolf

BearBonz likes this.
  19. Sea Wolf

Glad that someone bumped it. It answers a lot of questions too. Ken or someone has to pin it. Not something I can do and a lot have asked.

20. Sea Wolf

Time for a bump :)